Sponsored by:

What I learned driving a .2 GT3 at PEC LA

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018 | 02:08 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Aku700
and btw, I did the 1.29 with my Michelin Sport 4S tires, most everyone else had SportCup2's, etc. I was sliding around a lot, but damn it was fun, so I can probably shave off another 2-4 seconds with better tires, maybe more, who knows.
And I loved your article, because after realizing how fast my GTS was, is a GT3 too much for me?
A
You have no worry on the GT3 being "Too Much". The additional Torque of the GTS Turbocharger gives them almost identical Track Performance
Check out the Hockenheim Lap Times Below by the same driver in both Models.
17.Porsche 911 GT3 Christain Gebhardt1:07.90 500 HP / 1443
18.Porsche 911 Carrera GTSChristian Gebhardt1:08.00450 HP/ 1507
Old 07-02-2018 | 10:17 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

@PorscheFrank : Great writeup !
But do get the PDK though ! A lot is lost with the MT. You give up some control of and connection to the car. And you give up the cup car like feel and shifts that the PDK bangs in. The MT just waters the car down too much imo.
Old 07-02-2018 | 11:38 AM
Aku700
Instructor

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
You have no worry on the GT3 being "Too Much". The additional Torque of the GTS Turbocharger gives them almost identical Track Performance
Check out the Hockenheim Lap Times Below by the same driver in both Models.
17.Porsche 911 GT3 Christain Gebhardt1:07.90 500 HP / 1443
18.Porsche 911 Carrera GTSChristian Gebhardt1:08.00450 HP/ 1507
ya, I heard about that, but I have the 2015 NA GTS. Not sure if I can ever go to a turbo 911. I test drove one 2017 911 S, it was very good, the torque at lower/mid range rpm was insane. There was a youtube video of GTS NA and GTS Turbo side by side on freeway, they slowed down to around 30mph or so and hit it, the turbo GTS literally disappeared, its amazing how fast it is. But still, I love my GTS when I hit, 4, 5, 6 and 7, it screams and is so DAMN FUN.
Old 07-02-2018 | 07:38 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Aku700
Here is another reason I go with the 18's, I just came back from Streets of Willow last Saturday, did my first day EVER on a track with my MT 991 GTS and it was beyond explanation or expectations. I am not sure what times are considered fast, but with my amazing instructor Robert at this POC event, I got my time down from 1.40 a lap in my first session to 1.29 a lap on the 4th session, not bad for a newbie. And to my surprise, I won best in class, beat several higher performance cars, but anyway, here is what's so great about the 18's, you can adjust the sides, similar to bucket, but obviously no comparison, but it was enough to keep my body planted throughout this course, I never thought/worried about my body, my legs/body never moved. I think the fastest times on the course were around 1.25s, so the fact I did this in comfort and no sliding in my 18's speaks volumes, it actually reaffirms my decision to go 18s. Also, on another note that I didn't think about, I was purchasing my helmet at Werks II in Burbank week prior to race, I noticed they had buckets, so they said, "ya, we can just swap them in/out with ease". So, since I will only track my GT3 3-5 times a year, I can buy the buckets and swap them in/out as needed, that is if I get more serious about this racing, because this was an accelerating experience to track a car and have no cops, radars, lazers, deer, bicyclist, pedestrians, grandma's and/or any other crap to worry about, except for passing slower cars, lol.

and btw, I did the 1.29 with my Michelin Sport 4S tires, most everyone else had SportCup2's, etc. I was sliding around a lot, but damn it was fun, so I can probably shave off another 2-4 seconds with better tires, maybe more, who knows.

And it also reaffirms Manual vs PDK. I was really worried about tracking for my first time and shifting, brake, clutch, gas, yada, yada, yada, this is my first manual car in 25 years, so I was scarred xxxxless out there on my first few laps, but at the end of the day, I was like "WOW", I love the manual, going down towards the skid and popping it from 2nd to 3rd was awesome, then into 4th, so ya, you FEEL that car, more connected somehow, MANUAL is the way to go. But that's only my personal opinion/experience, to each his own obviously. Yes, manual in traffic sucks, but thank god I work from home, so only spend about 10% of my year bumper to bumper LA grid.

And I loved your article, because after realizing how fast my GTS was, is a GT3 too much for me?

