Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For the road: GT3 or 3RS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 12:46 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

OP- as mainly a street car, if you are very uncomfortable with the attention of the RS, I could definitely understand switching back to the less aggressive looking GT3. They are both SUPER enjoyable on the street, and are similar enough from the cabin that I don't think you will miss the RS, except when you walk up to it. If you can live w that, then I say switch back. It's not like you don't know both experiences, and if you are thinking about it enough to write up a post, then don't listen to people who have RS envy, or need to always yell "RS is RS!" to boost egos, and drive the car that suits you and your personality the best.

It's not like the choice is between an RS and a regular car.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:09 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I think it also depends on where you live, and the conditions of the roads. I would personally never daily drive a GT3 or RS, but that is because I view these cars as weekend toys. If I wanted a DD and needed a 911, I would probably go Turbo.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:13 PM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

While I don't DD my .1 RS, it puts a smile on my face anytime I drive it. Whether cruising around town, running errands or going to the track. For me I don't care about comfort or noise unless I'm going on a >4 hour trip. Heck, I'd drive a cup car on the road if I could
Old 10-08-2018, 01:28 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSBoneDoc
Both cars are tremendous. Putting the 6MT aside and just PDK v PDK, do you guys think the GT3 is a superior road car?

I am smitten with how my RS drives but kind of miss the (slightly) more subtle looks of my winged GT3 and don't love the attention the RS gets when I get back into town from a spirited drive haha.
I'm curious what your definition is of a "superior road car", since appearances (subtle looks and attention seeking RS) should not come into play, if by superior road car, you mean tractability as a DD or weekend touring car.

You may have answered your own question. If you're smitten by the way the RS drives, then that's that. If it's a matter of looks, then that shouldn't factor into which model is the "superior road car."

Last edited by C5driver; 10-08-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:43 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 28 Posts

I have had a 991.1 GT3, 991.1 RS, 991.2 RS and that's the same order on how they drive on the road with the .2 RS being the best.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:51 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,128 Likes on 2,889 Posts

One advantage that the GT3 has over the RS on the road is its narrower track. In fact, I find even the GT3 a bit wide for much street driving (it has the wider hips of a C4). A C2 or 911T is actually better in this respect than the GT3 (and of course older 911's really have a big advantage in this respect - you can actually choose your line through a corner, rather than just keeping the car between the painted lines...)

Last edited by GrantG; 10-08-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:30 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 161 Posts

Any 911 can be a DD if you are determined. My choice for a DD 911 would be a turbo. I own one as well as a GT3MT, had an RS.1 incoming RS.2. If I could have only one and didn't have to drive it everyday it would be the RS. My favorite 911 ever.
My real DD is a Cayenne Turbo S.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:52 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 278 Posts

I can only speak for myself but since I don't really track my GT3, but use it for canyons/back roads/and just enjoyable drives like on the PCH I much prefer the looks of the GT3 to the RS. Drivability I would guess to be almost the same with the RS maybe being a bit more stiff on the .2 supposedly. Difficulty of obtaining an allocation and price aside, I wasn't a fan of the kick down the doors and take names looks of the RS with the huge wing, wider body, 21 rear wheels, fender vents, side stripes, NACA ducts etc. GT3 strikes a perfect balance between "regular" 911 and RS *solely in my opinion*, similar to the Turbo/TurboS. Turbo will be much more cushioned and more comfortable to daily than the GT3 but I will take the GT3 over the Turbo. At the end of the day though all these cars are amazing and one could argue we are splitting hairs... if you have an RS as your daily you are living good!!
Old 10-08-2018, 03:28 PM
rsisrs
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gt3 for sure
Old 10-08-2018, 04:53 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

GT3 all the way
Old 10-08-2018, 05:11 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 102 Posts

Ever watch a dog chase his tail? Round and round never catching it. It reminds me of track work. Round and round same turns, same braking points, same straights all done within a couple of minutes and do the same thing over and over again. I rather chew on glass.

Exercising the Gt3 or RS on back roads and canyons different turns, speeds, braking and the necessary awareness of unanticipated road occurrence all enhance the experience of spirited road driving. Situational driving is the ultimate driving experience.

That said and in fairness to track junkies, I should point out I have average driving skills and that may explain my preference for spirited street driving.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:51 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 169 Posts

For DD get a Macan or Cayenne. That way you can park it for lunch or at Costco and not be too worried. Plus more room and easier to drive in rush hour. Also at work, unless you don't care, either a GT3 or RS would be too much "in your face" to my employees for my taste. Lots of other reminders about some people having the money to buy expensive toys while others work hard to pay bills. That's is reality and there is no reason to flaunt my far greater means. Maybe you work with a lot of people that have and do flaunt their wealth and you want to fit in, then go for it. Maybe you get your thrills by impressing folks that just have less money than you do too. I'd call that a character flaw, but hey that's me. For spirited driving on the road or on the track, the GT3 and RS are both going to be a blast. But, face it, almost no owners of either car can extract much of what they can offer performance wise beyond a base 911, especially on the road. And for far less money (at least for the car) you can buy a real race car and see how your driving skills match up with others prepared to spend about what you did. Otherwise, unless you track them imho they are just peacock suits. I suppose that is better than buying them to keep in private hermetically sealed garages. Something like never having sex with your supermodel wife to save her for her next husband. But not by much.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:28 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robmypro
I think it also depends on where you live, and the conditions of the roads. I would personally never daily drive a GT3 or RS, but that is because I view these cars as weekend toys. If I wanted a DD and needed a 911, I would probably go Turbo.
You know, this is a good point- your local road conditions make or break a car. My buddy had an older GT2 and hated it, but lived in San Francisco- lots of oil and moisture on the roads, trolley tracks, tons of hills and stop lights, and NO WHERE to park where you felt good about it.
He told me all about his woes and why he sold his GT2, and how maybe me buying a GT3 wasn't a great idea, but none of his complaints were relevant to me. I have a private garage, I live in a roomy suburban neighborhood, and I live within like a 5 min drive of the mountain range. Buying the GT3 was the best decision I have made outside of marrying my wife, buying my first house, and having my kids.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:34 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C5driver
I'm curious what your definition is of a "superior road car", since appearances (subtle looks and attention seeking RS) should not come into play, if by superior road car, you mean tractability as a DD or weekend touring car.

You may have answered your own question. If you're smitten by the way the RS drives, then that's that. If it's a matter of looks, then that shouldn't factor into which model is the "superior road car."
A road car must be parked on a street occasionally, or used to give a lift to a buddy, or special lady friend, and needs to be gassed up at fuel stations frequented by mere mortals, who REALLY want to talk to you about your supercar. I would love to have an RS as a road toy, but I can see why some would prefer a GT3.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:46 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Ever watch a dog chase his tail? Round and round never catching it. It reminds me of track work. Round and round same turns, same braking points, same straights all done within a couple of minutes and do the same thing over and over again. I rather chew on glass.

Exercising the Gt3 or RS on back roads and canyons different turns, speeds, braking and the necessary awareness of unanticipated road occurrence all enhance the experience of spirited road driving. Situational driving is the ultimate driving experience.

That said and in fairness to track junkies, I should point out I have average driving skills and that may explain my preference for spirited street driving.
My worst day on the race track is better than my best day driving on public roads..........

But, thats why they make all flavors of 911's - or the same flavor thats really good a both.....

Quick Reply: For the road: GT3 or 3RS?