Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the big deal with high mileage on Porsche GT cars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 10:29 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,376 Likes on 2,489 Posts
Default What's the big deal with high mileage on Porsche GT cars?

We hear about ordinary cars lasting 100K miles, sometimes 150K miles or more, yet somehow a Porsche GT car with more than a few thousands miles is considered heavily used. What's the deal with this? Are there no Porsche GT cars around with more than 50K or 100K miles on them? Do these cars actually have problems when they rack up that many miles? My '15 GT3 has over 30K miles on it, and unless I have reason to think it's a bad plan, the plan is put 100K+ miles on it.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:35 AM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,391 Likes on 729 Posts

It's all relative... a GT3 with 50k miles would be one of the most 'used' GT3s on the market. A Camry with 50k miles is pretty normal. Doesn't mean Porsche are less reliable/durable though
Old 08-24-2018, 10:40 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

If I had a 991.1 I would be trying to max out my engine warranty. In fact, I would drive it hard to get a replacement engine.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:44 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 744 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
We hear about ordinary cars lasting 100K miles, sometimes 150K miles or more, yet somehow a Porsche GT car with more than a few thousands miles is considered heavily used. What's the deal with this? Are there no Porsche GT cars around with more than 50K or 100K miles on them? Do these cars actually have problems when they rack up that many miles? My '15 GT3 has over 30K miles on it, and unless I have reason to think it's a bad plan, the plan is put 100K+ miles on it.
Good for you. There are not many of us that actually drive our GT cars. I plan to hit 100k as well. Rob is another one and doing a great job documenting all the fun and enjoyment. The rest are too busy flipping them ��
KM1959
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Is there a "big deal"? After owning a few Ferraris, and there it's ALL about mileage, I don't think so. GT cars tend not to be the choice for daily drivers so, of course, the miles don't pile up. Earlier GT cars were a litle more crude, not in a bad way, than the 991 which is why I think people parrot that they're not good DDs. I find mine very comfortable, have few problems with the low splitter, and find it fun even at low speeds as I never think that I'm just mindlessly driving around town. That big red surfboard in the rear view mirror is a pretty big reminder that this ain't no ordinary car.
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
It's all relative... a GT3 with 50k miles would be one of the most 'used' GT3s on the market. A Camry with 50k miles is pretty normal. Doesn't mean Porsche are less reliable/durable though
That's what I mean. Lots of guys minimize miles on the cars, so 50K is a lot by comparison. A friend of mine got a .1 GT3, put a few hundred miles on it, traded it in for .2 GT3, and now he traded that in with 300 miles to get an RS. Is that really ownership?

Aside from valuation, what are the physical issues with the car itself as miles are racked up? Engine can be rebuilt, transmission can be replaced, dampers can be replaced. Those costs are only a fraction of the cost of a new car.

Some people try to "own" these cars at low cost by not putting miles on them and counting on low depreciation. But seems to me that the most cost-effective way to own these cars, in terms of dollars per mile driven, may be to own them for a long time and put a LOT of miles on them, doing maintenance and repairs as needed along the way.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:47 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 195 Posts

in EU there are just 1-10 GT3 with over 60k (100k km) for sale.
a thousand cars from 0-50k miles...
because 996 and 997 prices were and are high.
otherwise there would be more high milage cars compared to their age. hard to imagine - but some of those 996/997 "drivers" are even worse in driving their cars than us.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:52 AM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,391 Likes on 729 Posts

That's what I mean. Lots of guys minimize miles on the cars, so 50K is a lot by comparison. A friend of mine got a .1 GT3, put a few hundred miles on it, traded it in for .2 GT3, and now he traded that in with 300 miles to get an RS. Is that really ownership?

Aside from valuation, what are the physical issues with the car itself as miles are racked up? Engine can be rebuilt, transmission can be replaced, dampers can be replaced. Those costs are only a fraction of the cost of a new car.

Some people try to "own" these cars at low cost by not putting miles on them and counting on low depreciation. But seems to me that the most cost-effective way to own these cars, in terms of dollars per mile driven, may be to own them for a long time and put a LOT of miles on them, doing maintenance and repairs as needed along the way.
Everyone values the 'ownership' differently. I'm with you, smiles per mile, I've had my .2 gt3 for 5 weeks and try to put about 150-200 miles per weekend (hard to do with a 6mo old at home). I don't daily drive it. BUT, many super/exotic car owner enjoy garage queening their cars, or buying/ordering a new car over and over, or taking them only to car shows, etc... The .2 GT cars are HOT right now and many people will buy/sell slightly used, then the dust will settle (like the 997 GT cars) and they will end up with owners who want to drive them.