A
lol, take a breath bro, did you write this AT the track?!?
Old 07-02-2018 | 11:29 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Congrats! Thanks for sharing and hope you have the track bug for good. It is like heroin for sure and makes street driving incredibly boring.
Old 07-03-2018 | 12:59 AM
BLAM
Instructor

Great write up Frank. I have a .2 coming in January (Miami PDK) and have never driven a GT3, so your experience is great info for me. You have me thinking of going to the Experience center in LA. If you decide to get a PDK car you will love it. It's one of the highpoints of Porsche technology in my opinion. Like the PCCBs the top performance build for the GT3 is PDK. I just love the experience of the impossibly fast shifts in my GTS and can only imagine what the GT3 will be like. I want to spend some time on the track also and I truly feel I will be busy enough with the PDK just keeping the car on the pavement. I don't want to worry about missing a shift and possibly dropping the transmission. I had an 84 SC that had to have the transmission replaced just out of warranty for over 8K$ (probably 50K in todays money). The biggest drawback of that experience was nearly three months without the car while it was in the shop waiting on parts!
I ordered the 4 ways in my GTS to save weight and there are lots or write-ups on the forum that suggest they are more comfortable than the 18s. They also provide more headroom for tall drivers. For the GT3 I will go with the LWB again to save weight and I love the look.
Old 07-03-2018 | 01:01 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Maverick11
Go do the porsche driving school in Birmingham. Really well run, you’ll feel worthy of a GT3 after a couple days. Ive been several times and its more fun every time. Forces you up a steep learning curve quickly.
here here, you won't regret it - I went in APR, big fun. was blown away how capable the cars were
Old 07-03-2018 | 06:52 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

If you buy the car for yourself and not worrying about resale later, then get the sofa seats. I am actually ordering sofas on my GT2RS. They are that much more comfortable for regular use, especially on long trips. I have had enough of the LWBs in my other cars that I am actually getting sick of them. Even on track, just using the 3 point belt instead of full 6 point harness, either seat will hold you just fine. The LWBs only advantage is that it has pass through for 6 point, it's a moot point for North American cars as we can't get the factory roll cage and factory 6 point.
Old 07-03-2018 | 02:46 PM
wanesso
Instructor

Originally Posted by StealthGT3
Great commentary about your first time at the track.
You probably lost a few pounds from all the adrenaline, I know I did my fist time.
If your GT3 will be 75% street 25% track go with he 6spd Manual. The engagement factor is lost with PDK, manual is a lot more fun and makes you one with the car.

Agree about the manual---it's quite amazing and if the track, particularly racing, is a minor part of the time with the car, it's just more fun. Plus, learning to handle the MT on the track will be a great learning experience. But really, you can't go wrong with any configuration of the 991.2 GT3
Old 07-03-2018 | 03:19 PM
CDNRay
Advanced

PorscheFrank, first time I took my .2 RS to the track, I hated the car. Being honest, I spent the morning wondering why anyone liked Porsche's. I should also note that my RS is my first ever Porsche, first ever rear engine, rwd car as well. I was quite honestly scared of the car, the driving dynamics were so unlike anything I'd ever driven on track before, I debated selling it. LOL. After the morning sessions were over, was at lunch and talking to a bunch of guys about GT3's. Talked about how my car was getting sideways all the time (which I don't mind and am comfortable doing, but only when I'm trying to do that). In the RS, I was getting sideways without trying, that was frustrating. The car has so much power and I had such little skill at that point, I was going fast in all the straights and slow in all the turns. I became 'that guy'. 'That guy' who had the great track car but couldn't drive it. LOL. So again, at lunch, ended up talking to a younger guy who began giving me pointers on how to take the turns in a GT car. He was young, I asked him which car was his, his response "I don't own a car". hmm, so I'm thinking to myself, did he learn everything from Xbox or a simulator? He went on to let me know he had a factory ride... he was Zach Robichon, drives for Mark Motors in IMSA. LOL. A few of his pointers were absolutely life changing for me as I'm hoping they will be for you. You need to use some amount of brake, from as little as breathing on them to whatever to put the weight down on the front when entering a turn. You MUST use the throttle to balance the car through the turn. Once you find your *alls, you can apply throttle ahead of the apex. This is what as he explained, gives you the ability to go 'fast in and fast out'. I spent the afternoon trying it out, man oh man, what a difference. That afternoon I must have shaved 5 seconds off my laptimes. My home track is Mosport in Bowmanville, Canada, btw.

