Sponsored by:

Quick visit to Nurburgring?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 11:45 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,740 Likes on 2,702 Posts

One other thing to keep in mind. While the Dorint and Lindner Congress are both corporate and lacking the charm of some of the small family run hotels, they both have excellent locked and covered parking. Recently a friend (and occasional RL poster) had a 991 GT3 RS stolen from right in front of one of the small hotels on his first night in town (never was able to drive it on track). Apparently, this is not so uncommon (lifted right off the street, placed on a flatbed, and driven out of town)...
Old 03-08-2022, 12:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,457 Likes on 2,260 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
One other thing to keep in mind. While the Dorint and Lindner Congress are both corporate and lacking the charm of some of the small family run hotels, they both have excellent locked and covered parking. Recently a friend (and occasional RL poster) had a 991 GT3 RS stolen from right in front of one of the small hotels on his first night in town (never was able to drive it on track). Apparently, this is not so uncommon (lifted right off the street, placed on a flatbed, and driven out of town)...
HOLY $H*T! - definitely a concern - and I agree the parking at both is "more" secure...

Last edited by Larry Cable; 03-08-2022 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:30 PM
CSLSuperfan
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by scottchuk
Go without any ego and keep your eyes wide open - spatial awareness is King. Remember youtube channels generally show videos that get likes/subscriptions. I've only ever seen 1 accident on TF in 14 visits.

I try to go most years, and last visited in October. I have only ever stayed at Hotel am Tiergarten (owned and run by the Schmitz family) - they also have imo the best restaurant/bar with the original steak on a hot stone. Youtube personalities stay elsewhere (Dorint I think) if that's of interest.

I've been in Apex taxi's twice now, and never failed to be impressed and terrified by the pilots skill.

Never rented a car there, only ever driven my own.
Agree 100% - Park your ego in a clean space in your tool kit. TF is to be avoided. Some nurburg vets are pushing 10,000+ laps and will pass you on 3 wheels in their Corsa VRX! I would only consider a closed circuit event. Destination Nurburgring has been run by Darren Langeveld for over 10 years. He has established a very well run event with attending like minded drivers/owners who respect all drivers in the paddock.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 01:40 PM
LAPorsche3
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Amazing advice from everyone. Totally appreciate. Glad I revived this thread.

I am watching a lot of instructional videos on YT and also a buddy of mine has loaned me his drive sim. No ego. Open minded. Let faster cars pass. Be alert with surroundings.

I did think about the weekday vs weekend drive. As of now, I have booked two dates (1 weekday and 1 weekend). Maybe swap the latter to a weekday if feasible.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:49 PM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

136bhp sub9.
So what ever your expectations and experience is from normal track days, keep calm and enjoy.

The following 2 users liked this post by ealoken:
GrantG (03-08-2022), Larry Cable (07-16-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 02:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CSLSuperfan
Agree 100% - Park your ego in a clean space in your tool kit. TF is to be avoided. Some nurburg vets are pushing 10,000+ laps and will pass you on 3 wheels in their Corsa VRX! I would only consider a closed circuit event. Destination Nurburgring has been run by Darren Langeveld for over 10 years. He has established a very well run event with attending like minded drivers/owners who respect all drivers in the paddock.
this

there is also Suderia Hanseat, S7, Manthey customer days, Porsche Sport Dirving School, RMA, RSR Nurburg and others - openpitlane.de is a good resource for track days

I'm *not* a fan of using racing sims such as those found on games platforms - as I think they do not accurately reflect the dynamics of lapping a car in reality - and there is no 'reset' after hitting the armco ... I know RSRNurburg always ask if renters have exclusively used such during their pre-briefing and require a ride-along (or they did)
The following users liked this post:
GrantG (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 02:04 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/manth...992428544-Gtj2
Old 03-11-2022, 10:45 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

Picking up our Macan April 28, we will try to do some laps if the Totalitarians open up the country again in may, instead in of the **** 2.0 approach of the moment.
Old 03-11-2022, 12:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Picking up our Macan April 28, we will try to do some laps if the Totalitarians open up the country again in may, instead in of the **** 2.0 approach of the moment.
that's pretty inappropriate particularly now - and PSDS 'Ring is 4/26-27 so there are no issues there
Old 07-12-2022, 12:46 PM
LAPorsche3
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey all, a very belated update. I posted earlier this year asking about driving on Nordschleife and finally got to do a few laps with Ring Taxi.

I have zero experience driving on this track except for simulation and has >200 proper track days under my belt.

Scheduled for 991.1 GT3 and AMG GT R. Had the cars lined up for two consecutive Touristenfahrten days. Reason for picking the cars because I have both have them here in the US and wanted to experience the same cars in as much as stock form on the 'leife. But the AMG had a mechanical problem and was swapped to a 991.1 GTR RS (not enjoying as much, read on).

For each car, I had a 1-on-1 instructor assigned on all laps though different instructor. Ring Taxi is professional and on point. Arrive early to review documents and also for a brief safety lesson. No helmets used though can request one. Brought my own gloves. Both cars are maintained by Manthey apparently. The GT3 has Vendrestein Ultrac Vorti and the GT3 RS has Michs Cup 2. Suspension height and alignment were tweaked else all stock.

Not surprisingly even this time, weather in this region experiences multiple seasonal changes.

My first drive was on a perfect summer weather in the GT3. The instructor had some near 40 years experiences and competed at N24 six times. So his instruction was on point and it shows. I feel that he could close his eyes and still tell me when to brake, turn, accelerate. As the laps went on, he pushed me to drive harder and needless to say, it was an absolute blast. Now I know why the GT3 was designed and built for what it does best.

The second drive in the GT3 RS was during a drizzling weather with wipers used occasionally during the course. The weather would clear up at times. This second instructor although knowledgable didn't click with me. Lack of chemistry. His pointers were vague and sometimes quite late. Perhaps the weather was key but unfortunately, I didn't enjoy the GT3 RS as much. Not implying it's a worse car than the non-RS.

One thing though. Lots of gear heads show up even on Touristenfahrten days and they spectate all over the track. With a car like GT3, you will get a lot of paparazzi like attention even in the staging area. IMO, the Brünnchen "YouTube" corner is famous for a reason. Don't mess it up here! I did witness cars crashing out on the course. Scary stuff. But like I said, leave your ego at home. Come here to learn. Totally glad I did this.

Thanks again to those who provided advise here.
The following 3 users liked this post by LAPorsche3:
GrantG (07-12-2022), Larry Cable (07-12-2022), scottchuk (07-12-2022)

Quick Reply: Quick visit to Nurburgring?