Sponsored by:

GT car / Salesman - Shiraaz Sookralli - Champion Porsche's VP of Marketing

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 11:10 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by ginmqi
Yeah, it's spreading like wild fire. Just got picked up on reddit.com/r/cars earlier today: https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/commen...che_dealer_in/

And also got posted to Corvette Forum as well: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-deposits.html
Who needs CNN, FOX and BBC with outlets like those?!
Old 09-14-2018, 11:12 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 330 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
This is a very good point.

The perpetrator of this fraud was very aware of the weaknesses of the Champions "accounting controls." Which he easily circumvented and defrauded the company.

The question becomes - did the accounting firm who audits Champion provide Champion with the advice necessary to ensure those controls were in place?

So, the accounting firm is in a liability position. As is the bank, if they allowed the perpetrator to set up a personal account when the company expressly told the bank not to do such a thing.
Financial statement audits are relatively rare outside of the publicly trade groups. More likely, Champion uses a CPA firm to prepare tax returns and that’s it.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:17 PM
ginmqi
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Correct. God forbid they have any moral obligation or respect for their end users though.
Very true. Similar to that infamous United airlines incident and that doctor that got beaten up. Afterwards United had no legal obligation to do anything but they knew what had to be done and the compensation now is something like 10k for involuntary de-boarding.

Originally Posted by Es macht nichts
Who needs CNN, FOX and BBC with outlets like those?!

Don't forget Jalopnik and The Drive!

But yeah as much as this story hurts the car enthusiast community and P car owners specifically...probably a tiny fish to fry compared to the national/international news outlets like CNN/BBC/FOX/etc....

A 100 million dollar medicare fraud busted by the feds in Florida? Yup, that'll get national attention.
A 2.5M scheme? probably happens...more than we think. You'll see local news blips of accountants or local treasures getting busted. A local Hawaiian woman was just busted for defrauding a charity of almost 1 million dollars over many years.

Plus not to mention lot of the public may have little sympathy for the "rich" Porsche customers who got screwed over in their car buying....talk about 1st world problems. (obviously doesn't make it right at all...)
Old 09-14-2018, 11:22 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

so at least we see more behind the curtain, always wondered who the "brokers" are and how they get access, in this case, Shiraaz is their inside man. The broker brings the mark to him for his cut, the ADM game lines their pockets and creates the problem. The dealership officially sells the car yet Shiraaz sells the car at ADM and keeps it for himself and pays the broker out of his take. Its an ugly whoring business. Who are the brokers? Is Shiraaz on the run because of civil suits, or does he owe the brokers? or did he kill Maraj? Was Marajs death an accident or foul play? Was he taken out because he confronted Sookralli or did the "brokers" need him gone so Shiraaz could continue? If Maraj knew about Sookralli why didnt he do something, did he have something on Maraj or maybe a family connection in the old country?

Liability-if Champion Porsche knew of Champion Motorsports and Sookrallis dirty dealing or should of known they have exposure, they allowed him to use their business, his standing there and the resources of Champion Porsche to continue his criminal enterprise

PCNA- they look bad because it makes the business look slimy and the GT car game is now an embarrassment, but how can they be responsible for the franchisees agent if they are never informed? solution-each harmed individual gets an allocation at dealer of their choice, PAG increases supply and cracks down for real on these games

lessons don't do business with brokers, create real relationships with good dealers who are good guys and car guys, try to see car as fun not an investment, be willing to wait and not pay to cut in line.

Im not paranoid, but you can't think too dirty in the business world
Old 09-14-2018, 11:23 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,865 Likes on 5,177 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Correct. God forbid they have any moral obligation or respect for their end users though.
Originally Posted by ginmqi
Very true. Similar to that infamous United airlines incident and that doctor that got beaten up. Afterwards United had no legal obligation to do anything but they knew what had to be done and the compensation now is something like 10k for involuntary de-boarding.

Not true. And certainly not very true.

United was certainly subject to legal exposure for the incident with that doctor. Not so here with PCNA vis-a-vis Champion or Shiraaz.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:24 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

All the well known brokers used Shiraaz. Not naming names, but you guys know who they are. Even some other Porsche dealers ....

