Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 Engine Failures

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 08:48 PM
prl
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by StanfordCardGT3
Cool, pay more and enjoy "perfection" with ferrari, aston martin, AMG GTs, lambos, mclarens. Make sure to enjoy the seat when the car doesn't start.
but my Porsche doesn’t start and the seats kinda a pita to get into.... I have about a dozen Porsche’s currently, as I’m no stranger to the brand. This is the first and only Porsche I have had that didn’t start because the battery was dead. It’s just very disheartening after the .1 issues to have one of my own.

I think more cars will appear with failures, however most cars I see for sale only have 100-500 miles maybe time will tell. I’m sure a recall will happen, if it is the oil pump, sooner or later.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:52 PM
StanfordCardGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by prl

but my Porsche doesn’t start and the seats kinda a pita to get into.... I have about a dozen Porsche’s currently, as I’m no stranger to the brand. This is the first and only Porsche I have had that didn’t start because the battery was dead. It’s just very disheartening after the .1 issues to have one of my own.

I think more cars will appear with failures, however most cars I see for sale only have 100-500 miles maybe time will tell. I’m sure a recall will happen, if it is the oil pump, sooner or later.
Most cars you see for sale are from dealerships. A lot of people are driving them into the 5k+ mile range - try going to the track some time.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:01 PM
prl
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by StanfordCardGT3
Most cars you see for sale are from dealerships. A lot of people are driving them into the 5k+ mile range - try going to the track some time.
right, so I get a car in October and have plenty of track days left and in one month. Wait, I also have to put 2k miles on it prior to the track day avoiding to Porsche. Fortunately I race cars in a few different series and do plenty of track days throughout the year, however for street cars, were wrapped up here by October.

Not trying to argue here, I’m sorry if being Un- satisfied with a very expensive purchase offends you. Im glad your gt3 hasn’t had issues.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:12 PM
PhilZJ
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Neb
I didn't post earlier, but have been following this. My 991.2 engine failed in June while on a DE event. Car had 2200km at the time, it started with an oil pressure fault, then within 500meters engine completely cut out. After dealer inspected and scoped it was an internal catastrophic failure, all they can tell me is there is a hole in the block and will need a new engine. The engine is sent back to germany to be inspected, and dealers are told they will not get the results of that. The good part is, my car was back on the road in 4-5 wks and I had to break in the new engine again. Let's hope this is a rare occurance, it could have been alot worst if it failed or seize up at high speed.
Thanks for the info. Just curious, is your car a PDK or manual? Also, did you happen to notice oil temperatures or anything prior to the oil pressure fault?
Glad you have your car back!
Old 11-14-2018, 11:14 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I know i would be upset if my GT3 engine grenaded after spending $165k on it. But 30,000 miles later and she’s solid as a rock. But it happens, even with expensive cars. Low production. High performance cars driven hard most of the time. Some are going to develop issues. Everyone is just hoping this isn’t a rerun. It would be bad for the GT brand.

Most .1 GT3 owners had no issues either. Maybe 5% but that is going to rightfully be a vocal 5%.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:15 PM
Norcalgt3
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I know i would be upset if my GT3 engine grenaded after spending $165k on it. But 30,000 miles later and she’s solid as a rock. But it happens, even with expensive cars. Low production. High performance cars driven hard most of the time. Some are going to develop issues. Everyone is just hoping this isn’t a rerun. It would be bad for the GT brand.

Most .1 GT3 owners had no issues either. Maybe 5% but that is going to rightfully be a vocal 5%.
It's not a rerun
Old 11-14-2018, 11:17 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 818 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by prl

right, so I get a car in October and have plenty of track days left and in one month. Wait, I also have to put 2k miles on it prior to the track day avoiding to Porsche. Fortunately I race cars in a few different series and do plenty of track days throughout the year, however for street cars, were wrapped up here by October.

Not trying to argue here, I’m sorry if being Un- satisfied with a very expensive purchase offends you. Im glad your gt3 hasn’t had issues.

i would be pissed and dissatisfied too. I get it. No excuse for this type of failure. I am sure PAG will make it right. They have been very good that way.

The problem doesnt seem systemic or widespread by any metric. I could be a bad oil pump. Chit happens. That’s why there are warranties and that’s why we want warranties ..because we know chit happens.

Doesn’t mean your happy about the situation but it’s covered. My bet is your car will be good as new after warranty repair and if you don’t want it sell it or trade it.

Let us us know what the failure was if they tell you or if you can.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:18 PM
kinglenario
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of the dumbest posts ever in this thread lol
Old 11-14-2018, 11:20 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,120 Likes on 5,269 Posts

It's no so much about whether or when an engine fails (because all mechanical things fail at one point or another), but more about how the manufacturer stands behind their products.

And at least for Porsche and the GT3, the record has been more than pretty good.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:21 PM
Norcalgt3
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglenario
Seriously, blah blah blah "this could be a re-run", "I expect perfection". Meanwhile thousands are enjoying their cars problem free.
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by robmypro
If it is an oil pump issue I would expect a recall shortly. Otherwise it could be something much more serious. Time will tell.
I would think that if it was more serious it would be more systemic.
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by prl
I guess 150-210k dollars is meaningless to a few of you. However, I personally expect perfection in a car that’s 175k especially the drivetrain.
HUH!!!

For those of us married or who were married we spend/spent 5 to 10 times that and "Hell to the no" - no perfection Buddy

They all PIA
Old 11-14-2018, 11:23 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kinglenario
Well then enlighten us and post something intelligent.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:29 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
I would think that if it was more serious it would be more systemic.
I tend to agree with you Waxer. All of the failures i have read about so far were catastrophic at very low mileage, and not even under heavy load. My money is on a bad batch of oil pumps. In any case, only time will tell.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:39 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 765 Likes on 380 Posts

I have been told by a dealer mechanic who has worked with this issue that two known failures were due to bad rod bearings.

As many of you are aware, rod bearings are one of the first pieces to show wear in competition motors.

In the case of .2 GT motors it is not yet apparent what the cause of rod bearing failure has been.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 Engine Failures