Sponsored by:

Seat centers for GT3 touring

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 04:38 PM
tahoeblue
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Seat centers for GT3 touring

I am finalizing specs for the above. Even though the advice of most on the forum would be to take LWB's (and those seats certainly do look better in the GT cars), I will go with the 18-way "sofas," which makes a big difference in our discussion--ie can't easily change out the centers later if desired. Had the pleasure of driving cars at PECLA with both LWB's and 18 ways, and no comparison for me--the comfort and adjustability of the sofas is much better and important for me (such as access to the rear compartment for weekend bags), and after all this really will be a "touring" car, which won't be tracked. Don't mean to lead again into that debate, but there's some background regarding where I am headed with my build. And the relative weight of the seats doesn't matter at all to me.

I have to say at first glance (and many repeated glances at pics...), the black "corduroy" fabric standard on the touring looks underwhelming, maybe boring for a special car like the GT3. On the positive side, it is a finish exclusive to the touring, and does conjure up memory of finishes in old RS (and maybe other) cars. For owners who have spent days or weeks or months now with the black corduroy in their GT3t, please provide some feedback (and pics) How does it look and feel with repeated use, whether on LWB's or sofas? Do you feel the interior is lacking with monochrome black leather and corduroy? Have you chosen other interior options to liven up the interior?

I am also not a fan of the standard silver seat backs on the sofas... so I'm adding leather backrest shells (in addition to deviated stitch color).

It's no so easy to get anything but the black leather/black corduroy and silver seat backs. The options to customize the 18 ways (or LWB's) are costly, to say the least. It's been discussed before, but for interest and summary, here is my understanding, to change the standard seat finishes on the configurator, and/or via Porsche Exclusive:
1. $8875 for custom seats, which includes possibility to specify leather, inserts, stitch, or monograms for front of LWB's or sofas--does not include customization of seat backs...
2. With the above, the LWB's retain the beautiful carbon fiber backs, and the sofas will keep the silver backs.
3. Looks there are 2 ways to add leather backrest shells to the sofas with deviated stitch--if standard black leather, this may be done via the regular configurator for an additional $2020 on top of the above ($1870 without deviated stitch). Or via CXX a different color leather/stitch may be chosen for $3590.
4. (All the above costs are in addition to the $2640 baseline for starting with the 18 ways on the configurator.)
5. Total up-charge then for sofas with leather front and back with deviated stitch (excluding the baseline $2640 for sofas and $3500 for extended deviated stitch package):
$2020 for black leather, to add the seat backs (retaining front black leather sides/headrest and cloth inserts), right from the configurator, or
$8875 + $3590 = $12,465 for deviated leather/stitch and/or inserts via CXX (an additional $10,445).

All this analysis started with "simple" desire for houndstooth inserts. Now there is no way to specify these inserts for less than $8875, for either seat type. Some months ago, the inserts alone could be chosen via CXX for much less for the LWB's (not the sofas), but apparently no longer. One advantage of the LWB's is that high quality aftermarket inserts may be purchased for a cost in the hundreds or dollars (as I understand), and easily swapped out, if you don't require factory specs. The inserts on the sofas cannot be easily swapped.

My initial feeling was that some significant up-charge was justified for the houndstooth, and in general I still lean that direction. Maybe it's the extra $8875 (or beyond), but I have to say the black cloth is growing on me. Is there too much houndstooth lately with the 50th Anniversary cars, the R, and various seat customizations (factory or aftermarket)? Maybe in the future one will be pleased to have the "rare" touring corduroy... (and extra money in pocket).

Thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:51 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

The leather seat backs are really nice. Whatever you do, keep those. I could see $13k or whatever for a true custom leather seat, but just Pepita, well black cord sounds good to me.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:46 PM
Betelgeuse
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
The leather seat backs are really nice. Whatever you do, keep those. I could see $13k or whatever for a true custom leather seat, but just Pepita, well black cord sounds good to me.
... I agree with the Evil one... 😈. I have 4-ways with leather seatbacks. The black seat inserts look and feel terrific, not to mention comfortable and very supportive. I prefer them over the 18-ways. Consider spending the money you save on full leather interior... it looks great, especially with black stitching and black gauges; very understated and elegant. I also ordered alcantara visors (labels removed easily with 91% isopropyl etoh), and alcantara seat belt outlets. They integrate the interior nicely. Don’t forget heated seats!
Old 07-28-2018, 08:09 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wasn't so sure on the corduroy either so decided to live with it for a few months to see if it grew on me. A few months have gone by and a few days ago I ordered some houndstooth inserts from Garry at ClassicFX

I haven't seen the leather backs for the sofas but I really think its a good idea. My main issue with the sofas has always been the ugly backs and I think it would look a lot better in leather.

Best of luck and hope you find a way that isn't ludicrously expensive!

Quick Reply: Seat centers for GT3 touring