Sponsored by:

A Couple of Questions about the GT3 Touring

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 09:11 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by n2cars
Geez Rob, I thought clocks and CCBs were just for the Cars and Coffee guys? :-) Just kidding. I get your dry sense of humor :-)
Hey I resemble that remark!

But seriously, no right or wrong decision on clock. I like it, but if it wasn’t there i doubt i would notice.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:40 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

If you are even second guessing the touring vs wing thing - go with the wing before it is too late. I can’t see paying over $150k and having it look like a regular cheapo carrera.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:13 AM
Johisco
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow... Come on, it's the same car. Surely you must be able to the decide if you like the look of the wing or not? For me it's a no brainer since I don't like wings but love classic 911 shape.

Here you go guys
Old 07-06-2018, 03:51 AM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
If you are even second guessing the touring vs wing thing - go with the wing before it is too late. I can’t see paying over $150k and having it look like a regular cheapo carrera.
Why would you say that? If it’s because OP has never seen a touring and wants to play it safe, then sure. I was 60/40 touring/wing when I locked in my order for my touring mainly because it was before I ever saw one. But the first time I laid eyes on one, I absolutely loved it. I still love the winged gt3 as well but if you asked me to choose today, I would be 90/10 for the touring. Gamble paid off in my case I guess.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:29 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I'd say read Chris3963 posts, maybe even shoot him a pm. He has a GT3, Touring and RS. He has been pretty spot on with everything he contributed to this forum in the past !
Old 07-06-2018, 08:10 AM
NevB
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris88
I've had my Touring now for 3-1/2 months with just over 2,500 miles, and I think the car is simply spectacular. This is my first Porsche, but have been lucky enough to drive many in my life time. I would have gladly taken the car with a wing, but when the Touring was offered, I decided the "mature" look of the car was for me (I'm 62). I'm heading out this Sunday on a 10 day, 3,000+ mile road trip and am so looking forward to it. I fully expect to enjoy every mile. I plan to post photos and reports of how the car is on the trip. The first day is over 500 miles from the bay area to Bend, Oregon. I have the full bucket seats, so will be interesting how they are after 8+ hours.

I have the Chrono Package, and as mentioned above, like the look of the clock. I also have the PDLS lights, and honestly prefer their look, plus the brighter lighting they provide. I would order both options again.

I cannot imagine how anyone would be disappointed with this car after purchasing...it's simply that good.
Nice!
Old 07-06-2018, 11:16 AM
BOS991.2
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I absolutely love my Touring.... 2,500 miles on it so far and still as excited to drive it as I was on day 1.

I wouldn’t trade my Touring for a winged GT3, however I love the look of the winged cars as well and it just makes me want to have one of each
Old 07-06-2018, 02:50 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by n2cars
That's funny. No, I'm sure the car will be great. The car I'm ordering is a stripper. The dealer is suggesting I add those two items. But I'm not going to after reading the comments here.

This is my 3rd GT car but the last ones were in 2007 (GT3 & GT3RS). Of course I was 11 years younger then and cabin noise and all the idiosyncrasies that came with GT cars didn't bother me. Now that I'm older little things get into my head and I start worrying about things I shouldn't. When a buyers gets a chance to spec the perfect car one doesn't want to miss an essential option.
Well, that was easy. You sure you don't want to ask about FAL, seat stripes, BOSE, deviating stitches, seat belt color, ...........
Old 07-06-2018, 04:44 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 310 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
If you like to drive at night then yes. One of the top must have options IMHO, and I consider nearly everything a pass. If you don't drive at night then no- additional weight and things to go wrong.

After owning over a dozen Porsches and having driven many more I can stay that there are just two modern Porsche's I'd trade my Touring for (to own and drive, not to sell). 1. Carrera GT. 2. 997 GT3 RS 4.0 (the latter only by a little). Cars that don't make the cut: 918, 993 GT2, 991 RS, 997 GT3 RS 3.8, 964 3.6 Turbo, 911 R, etc... I haven't driven a 991 GT2 RS so I'll withhold judgement there, but personally I think it's one of the greatest Porsche's ever made. I suspect many of us are anything but lukewarm on the car, we're just a little less vocal about it (like the Touring itself?). Blend smoothly into traffic one day, top time of day the next, awesome dawn run up the coast the day after that. As close to perfect as I've found.

As for the wing, for my use it has no measurable time advantage on an autocross (the only place I run against the clock, and the Touring still makes lots of downforce with a bit more drag). Meanwhile it spoils the lines (imho) and attracts unwanted attention and blocks the view for cop watch. I get why people like it but I much prefer the car without.
^ This. Based on Petevb's written contributions to the Porsche brand, these are trustworthy words in praise of the 991.2 GT3 (with or w/o wing).
Old 07-16-2018, 10:53 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

Good pick up
Originally Posted by shapiroeric
So you're worried about how you're going to like the car because of concerns about the headlights and clock?
You were expecting complaints about tires not lasting long on the track, or perhaps how expensive replacement tires are because you tracked yours,
or should you get an extra set of wheels/tires for the track.

Not gonna happen.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:24 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Hey I resemble that remark!
But seriously, no right or wrong decision on clock. I like it, but if it wasn’t there i doubt i would notice.
At least it isn't the neutered Sport Chrono they charged $1280.00 for on the GT4 - double the price for less. Thanks to RL postings I dodged that bullet,
making the GT3T SC look cheap so I had to - LOL

Quick Reply: A Couple of Questions about the GT3 Touring