Sponsored by:

winter coming, current best simulator choice

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 08:04 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Default winter coming, current best simulator choice

so I know Ive asked before, but still haven't bought a new one, what the best set up for an imitation nürburgring to enjoy over winter, am wanting to get pedals and wheel, ease of set up a plus, playstiaon? X-box or PC?
Old 11-03-2018, 08:07 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

I tried PS4 with Assetto Corsa and Thrustmaster T300 GT. Relatively inexpensive set up under $1000 excluding TV.
I ended up returning the wheel because after some use, it would heat up and go into limp mode (meaning no force feedback).
Old 11-04-2018, 02:08 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

my last set up was a ps3 GT4 and fanatec wheel pedals, not easy to set up
Old 11-04-2018, 09:10 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

iRacing with Oculus Rift will provide the best immersion. Oculus Rift will give you all the elevation changes because of being 3D, The biggest down side is that with Oculus Rift you won't have the clear definition that you would have with a monitor - and needs the best/current graphics card.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:02 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

Xbox One, Forza, Fanatec CLubsport Bundle and a Playseat.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:36 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
Xbox One, Forza, Fanatec CLubsport Bundle and a Playseat.
I have this setup with the One X except with the Fanatec cockpit and Sparco seat. So far running Forza and F1, soon to add Asseto and Project Cars. Using the curved Samsung monitor.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:45 PM
hushypushy
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
my last set up was a ps3 GT4 and fanatec wheel pedals, not easy to set up
Perhaps you should ask for outside help? With a console you need to do little more than plug everything in and turn it on. PC will give you a better experience, but all the setup is much more complicated. Worth it, in my opinion (I've been PC sim racing for years).

The Ring is in pretty much everything these days, but I'd recommend Assetto Corsa for the fun factor. It has the 911R and 991.1 GT3 RS

iRacing is the best for competitive racing. I also really enjoy rFactor2 and Project CARS (both 1 and 2).

But if you want to just dick around casually, you will still have a lot of fun with a PS4 and Gran Turismo Sport, or an Xbox and Forza 7.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:04 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I have this setup with the One X except with the Fanatec cockpit and Sparco seat. So far running Forza and F1, soon to add Asseto and Project Cars. Using the curved Samsung monitor.
Cool! I mounted my seat rig onto a carpeted wood platform on wheels that I built. It's in the basement. I wheel it in front of my 75" TV when in use. I also have a butt kicker but can't seem to get it to work with my new receiver. Gotta play with it more.

What are your wheel setting with Forza?

Do you use the standard flat bottom clubsport wheel? Have you tried their other ones?
Old 11-04-2018, 09:08 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hushypushy
Perhaps you should ask for outside help? With a console you need to do little more than plug everything in and turn it on. PC will give you a better experience, but all the setup is much more complicated. Worth it, in my opinion (I've been PC sim racing for years).

The Ring is in pretty much everything these days, but I'd recommend Assetto Corsa for the fun factor. It has the 911R and 991.1 GT3 RS

iRacing is the best for competitive racing. I also really enjoy rFactor2 and Project CARS (both 1 and 2).

But if you want to just dick around casually, you will still have a lot of fun with a PS4 and Gran Turismo Sport, or an Xbox and Forza 7.
Fanatec kit and console are not easy to setup imo. Fair bit of custom options. I flight sim on PC so totally get the breadth of possibilities.

Do you have your PC hooked up to a TV or monitor?
Old 11-04-2018, 09:34 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

iRacing spread across triple monitors with something like the Accuforce and a really good set of pedals makes for great experience. An i7 8600k, 8 gigs of memory and something like a GTX1070 can pull this off quite well. I can't help you on consoles as I am a PC only driver.

The Leo Bodnar, SImExperience Accuforce and the OSW or Open Sim Wheel are all top flight steering systems of varying expense. I am an Accuforce user and would not part with it. The little green mount is where I sit an Amazon Fire tablet that I use for a set of gauges but is not in the photo.

Plenty of good pedal choices out there. I use a set of home brew CST style pedals with a hydraulic cylinder for a true pressure based brake pedal. It gives you that initial soft 1/4 inch of travel followed by pressure loading just as you would experience in the car and makes it a good place to work on your heel/toe foot work. I machines all of my set up my self but there are plenty of vendors building good pedals. ProtoSimTech makes a nice setup but there may be a wait time if your order them. Heusinkveld also makes a really nice set up.

Lots of really good controls being produced at the moment. If you need something that functions in both the PC and console environment then the Fanatec controls are hard to beat for that. If you go the PC route and iRacing you get full telemetry and can view or analyze that via several different tools such a Motec i2 or via the McLaren Electronics Atlas package. There are some other utilities for this purpose as well and those can be found in the iRacing forums. I have a group of my fellow retired motorcycle racers that get together quite a bit and we all run in racing leagues during the winter. Lots of good fun to be had.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:44 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

^you have a serious PC kit!

Old 11-04-2018, 09:50 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

Mine's not even half of what some guys are out there doing. There are guys doing 3 and 4 DOF setups. Some of them have as much in their virtual race rig as some people spend Miata racing.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:10 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Cool! I mounted my seat rig onto a carpeted wood platform on wheels that I built. It's in the basement. I wheel it in front of my 75" TV when in use. I also have a butt kicker but can't seem to get it to work with my new receiver. Gotta play with it more.

What are your wheel setting with Forza?

Do you use the standard flat bottom clubsport wheel? Have you tried their other ones?
I'm still playing around with the settings and haven't had enough time with it yet to really dial them in exactly as I like. There's so much adjustment possible on both on the wheel and in the game that it makes my head spin. I'm been testing one change at a time to make sure I don't get too confused. Right now I've got a lot of feedback selected across the board.

I have the standard Forza clubsport wheel and I also have the McLaren GT3 wheel, but I haven't used the McLaren wheel yet. Been too busy with other things and the weather is beautiful this time of year out here. I expect once the weather turns in December, I'll dive into it harder.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:11 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Fanatec kit and console are not easy to setup imo.
I found it pretty easy once I found the Fanatec manuals on the Interwebs. They send you almost no documentation with the wheel.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:37 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 737 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
so I know Ive asked before, but still haven't bought a new one, what the best set up for an imitation nürburgring to enjoy over winter, am wanting to get pedals and wheel, ease of set up a plus, playstiaon? X-box or PC?
What is your goal? Is it competitive racing or just having fun driving? If racing, then I think definitely iRacing over any console simulator.

What is your budget? iRacing does require a pretty high-end graphics card. We tried running it on a high-end i7 gaming laptop and had a severe frame-rate issues. Now running a server with i7 16Gb and 1070 graphics and it runs well.

Quick Reply: winter coming, current best simulator choice