For Porsche, I think as long as you abide by the recommended maintenance schedule (or accelerated for heavy track use), you should be fine maintenance-wise
Old 08-24-2018, 10:53 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Originally Posted by jo_ker
in EU there are just 1-10 GT3 with over 60k (100k km) for sale.
a thousand cars from 0-50k miles...
because 996 and 997 prices were and are high.
otherwise there would be more high milage cars compared to their age. hard to imagine - but some of those 996/997 "drivers" are even worse in driving their cars than us.
Yeah just look at all the 997 RS’ that are now so expensive because the low miles you wouldn’t dream of buying and driving. People think the GT car is artwork and should be only parked and take pictures of for their Instagram or YouTube channel. Meanwhile others are out actually driving them and experiencing the enjoyment. They have no clue. They drive them to their local C&C and come here and try to tell us how awesome the cars are.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:00 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KM1959
GT cars tend not to be the choice for daily drivers so, of course, the miles don't pile up.
My commute is short, I rotate between multiple cars, and I feel like I hardly drive the GT3 except when going to the track, yet I have over 30K miles in less than 4 years (admittedly though, lots of track days on the car). In order to keep super low miles on these cars, I suspect that many people are deliberately not driving them. Can't be a good feeling - "The weather's really nice and I'd love to drive it, but gotta keep the miles down, so I guess it's gotta stay in the garage again."

Old 08-24-2018, 11:01 AM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

I think someone on the East Coast (if I am not mistaken) hit 60k on his .1 as a DD - was happy to see/read that

Porsche claims over 70% of the cars they've built are still are still on the road and so my expectation is that should apply to GT and non-GT cars alike, but as others have said GT cars have become a commodity of sorts recently. Some of us are trying to fight the good fight, I am at 3.5k miles and just looking to add more miles/memories. If the 2RS drops to realistic prices I hope to do the same with that car as well
Old 08-24-2018, 11:04 AM
goin2drt
Banned

My commute is short, I rotate between multiple cars, and I feel like I hardly drive the GT3 except when going to the track, yet I have over 30K miles in less than 4 years (admittedly though, lots of track days on the car). In order to keep super low miles on these cars, I suspect that many people are deliberately not driving them. Can't be a good feeling - "The weather's really nice and I'd love to drive it, but gotta keep the miles down, so I guess it's gotta stay in the garage again."
Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I think someone on the East Coast (if I am not mistaken) hit 60k on his .1 as a DD - was happy to see/read that

Porsche claims over 70% of the cars they've built are still are still on the road and so my expectation is that should apply to GT and non-GT cars alike, but as others have said GT cars have become a commodity of sorts recently. Some of us are trying to fight the good fight, I am at 3.5k miles and just looking to add more miles/memories. If the 2RS drops to realistic prices I hope to do the same with that car as well
Great to hear, keep on driving. These cars really are amazing to experience, not just to look at.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:12 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,269 Likes on 945 Posts

This whole low mileage thing just doesn't apply to modern exotics. It stems from older Ferraris - 360 and older I believe. After about 10k miles, you had to do an expensive engine out service to replace worn belts. Therefore people kept their miles low so as not to do the service at a high cost.

The new Ferraris, Porsches, McLarens etc are for the most part bulletproof. Porsche especially. There is no reason not to put miles on the car. Drive them as much as you want.

Nothing worse than a garage queen.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:15 AM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMOP, the way we (Americans) look at mileage is kinda crazy. If you're not buying a car like this to drive, then why are you buying it? How can you get to really know and experience a car in just a few thousand miles, let alone a few hundred? I agree, with Ferraris, mileage is a huge factor. I was talking to a nice guy a while back who has an '06 Ford GT and he has 130,000+ miles on it.
With the way folks are preserving cars these days (basically saving it for the next guy), there won't be any such thing as patina in the future.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:22 AM
cox1974
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt

Good for you. There are not many of us that actually drive our GT cars. I plan to hit 100k as well. Rob is another one and doing a great job documenting all the fun and enjoyment. The rest are too busy flipping them ��
Correct

Quick Reply: What's the big deal with high mileage on Porsche GT cars?