My time is up here. Gotta run ... nice job guys
Old 09-14-2018, 11:29 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Ever since this news broke out two days ago, I am surprised how silent the so called brokers have been.

Mr. Sookralli if he indeed did this, he ran a very good "Sting" Operation. Poor victims were suckered and fooled that they are getting some nice Porsche.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

LINK:

Originally Posted by STG
All the well known brokers used Shiraaz. Not naming names, but you guys know who they are. Even some other Porsche dealers ....
Old 09-14-2018, 11:35 PM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Shiraaz ears must be ringing non stop
Old 09-14-2018, 11:41 PM
Joenyc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SToronto
Yeah seems odd. Any place I have put a deposit down for future allocation requires you to pay somebody else, not the sales rep. I get a credit card receipt with business name on it and contract.

Were people paying him using Square on his iPhone?
come on guys - nice check to him personally. I guess the Brooklyn bridge is for sake lol. He had a dummy Corp similar name and got his victim . But the dealership is responsible for their employees action. Big lawsuit coming .
Old 09-14-2018, 11:43 PM
vipertom 1970
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many flippers got victimized please raise your hand ??
Old 09-14-2018, 11:46 PM
ginmqi
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Not true. And certainly not very true.

United was certainly subject to legal exposure for the incident with that doctor. Not so here with PCNA vis-a-vis Champion or Shiraaz.
I apologize and I typed faster than I was thinking.

Yes, the incident itself was subject to legal fight and they did settle out of court (very unreliable source from what I hear is the settlement was in the 8-figure range.....but who knows).

But I should've clarified that in terms of the flight voluntary de-boarding process, there was no legal obligation for United to offer money to have people give up their seats. If you read flight contracts attached to each ticket, it says that the airline can offer up to a certain amount of money but they are legally not required to do so (under any local or federal statute.

My parallel was to STG (I think) who was saying that while PCNA has no legal obligation to make the customers whole....but it would be in their PR/moral obligation to do so. Just as United (and other air carriers) have no legal obligation to compensate passengers for voluntary de-boarding but it is in their best business/PR interest to do so.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:47 PM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

The VIP program helped feed a lot of brokers as well, those extra VIP allocations (918 owners who don't necessarily care for own a GT3 or GT3RS) came in handy when the PTS window opens. I've spoken to a few brokers I know recently and most admitted they had a few deals with some exposure to this a week ago. I'm willing to bet a large number of the 2.5 Million is based on 100-200K GT2RS allocation ADMs (or PTS) $$$$ going from "VIPs" to brokers clients who don't necessarily want to come forward yet....

I'd imagine that some of the customers will get cars delivered from PCNA or Champion swapping allocations with other dealers now that there seems to be a glut of inventory and ADMs are dropping. Selling a new GT car still nets them a tidy profit while also making buyers feel not so slighted.

Swine11 ReBoot - 964 / 993 Shift Boot Trim Panel

2004 996 GT3 | 1986 Carrera 3.2 (future Keen Project) | 2016 Cayenne Diesel

Old 09-14-2018, 11:49 PM
kc0433
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowCalliper
I’ve known him for ten years and he’s worked on my gt cars and other 911’s. He has always been responsive and great. I just saw him a few weeks ago. Very sorry to hear about this if true, but let Shiraaz explain himself. Too bad Dave, the former owner passed away and is not around to handle this. He was a true gentlemen.
Is that you Shiraaz?
Old 09-14-2018, 11:53 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,053 Likes on 2,312 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

Ahhh, so that's where Auto Gallery got some of their "extra" GT3/RS allocations. haha
Old 09-14-2018, 11:59 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Any saleman could pull this scam off. Just accept deposits on MSRP cars using a bank account like this guy did, and only take deposits from out-of-state buyers. The dealership would never know it was happening. Especially if the salesman was doing a lot of legit transactions.

Trying to figure out how any dealership controls would have caught something like this.

Quick Reply: GT car / Salesman - Shiraaz Sookralli - Champion Porsche's VP of Marketing