Porsche Experience Center U.K. - Paying to Make it a full day

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 11:49 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Porsche Experience Center U.K. - Paying to Make it a full day

Hi All,

I have half half a day at the experience Center in the U.K. for each vehicle I purchased (GT2 RS, 3RS and GT3 Manual). I was considering paying for an extra half day for each car. I have zero track experience but have driven sports cars quite hard for many years.

i am driving one car a week for 3 weeks.

May I please ask:

- Is a full day too much driving (too fatiguing) to get the learning benefits?

- What order would you learn to drive each car? as some one that has no experi nice should I start with the GT3 RS as the gt3 Manual might be too Much to think about.

- Any other advice?

Thank you
Old 08-02-2018, 12:06 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on your new cars!

Personally I wouldn't recommend spending too much time at the PEC. I haven't been to the UK one but if its like the Atlanta one then it's so limited that a full day would end up boring you. A half day was plenty for me. There's other options in the UK (eg Palmersport or The Racing School) that will get you a lot more value for your precious time, while still being more on the 'experience' side of the spectrum.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:51 PM
Pointbye
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Go ahead and do a full day. You’re going to learn A LOT because if you haven’t driven on a track, you don’t know much about driving.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:58 PM
993RR
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 148 Posts

Law of diminishing returns at these small circuits, unless you can drive at the main Silverstone circuit

How about 2 half days - one pm, and then the following am? and then decide about the remaining half day as to whether to make that a full day,
Old 08-02-2018, 01:01 PM
Lava GT3
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd start with the GT3 RS to get familiar with the track as it's quite short and you won't have to think too much about gear changes. Half day is plenty I would say...they split the morning into two which is a good amount of time. I'd probably then do the GT3 half day.

I was at the PEC myself doing my GT3 experience about a month ago. Instructor said the 2 RS is overpowered for the track's they have....his comment was the instructors wanted a higher hourly rate to take clients out in it!

What I would do with the GT2 RS day is trade it in for what they call a Precision Day https://www.porsche.com/silverstone/...sds/precision/

You will get about £500 credit for your GT2 RS half day and have to pay the rest although this will be using your own car.

The precision day starts on the PEC and they then take you out on to the main circuit....if the instructor knows/trusts you he'll have you on the main circuit for most of the day.

I'm going to do something similar myself. I've got to know one of the instructors quite well there I'm taking my own GT3 to the PEC next week for a day organised by PCGB. After that I am going to do similar to the above and trade in another PEC experience I have for a Macan Turbo I bought and use it to get a Prescisiion Day in my own GT3.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:12 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by _fletch
Congrats on your new cars!

Personally I wouldn't recommend spending too much time at the PEC. I haven't been to the UK one but if its like the Atlanta one then it's so limited that a full day would end up boring you. A half day was plenty for me. There's other options in the UK (eg Palmersport or The Racing School) that will get you a lot more value for your precious time, while still being more on the 'experience' side of the spectrum.
Thank you fir the congrats and good advice

Originally Posted by Lava GT3
I'd start with the GT3 RS to get familiar with the track as it's quite short and you won't have to think too much about gear changes. Half day is plenty I would say...they split the morning into two which is a good amount of time. I'd probably then do the GT3 half day.

I was at the PEC myself doing my GT3 experience about a month ago. Instructor said the 2 RS is overpowered for the track's they have....his comment was the instructors wanted a higher hourly rate to take clients out in it!

What I would do with the GT2 RS day is trade it in for what they call a Precision Day https://www.porsche.com/silverstone/...sds/precision/

You will get about £500 credit for your GT2 RS half day and have to pay the rest although this will be using your own car.

The precision day starts on the PEC and they then take you out on to the main circuit....if the instructor knows/trusts you he'll have you on the main circuit for most of the day.

