991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBS CH-R CL wheels for 991 GT3 !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018 | 10:48 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

We have guys running them locally on GT4's for multiple seasons using Pirelli DH slicks and similar tires. They are strong and can take a beating. The weight is the reason for this, they designed it to be a strong, flo-formed cast wheel. I already have a set of forged RE monoblocks for my 19", and the are incredibly light, but the slight weight penalty is worth it to me to be able to have similar motorsport styling in 20" for use with Trofeo-R type tires.

No freakin way I'm droppin 18k on a set of 20" magnesium wheels to pound around on the street and track. The aluminum ones are already hard enough to stomach. BBS shoulda released these years ago.

Old 08-27-2018 | 12:13 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Very nice.
19” avail?
Old 08-27-2018 | 01:20 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Very nice.
19” avail?
Looks like only 20" for now. Anyone have any pics of these on Porsche's in GT3 size (width and offset)?
Old 08-27-2018 | 07:39 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

I'm in the same boat. Looking for a second set of wheels for track work. Deciding between these BBS CH-R - of which I like the look and the price - and the the OZ Ultraleggera HLT. Don't really like the look of the OZ, but word is they are a lot lighter although they are also cast iron ! Decisions, decisions.

I wonder how much of that unsprung mass difference I would really feel on track as a non pro driver !?
Old 08-27-2018 | 11:48 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bccars
Don't really like the look of the OZ, but word is they are a lot lighter although they are also cast iron !
The cast wheels are heavier than forged, but thankfully they are not iron Brake rotors are made of this - wheels are Aluminum alloy...

When comparing OZ and BBS cast alloy wheels, if one is significantly lighter (OZ) then consider that the other (BBS) is probably considerably stronger...

You probably won't feel the difference between the two cast wheels, but the stopwatch could conceivably show a small difference (if that matter to you). However, you will definitely know the difference if one wheel bends or breaks.

If someone is using PCCB or ST rotors, then I think it would be a shame to put weight back on the wheels. And if someone is going to track a large amount (or their track has severe curbing or other hazards to the wheels), then probably best to use stock or other strong forged wheels.

If you are very concerned about the lightest, go Magnesium. If you are very concerned about strong, durable, and light, go forged Aluminum alloy (including stock wheels). If you are concerned about price, go cast (with BBS probably being heavier/stronger and OZ being lighter/not as strong as BBS).

Last edited by GrantG; 08-27-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-27-2018 | 11:52 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Looks like they are 3mm more offset and the same width as stock GT3 wheels
Old 08-28-2018 | 06:17 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

@GrantG: Thanks for straightening that out, don't know how "cast iron" slipped through the cracks there :-)

Last edited by bccars; 08-28-2018 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-28-2018 | 06:25 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Originally Posted by kyrocks
They are an option, but if you track, forged wheels are a better option. I’m not talking about spending $10k or more on forged BBS, but rather something like Forgeline. You’ll probably be fine with cast, but if you’re not it may be costly. My opinion.
+1 - go with Foreline vs these. Had a set of the CHRs as a winter wheel for my wife's Macan Turbo, I wouldn't put them on a sports car. One of the rims was bent by a NYC pothole going 45 mph and they're designed for the Macan, not just assuming they would work.

Only rim we've ever bent, they're also really really heavy. This is the primary reason I would never put them on a sports car.

EDIT: Just to add also ran a OZ cast set on a Macan S for two winters. Many more miles (at least 5x more miles) on the OZ set and no damage at all.
Old 08-28-2018 | 12:32 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Personally, I'd never put these on a GT2/3/RS/R... they're a compromise and these cars really have no other compromises. HRE R101 LW or BBS FI-Rs or stock IMO.
Old 08-28-2018 | 12:34 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

I can't tell you how many sets of "cast" OZ Allegeritas I've seen break, have cracks, or be close to catastrophic failure from track use, on much less powerful cars like even the cayman and others. Bending a wheel on a 5000lb SUV from a pothole is not what worries me. Cracking from too little weight where it counts does. OZ makes great wheels, but they are also very light, and they have been prone to cracking and breaking. I've never seen a set of CH-R's ever show the cracks or failures that I've seen from similar cast OZ rims.
Old 08-28-2018 | 01:17 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Love the look, wish they were lighter and forged. That would give us another option to the FI-R's.
Old 08-28-2018 | 05:36 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

"Pay now or pay later". I have seen that saying ring true so many times before. There's a reason why some wheels are sub $4k and some are above $8k - it's the way that they are manufactured and the quality that comes with it. If you cut corners to keep costs down that shows up on the other side when wheels begin to fail.

While a $4k set may last you a couple track sessions you will be back to square 1 if they fail and then you'll need to put another $4k into again. A fully forged wheel like the Forgeline's mentioned above will give you piece of mind and confidence every single time you are out on the track.

Porsche models as valuable as the 911R, GT3RS, and GT2RS deserve the best when it comes to performance wheels.

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 08-28-2018 | 08:51 PM
wmond
Racer

Would these be ok to use for a set of winter, non track, tires? I’d like to get a spare set and throw on some winter tires for when it gets cold up here.
Old 08-28-2018 | 10:26 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by bccars
Don't really like the look of the OZ, but word is they are a lot lighter although they are also cast iron !
I have the OZ wheels..they are cast but aluminum not iron. I use them as track wheels..zero issues...they are pictured on my car in my avatar

Quick Reply: BBS CH-R CL wheels for 991 GT3 !!