Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 versus 991.1 GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2020 | 05:17 PM
merc5326
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cay_PI
First, the 4.0 isnt exactly the cup engine. Its the basis and close. But not the same. As allways with the street vs. race engines. Cup has a sequential gearbox and ultra light flywheel.

I have further information on the SMFW topic regarding our street cars. For the manual gearboxes, its a traditional flywheel (dual mass in the .2; dual mass or single mass if speced in the R). The PDK cars dont have a traditional flywheel. The part doing the "flywheel job" is part of the PDK box. In the .1 its a lightweight part, comparable to a SMFW. For the .2 tranny they used a heavier one to bring down vibrations. Thats why you dont have the goergous tranny noises anymore. In the parts catalogue they use a standard terminology (DMFW) for all PDK cars.

Btw. if your .1 PDK dies you end up with a replacement part without the noises Also, fitting a SMFW to a .2 works but increases the stress on the bearings.
I wanted to revisit this since I recently drove my friends 991.2 PDK car, maybe it's just my imagination, as I'm now in ultra aware mode to see if there's a difference and it does feel like there's a slight nervous idle / chunter. That's kinda of a bummer if my manual car doesn't have that chunter (since I like it) and the PDK car does. I do have a BBI bypass on my manual .2 and maybe that drowns out what I'm hearing in his car, since he has the stock set up. Anyone else driven both manual and PDK .2 cars and have any input. Thank you!

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 versus 991.1 GT3RS