Sponsored by:

Track Safety - Harness Setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 01:47 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts
Default Track Safety - Harness Setup

I couldn't find a dedicated thread....I did search the first 3 pages of results.

I'm looking to get my GT3 set up for track to make it as safe as it can be from a restraint perspective. Bit confused with info out there and my lack of knowledge on this topic.

I'm probably going with a CMS bar and now need to match a harness, I want to go with Schroth.

a) Schroth Profi II 6 point seems to be recommended for GT3. It was discontinued last year. Replacement is Flexi 2x2.
b) Do I need a special sub belt mount bracket?
c) Can I use the brackets included with Flex 2x2 to bolt to factory mounting points in a 991.2 GT3 w/LWB? Driver and Passenger.

Thanks!

Old 11-22-2018, 02:02 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I regretted getting the 6 point on my prior track toy. Laying the buckle and lap belts low on the hip, the crotch sub-belts and metal clips dig into my groins. I'm shopping for 5 points for my current car,

As I understand it, you have to get a separate sub belt mount.

You do know the passenger bucket seat needs to have a hole made for the sub belt, right? Only the drivers seat has a sub belt hole in the 991.2 GT3
Old 11-22-2018, 02:14 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 387 Posts

If using harness' be sure to use a roll bar not just harness bar, otherwise your back is the roll bar
Old 11-22-2018, 02:29 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Palting
I regretted getting the 6 point on my prior track toy. Laying the buckle and lap belts low on the hip, the crotch sub-belts and metal clips dig into my groins. I'm shopping for 5 points for my current car,

As I understand it, you have to get a separate sub belt mount.

You do know the passenger bucket seat needs to have a hole made for the sub belt, right? Only the drivers seat has a sub belt hole in the 991.2 GT3
Yes I read that in one of the install guides today and another RL user mentioned. He said people run 4 points on the passenger seat to avoid the cutting.

What 5 point models are you looking at?
Old 11-22-2018, 02:30 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbodan
If using harness' be sure to use a roll bar not just harness bar, otherwise your back is the roll bar
Will likely go with this bar - https://competitionmotorsport.com/cm...-gt3-and-gt3rs

Old 11-22-2018, 02:40 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

There are so many Porsche specific belts to choose from. Check out these listings

​​​​​​https://www.schrothracing.com/produc...e-harnessbelts
Old 11-22-2018, 02:58 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Only the drivers seat has a sub belt hole in the 991.2 GT3
What about the 991.1? I assume the same?
Old 11-22-2018, 04:08 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 188 Posts

Few things to keep in mind:
  • If you plan on running DE events with PCA and ever want to have an instructor riding shotgun, you'll need the same safety setup for both driver and passenger--can't run a 6-point harness for driver and a 4-point for passenger.
  • If you haven't done this before, have a reputable race shop do the installation. There are lots of details that are very important (some not so obvious) during the install to make the system work correctly and safely.
  • When the Schroth belts are installed, make sure that they are placed correctly. There is actually a left and right shoulder belt for each set. I've seen pictures on rennlist of rollbar and Schroth harness setups done by well-known shops that have the left and right-side shoulder belts reversed. Look on the Schroth website for pictures of the correct orientation. The line under the Schroth name should be toward the center, not the outside. This matters because the metal buckle tabs at the end of each belt are angled as they fit into the center camlock. If the shoulder belts are reversed, the angles will be incorrect as they enter the camlock.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:09 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Why don't people go with the 4 point if you have factory LWB? Schroth has a belt for those exact carbon seats. Albeit it's not competition FIA approved. But for those who aren't racing, does that make a difference.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:10 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skxf430
There are so many Porsche specific belts to choose from. Check out these listings

​​​​​​https://www.schrothracing.com/produc...e-harnessbelts
Just took a look. Didn't realize there is a 4 point specifically for the Porsche LWB. Makes total sense if you don't need a FIA competition harness. Unless somebody can point out otherwise.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:14 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paradocs98
Few things to keep in mind:
  • If you plan on running DE events with PCA and ever want to have an instructor riding shotgun, you'll need the same safety setup for both driver and passenger--can't run a 6-point harness for driver and a 4-point for passenger.
  • If you haven't done this before, have a reputable race shop do the installation. There are lots of details that are very important (some not so obvious) during the install to make the system work correctly and safely.
  • When the Schroth belts are installed, make sure that they are placed correctly. There is actually a left and right shoulder belt for each set. I've seen pictures on rennlist of rollbar and Schroth harness setups done by well-known shops that have the left and right-side shoulder belts reversed. Look on the Schroth website for pictures of the correct orientation. The line under the Schroth name should be toward the center, not the outside. This matters because the metal buckle tabs at the end of each belt are angled as they fit into the center camlock. If the shoulder belts are reversed, the angles will be incorrect as they enter the camlock.
Thanks for the input!

Your first point is coming into effect for PCA UCR. I didn't know it was right down to exactly the same equipment, where 4 and 6 makes a difference. Guess it makes sense though.

Haven't done it before. I took a look at the manual and for sure it's all critical. Ideally I'd have an experienced shop do it but important to understand and be able to check it on your own too.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:30 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
Just took a look. Didn't realize there is a 4 point specifically for the Porsche LWB. Makes total sense if you don't need a FIA competition harness. Unless somebody can point out otherwise.
I have the single piece LWBS and was also looking at these 4 point harnesses. I will not be racing - only doing DE... So I am only looking for a setup that works with a HANS device. (I would do the same setup for both seats.)

I am in the same boat... and, presumably, this 4 point would work with the seat and the HANS?

Old 11-22-2018, 04:34 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Seems the 4pt will be fine for DE and you don't have to mess with a sub belt attachment or having to change out the seat bracket.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:37 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackOptic

I have the single piece LWBS and was also looking at these 4 point harnesses. I will not be racing - only doing DE... So I am only looking for a setup that works with a HANS device. (I would do the same setup for both seats.)

I am in the same boat... and, presumably, this 4 point would work with the seat and the HANS?
I will hook up a Hans as well. I think you need 2" belts for those and I believe these are 2". So I think it would work. I will try calling Schroth USA when they reopen.

Competition Motorsports is doing 15%, so would be great to take advantage of that.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:41 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Both 3" and 2" are Hans compatible but the 2" fits the Hans a bit better. Also, Wine Country and Apex are having 20% discounts too.

Quick Reply: Track Safety - Harness Setup