Sponsored by:

991.2 manual GT3 - question about change in engine sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 06:48 AM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
If there is a performance difference between open and closed exhaust flaps, it has to be to the advantage of open flaps. A lower static back pressure can never be a bad thing for volumetric efficiency and scavenging, rather the opposite. And add to that, I think the flaps are probably anyway too far downstream to have an meaningful effect on the dynamics of the gas exchange.
With closed valves, there should be more back pressure, which should result in better torque in mid rpms.
Open valves should be better in high rpms, hence it opens also automatically.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:49 AM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

I collected my GT3 touring on Friday.
I havent yet driven the car extensively but after first 20 kms, i think the GT4 is louder from inside under 4000rpm with open or closed valves.

And i liked the GT4 clutch; GT3 seems to be too light. Need some more time to adjust.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:07 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by FelisMalicious
I collected my GT3 touring on Friday.
I havent yet driven the car extensively but after first 20 kms, i think the GT4 is louder from inside under 4000rpm with open or closed valves.

And i liked the GT4 clutch; GT3 seems to be too light. Need some more time to adjust.
Agrees on the clutch. The GT3 clutch also engages over too short of a travel range, while the GT4 has more progressive engagement that smooths things out.

To me, the GT3 clutch is like an on/off switch that is super light.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:38 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Exhaust mute valve bypass

Originally Posted by eilig
Checked their web site, doesn't look like they have one for the 991.2 GT3. Does anybody else make one?
Capristo of Germany make the exhaust remote control that many in Ferrari world enjoy. Some use a factory looking switch in one of tthe dash blanks to acheive a stock look
https://capristoexhaust.com/product/...-oem-capristo/
Old 07-15-2018, 01:33 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I felt the same way when I switched from the GT4 to the GT3. It’s took me a little bit of time to get used to the GT3 clutch pedal effort and point of engagement. I’m still getting used to it but it’s getting better and better. At this point with about 800 miles on the GT3 I like the GT3 clutch better. Also for me it felt like the GT3 engine is much stiffer with delivery miles compared to the GT4. You’ll notice the GT3 changing quite a bit as it goes through break in period. No comparison between the two engines for me anyway at this early stage. GT3 feels completely different in a good way.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:31 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Agrees on the clutch. The GT3 clutch also engages over too short of a travel range, while the GT4 has more progressive engagement that smooths things out.
To me, the GT3 clutch is like an on/off switch that is super light.
It's all relative. I've never driven a GT4. But compared to my last manual car, the GT3's clutch is 2,000% better. I don't want a progressive clutch. I want an on/off switch to be honest. You shouldn't need to feather the clutch or ride it to make the car shift smoothly. Throw it into gear and let the clutch pop out. The car will shift like butter. No need to feel the engagement point or any of that nonsense. The car never lurches either. My passengers have all commented about how they can't even feel gear changes it's so smooth.

Originally Posted by bigskyGT3
I felt the same way when I switched from the GT4 to the GT3. It’s took me a little bit of time to get used to the GT3 clutch pedal effort and point of engagement. I’m still getting used to it but it’s getting better and better. At this point with about 800 miles on the GT3 I like the GT3 clutch better. Also for me it felt like the GT3 engine is much stiffer with delivery miles compared to the GT4. You’ll notice the GT3 changing quite a bit as it goes through break in period. No comparison between the two engines for me anyway at this early stage. GT3 feels completely different in a good way.
Yeah the engine definitely loosens up within the first 1,000 miles. I've got about 1800-1900 miles on mine now. When new, it felt much tighter/stiffer. But you could feel the power wanting to be unleashed. Now it revs up much quicker, but sometimes I do miss the stiff feel in lower RPMs. Not sure why. It was just kinda satisfying.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:04 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

With closed valves, there should be more back pressure, which should result in better torque in mid rpms.
Open valves should be better in high rpms, hence it opens also automatically.
So higher back pressure (i.e. more pumping work, i.e. losses) on lower rpm should give higher torque? I disagree, and I have a hard time understanding the theory behind that.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:48 AM
Peter_GT4
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 17 Posts

Me too, based on theory and practical experience. The contrary is the case
Peter
Old 07-16-2018, 06:29 AM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_GT4
Me too, based on theory and practical experience. The contrary is the case
Peter
Reading this, I thought "I wonder if Engineering Explained has a video on this" and sure enough he comes through:
Old 07-16-2018, 08:02 AM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
So higher back pressure (i.e. more pumping work, i.e. losses) on lower rpm should give higher torque? I disagree, and I have a hard time understanding the theory behind that.
I am not an engineer, hence needed to search if what i have read in multiple articles was a hoax or not. And then try to understand it.
I found the following video (see below); I haven't yet seen the other one linked above. If I understand correctly, it is actually not back pressure but the velocity of the exhaust gases getting out as they pulsate their way forward in the exhaust system. It seems that the length of the exhaust system is quite important and by playing with the length, you can optimize the output for certain rpms. It is clear that backpressure is the wrong terminology for this.

It would be interesting to see a cut model of the GT3 exhaust and see if the valve is really making a bypass at higher rpms.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:24 PM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes. Static back pressure and tuning of pressure waves (with pipe lengths, diameters, collectors' positions etc) are two very different things. I did my Master Thesis in 1995 on the subject (or more accurately: "A study of instationary, compressible flow in turbocharged internal combustion engines”)... Forget about the "turbocharged" bit - the theories and physics are the same for N/A engines.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:37 AM
kenny29
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could not help noticing the reference to change in exhaust note. I have a 991.1 C4S with PSE, and I recently noticed a change in the exhaust note when the sports exhaust is switched on. Seems to have more a of a rumble to it, more or less overnight. Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts? Car only has 14k miles. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 991.2 manual GT3 - question about change in engine sound