Sponsored by:

GT3 Input Request from a Noob

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018 | 11:42 AM
Thor's
Racer

Default GT3 Input Request from a Noob

Hello Rennlist Members,

I’ve been lurking on the site now for about 6 months and appreciate everyone’s insight about the GT3 991.1 and 991.2 GT3 models. About 9 months from now, I hope to begin my search and purchase of my first and suspect last Porsche as it will be my retirement present to myself after 36 years of employment. My father and I have restored mid-year Corvettes (63 - 67 Stingrays) for many years and the last one we completed sits in my garage. Since I would like a “modern” sports car, I’ve settled on Porsche’s Carrera GT3. The car will be strictly a toy for my use and an occasional evening out with the little woman for local dinner/ice-cream.

I am pretty much settled on a 991.1 and was wondering if folks wouldn’t mind giving me a few tips for screening possible purchases. As an example, I’ve already determined that I “need” the front axle lift system on the car. I also am aware of the motor issue in 2014 and Porsche replacing these engines with extended warrantee. Would you please respond with any other pointers/nuances… it would be very much appreciated.

Last question… for those who have had a 991.1 versus a 991.2 are there things you liked better about the 991.1 that you like better than the 991.2?

Thanks!

Old 11-04-2018 | 01:04 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Welcome aboard. A few things to keep in mind. I think you want the 4 way or 18 way seats, since they are very comfortable and great if you aren’t tracking the car. PCCBs will last a very long time if street miles only, and no brake dust. But the iron brakes are great too. The engine is covered for 10 years or 120,000 miles from in-service date, so no engine worries until late 2024 most likely. I think the .1 is a better looking car than the .2 but totally subjective. The price difference between the two gens is pretty significant, but that reflects the fact that the .2 4L engine will always be more desirable. All in all you can’t go wrong with the .1 because they are great cars, 95% of what the .2 is, and the price is right. Just find one spec’d the way you like it, try to get cpo, and have a ppi done to make sure everything is good. One bit of warning. This car will ruin you. No going back after owning a GT3. It screws up everything you think a sports car should be about. You have been warned!

Good luck!
Old 11-04-2018 | 03:27 PM
2006m5
Banned

Robs words are very wise.
Old 11-04-2018 | 04:56 PM
Thor's
Racer

Question

Originally Posted by robmypro
Welcome aboard. A few things to keep in mind. I think you want the 4 way or 18 way seats, since they are very comfortable and great if you aren’t tracking the car. PCCBs will last a very long time if street miles only, and no brake dust. But the iron brakes are great too. The engine is covered for 10 years or 120,000 miles from in-service date, so no engine worries until late 2024 most likely. I think the .1 is a better looking car than the .2 but totally subjective. The price difference between the two gens is pretty significant, but that reflects the fact that the .2 4L engine will always be more desirable. All in all you can’t go wrong with the .1 because they are great cars, 95% of what the .2 is, and the price is right. Just find one spec’d the way you like it, try to get cpo, and have a ppi done to make sure everything is good. One bit of warning. This car will ruin you. No going back after owning a GT3. It screws up everything you think a sports car should be about. You have been warned!

Good luck!
Thanks Rob! Thanks about the tip for the seats... my first inclination was to look for a car with the racing buckets since they look cool, but I've noticed some guys taking them out of their cars and replacing them with the seats you mention. I sat in a GT4 with those seats and they were a bit difficult to get in and out of the car. My bud tells me those seats are the seats from hell! LoL! So at this point, I think I am opting out of the racing seats since they would be more for show than go. I will not be putting the car on the track.

I also share your view on the aesthetics of the 997.1 versus 991.2. I like the air intake on the .1 v versus the .2 even though the .2 looks more aggressive. Strictly a taste thing for sure and a first world decision! Agree with your comment about pricing and I'm thinking they may be even more reasonable once I'm ready come 2Q19 or 3AQ19.

Not sure what a CPO and PPI is at this point though.. is it an electronic report from the computer in regard to over revving?
Old 11-04-2018 | 06:38 PM
scb997
Instructor

Originally Posted by Thor's
Not sure what a CPO and PPI is at this point though.. is it an electronic report from the computer in regard to over revving?
CPO - certified pre-owned. A Porsche Service Center performs certain inspections and Porsche extends the warranty.
PPI - pre-purchase inspection. A Porsche Service Center does a formal inspection of the car and writes a report.

Quick Reply: GT3 Input Request from a Noob