Sponsored by:

911R Short Shifter and Cables

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 02:25 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Would you say the shift effort is increased by the same percentage as the throw has been decreased (around 35%)?
Old 08-01-2018, 03:38 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 222 Likes on 136 Posts

The shift effort hasn't been increased because I didn't just shorten the lever. Shortening the lever would then have less leverage when changing gears. The mechanics under the shift lever have been changed and the selector arm has been lengthened which shortens the throw and also has more leverage when shifting. Making your shifts slightly easier to engage.

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223
Old 08-01-2018, 03:55 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Numeric Racing
The shift effort hasn't been increased because I didn't just shorten the lever. Shortening the lever would then have less leverage when changing gears. The mechanics under the shift lever have been changed and the selector arm has been lengthened which shortens the throw and also has more leverage when shifting. Making your shifts slightly easier to engage.
I guess I'm having trouble seeing how you can have a shorter throw that requires less effort than the stock throw. That would seem to violate laws of physics, unless you've removed a large amount of friction from the stock shifter (doesn't feel like there's much to lose). But outside of your better bearings, I don't see how your geometry can output more energy than is input.

Guess I need to try someone's and experience for myself.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:32 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I don't wan to reveal my drawings as I spent a lot of man hours designing this shifter. There is now more leverage on the forward / backward movement than the stock shifter.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:39 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Anyone who would like to contact my customer who has shifter and cables installed in his Boxster 981. Please feel free to do so. He is a really nice guy and would be happy to answer any of your questions. Here is is quote.
jroller1@rochester.rr.com

Dan,

Thank god that you posted the install pictures and instructions just in time and for talking to the service manager over the phone.

The shifter is amazingly precise! No slop or vagueness what so ever. The tech that did the install says he is going to get one of your shifters for his car. I just spent the last two days driving and shifting my Boxster through my favorite twisties! Very cool!

Thanks,

Jim Roller
Old 08-01-2018, 05:09 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by Numeric Racing
Anyone who would like to contact my customer who has shifter and cables installed in his Boxster 981. Please feel free to do so. He is a really nice guy and would be happy to answer any of your questions. Here is is quote.
jroller1@rochester.rr.com

Dan,

Thank god that you posted the install pictures and instructions just in time and for talking to the service manager over the phone.

The shifter is amazingly precise! No slop or vagueness what so ever. The tech that did the install says he is going to get one of your shifters for his car. I just spent the last two days driving and shifting my Boxster through my favorite twisties! Very cool!

Thanks,

Jim Roller
How critical is the cable length setting where you snap the OEM cables back on to the new shifter? Your video says just point the shifter vertically and snap them in. Why was there adjustment needed in the stock system?
Old 08-01-2018, 05:39 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If your using the stock shifter it doesn't have the spring to center the shift lever left to right. Its easy to set it regardless. Just center the lever left to right and snap the cable into the rod end. If your using the Numeric shifter the spring centers itself already and just snap the cable in. Either way it is really simple to do.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:42 AM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Very interested in this for the 991.2 GT3 application. Will the stock shifter and boot fit without having to alter them? On other cars, sometimes the shorter rod means you have to modify the boot and/or shifter assembly.
Ever get an answer to this question?

Had a 991.1 GTS and switched to GT4 shifter. Made a world of difference. Now I'm feeling the GT3 shifter could use some refinement. Too high and notchy for my taste. Anyone with .2 GT3 made the change to Dan's product including cables?
Old 09-04-2018, 12:35 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

No. You will not have to alter anything.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:38 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 71 Posts

I keep getting close to buying the GT4 shifter for my GTS, then I remember the Numeric shifter. And then I see the price, and try to imagine if it is 3x as good as the GT4 shifter--how could that possibly be?

And then I do nothing for another month or so. I'll probably end up getting the GT4 shifter because of the price, but I'd also love to hear more feedback from anyone who has tried Numeric's stuff.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:11 AM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 199 Posts

I had the numeric shifter and cables for my 996 turbo and 997 turbo. Hands down the best shifter I’ve ever had based on my preference (no slob, precise, mechanical feel). I’m planning on getting shifter and cables for my 991.2 GT3. Although I’m only keeping my 991.2 C2 GTS Coupe manual for ~6 months, I’m still tempted to do the shifter and cables. They are simply amazing IMO.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:15 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Do the Numeric cables transmit more noise than stock cables into the cabin. I had Cup cables in my 997.2 GT3 and the increase in noise was awful.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:05 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here are some videos showing the difference between Stock and Numeric. There is no comparison and on the GT4 shifter all they did was shorten the lever 20mm. Nothing under was changed to change the throw.

Stock

Numeric Racing
Old 10-11-2018, 04:08 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

All the installs I have ever done I never experienced any more cabin noise. The original Cup Cables used metal rod ends that are mounted to metal *****. They rattle and make noise. I use aluminum rod ends that have a plastic insert between the connection to keep them from rattling. I also sell some silicone tube you can insulate the cables if you are concerned with noise.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:41 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Any 991.2 GT3 owners try this thing out yet? On my previous car (not a Porsche), the first mod I did was swap the stock shifter for a B&M short-throw and it was the single best thing I ever did. While I'm content with the stock shifter in my GT3, I do know what an all-metal short-throw setup feels like, so I'm curious about this one. But I don't want to be the guinea pig.

Quick Reply: 911R Short Shifter and Cables