I'm going to do something similar myself. I've got to know one of the instructors quite well there I'm taking my own GT3 to the PEC next week for a day organised by PCGB. After that I am going to do similar to the above and trade in another PEC experience I have for a Macan Turbo I bought and use it to get a Prescisiion Day in my own GT3.
That is an amazing idea!

i am thinking about doing the experience with the gt3 (not manual) and going for two precision days. One in the 3RS and one in the 2RS. Thoughts?

any idea on the charges for them to supply the car?
Old 08-02-2018, 03:25 PM
_fletch
Racer

The precision day idea from Lava GT3 is great advice and will definitely give you much more than doing multiple PEC delivery experiences!
Old 08-02-2018, 03:28 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by _fletch
The precision day idea from Lava GT3 is great advice and will definitely give you much more than doing multiple PEC delivery experiences!
How much of a beating would one day put on my own car? Would it ruin the tires and how much would it wear the ceramic brakes?
Old 08-02-2018, 03:30 PM
Lava GT3
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it’s pretty expensive to hire their cars for the day. Something like £2k from memory.

Some of the instructors also do private lessons, the guy I am using has recommended doing a half day at Brubtingthorpe before doing the Preciaion Day to get used to the speed. As I am sure you know Bruntingthorpe has massive run off areas it’s a safe place to learn.

Hes also recommend a day at Milbrook Proving Ground which he said is fantastic “700 acre playground”. You can only get on there with a professional instructor. It’s £800 for the day.

Im going to do that too when I get a chance.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:32 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

I think it’s pretty expensive to hire their cars for the day. Something like £2k from memory.

Some of the instructors also do private lessons, the guy I am using has recommended doing a half day at Brubtingthorpe before doing the Preciaion Day to get used to the speed. As I am sure you know Bruntingthorpe has massive run off areas it’s a safe place to learn.

Hes also recommend a day at Milbrook Proving Ground which he said is fantastic “700 acre playground”. You can only get on there with a professional instructor. It’s £800 for the day.

Would you be kind enough to pm me with the details of the instructor? I think private lessons is a great idea.

I would like to do Bruntingthorpe and Milbrook.

Thanks for the great advice
Old 08-02-2018, 03:57 PM
_fletch
Racer

Originally Posted by BrntRubber
How much of a beating would one day put on my own car? Would it ruin the tires and how much would it wear the ceramic brakes?
On a scale from negligible to nothing it will be closer to the nothing end of the spectrum Don't even worry about this for now until you have more track days under your belt and are really beating the living crap out of them for extended periods at a time.

Personally I would do the precision days before the private tuition. You'll get more out of the private tuition if you already have some of the basics under your belt. But that's just my opinion. Whatever you do you'll have a blast in such awesome cars!
Old 08-02-2018, 04:04 PM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

I did a half day there. It’s a tiny little circuit meant to be similar to a twisty B road. It’s nice because you get an instructor and are free to choose what to concentrate on. It’s not really suitable for learning how to push a GT though. I’d spend your money elsewhere on a bigger track.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:20 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Great Advice! Thank you!

I spoke to PEC. As you said they offer racing school tuition where I can credit my PEC offering. They offer:
- One full day (I think called performance day) which comprises of 1hr on Silverstone broken into 20min segments. If I supply the car it is an extra £250 (approx from memory)
- two full days (I think called precision package) comprising of 2hrs on Silverstone again in 20min segments.

They are pretty booked up so, right now I have kept one half day at PEC in October and the 2day booked for 9 November (I can reduce to 1day if I want).

I am likely going to use my own car but need to sort out insurance I am guessing. Any recommendations?

Is it worth trying to get my racing license? I am miles away from getting to drop £300k a year but thought it would be a cool thing to get.

Originally Posted by DaveGordon
I did a half day there. It’s a tiny little circuit meant to be similar to a twisty B road. It’s nice because you get an instructor and are free to choose what to concentrate on. It’s not really suitable for learning how to push a GT though. I’d spend your money elsewhere on a bigger track.
I think you are right. Booked one half day and putting he rest towards tuition on Silverstone.

Quick Reply: Porsche Experience Center U.K. - Paying to Make it a full day