As for seats, I love my LWB's, they are seriously awesome, I also added a cage and harnesses though, can't do that with 18 ways. If you're going to spend most of your time on the street, I'm sure the 18 ways will be terrific, but on track, the LWB's are pretty awesome.

From your more recent posts, sounds like you are chalking up day 1 to inexperience and are still going with the GT3, you won't regret it. But I agree with the others and yourself, driving on the street is absolutely nothing like driving it on a track. What this car can do on track is truly unbelievable and will give you a true sense of appreciation.
Old 07-03-2018 | 04:22 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

op is 37 and buying a 200k car?

i ****ed up in life i think
Old 07-04-2018 | 01:21 AM
silvertige
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bmw_e30
op is 37 and buying a 200k car?

i ****ed up in life i think
Honestly, doesn't mean a whole lot except that op is really into cars and Porsches... as most of us here are.
Old 07-04-2018 | 12:02 PM
PorscheFrank
Racer

OP here. Thanks everyone for the additional feedback, suggestions, and sharing your own experiences. The more I read the more confident I feel in my decision t get a GT3 and also the more my desire grows to continue to improve my driving ability. It really is addictive. Just after one tiny taste and I have been thinking about it everyday since. It seems like many of you veteran drivers out there had similar experiences to me when you were first starting out. It's comforting to know that.

Here's my current thinking.

Surprisingly I changed my mind and decided to go with the LWBs. Again they weren't uncomfortable for me, but not super comfortable during my PEC experience. I think part of that was that during the PEC experience I was nervous and not comfortable myself so I don't really want to blame the LWBs completely. I also figured that frankly I wouldn't be using it as a road trip car very often. Without a doubt the sofas are more comfortable. I guess I decided that since this is my first GT3 to sacrifice some comfort and adjustability for the look and feel of being in something more track-spec.

Also surprising is that I'm actually less certain about transmission choice. I truly believe that I will love either the manual for the fun and experience of rowing your own, or the PDK for the most potent GT3 experience. Things that resonated with me on RL was that if I want the row your own experience and connectedness to the car that I should get a 997 or even an air-cooled car. But also the idea of watering down the GT3 experience and to some degree making the car less capable (although far far more capable than me still) seems to stick in my mind as well. Obviously not having go insane while in traffic is another bonus. I really think you can't go wrong with either. I guess I'm slightly leaning towards the manual because I had a PDK GTS and somehow that was kind of boring to me. I had wished I had the manual in the GTS. But for the GT3 I don't know if I will feel the same way. I have the manual in my build now and my dealer tells me I have until August 3rd (But could be sooner) to make a change. I'm partially hoping it locks in early and I don't have to decide. I know I will love either.

In my earlier post I was also said I was considering saving some money and skipping things like Bose and carbon fiber door sills, leather interior. etc. but in the end I decided to keep everything else in my build the same. While it was true that I didn't notice any of these things during my PEC experience, I think these little details may only add to my enjoyment of the car on a daily basis. Also this is the first new car I've ever ordered to my specs so it feels kinda special to get all the things you want.

All the comments about the track driving experiences being addictive is so true. When I was first thinking of getting GT3 I honestly said to myself that I probably wouldn't take it on the track that much if ever, but now I'm really understanding why people have these track-only cars that rarely if ever get driven on the street.

Thanks to all of you who shared your thoughts and experiences with me. I am incredibly grateful. I'm looking at hitting up Birmingham to do a two day course with a friend in September. Can't wait!!
Old 07-04-2018 | 02:27 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think you will be very happy with a GT3 and with your most recent leanings of LWB's and Manual.
Old 07-04-2018 | 03:19 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

If you are still uncertain about the transmission, and if you have the time, you could book another 90 minutes at either the LA or Atlanta Porsche experience and drive both PDK and manual, 45 min each, and see how you feel. They will be able to accommodate your needs. Instructor offered me the choice of manual for the second half of my last visit, but I was enjoying the PDK, since last time I was there I did a GT4. Call first if you decide to do so. Just a suggestion...

Quick Reply: What I learned driving a .2 GT3 at PEC LA