991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Touring air filters

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 05:13 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts
Default GT3 Touring air filters

I just noticed the Touring air filters are placed higher
than the regular GT3 one

very close to the top side
they benefit the gurney flap which when open
will let much more air flowing through the filters

also you can remove( without uninstalling the rear bumper ) a little filter which will certainly decrease big filters durability a bit but provide even more airflow (and sound at 9k rpm)

so now it's clear that GT3 Touring filters are designed differently than any other normally aspirated 991.1 and .2 to (through gurney flap openings) to get a ram air effect needed by the 500hp engine indeed

well done Porsche

Last edited by fxz; 10-05-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:03 PM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Touring has cone BMC filters whereas winged GT3 has boxed paper filters
GT3RS has also BMC filters but same type as winged GT3, which actually might be the only difference between GT3 and GT3 RS.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:43 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero

Old 10-06-2018, 05:02 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

From inside the bumper:

Old 10-06-2018, 05:53 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Did you open them up to see if they are BMC or paper?
Old 10-07-2018, 12:02 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
...also you can remove( without uninstalling the rear bumper ) a little filter which will certainly decrease big filters durability a bit but provide even more airflow (and sound at 9k rpm)
Those “little filters” look a lot like the “membrane” from the 997 non-gt3 intake. It didn’t let air in. It’s purpose was to allow more intake sound to be heard.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:50 AM
fxz
Race Car

Originally Posted by alpine-al

Those “little filters” look a lot like the “membrane” from the 997 non-gt3 intake. It didn’t let air in. It’s purpose was to allow more intake sound to be heard.

The membranes once removed let more air straight to the big filters
as you can see by the thread title and pics the touring (only?) when had the gurney flap open forces more air straight to the 2 membranes

the problem eventually (for the filters which are relatively cheap) would be a rainy or dusty road

indeed more sound because more air

but here we have the explanation why the Touring sounds louder (the membranes are closer to the top and gurney flap opened has also big openings to them

Last edited by fxz; 10-07-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:21 AM
fxz
Race Car

Old 10-07-2018, 10:26 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

There doesn’t appear to be a seal between the inlet at the base of the spoiler and the plastic housing around the air filters, is that correct?
Old 10-07-2018, 10:45 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Thank you. BMC confirmed. Ugh.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:36 PM
fxz
Race Car

Originally Posted by Petevb
There doesn’t appear to be a seal between the inlet at the base of the spoiler and the plastic housing around the air filters, is that correct?
Hi Pete

correct just removed the white memranes with a screwdriver

a very quick test doesn t look so promising as it was when i did it in my .1GT3

i ll repeat the test when back home on next WE
Old 10-08-2018, 06:03 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
Hi Pete

correct just removed the white memranes with a screwdriver

a very quick test doesn t look so promising as it was when i did it in my .1GT3

i ll repeat the test when back home on next WE
I would not modify the OEM air path like that. Porsche spent the money to put those membranes in while leaving it sealed there for a reason. For example, aero might be pulling a vacuum at that particular spot and reducing effective power if the air box is open there.

Last edited by Mech33; 10-08-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:50 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I installed BMC filters on my .2 GT3. Purchased them from fabspeed. Pretty easy to install and probably gives a few hp.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:53 PM
marchitect
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

So, Mr. Turtleneck in his YouTube video actually has a keen sense of hearing and was correct. The Touring sound is at least different than the 'winged' GT3. Air intake makes a big difference on the sounds we drivers hear. Since the air intake on a Touring is very different than on the Winged GT3, we have our answer. There was so much confusion about why the should difference between Winged and Touring versions. It's all about the air intake, not reduction of sound insulation, crazy YouTube reviewers, different emission requirements, or what have you. This all makes perfect sense now. Thank you.

Originally Posted by fxz

indeed more sound because more air

but here we have the explanation why the Touring sounds louder (the membranes are closer to the top and gurney flap opened has also big openings to them
Old 10-21-2018, 12:57 AM
fxz
Race Car

Interestingly the Touring is the only n.a. 991 GT with conic air filters
but to make things even more complicated
the Touring produced after 29 April 18 have a different air filter and air filter housing part numbers

we need a kind picture from rennlisters of recently delivered Tourings without the bumper to see the difference

if they changed the filter design i think ordering and installing the new ones is a worth and cheap, doable in 30 minutes, upgrade

Last edited by fxz; 10-21-2018 at 01:18 AM.

Quick Reply: GT3 Touring air filters