Sponsored by:

Akrapovic Evo vs. Evo Race for 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 04:46 PM
mafoofan
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Akrapovic Evo vs. Evo Race for 991.2 GT3

Ladies and gents--my GT3 order is now locked in. I'm expecting October/November delivery. I'd like to have an exhaust installed when the car arrives and am leaning toward Akrapovic. I have to pre-order now to make sure the parts come in before my car.

So, the choice I have to make is: Evolution system (full exhaust with side mufflers and center bypass) vs. Evolution Race system (full exhaust with no side mufflers and center bypass). My main concern is "drone" and livability.

This will not be a daily driver, but a weekend car and road trip car. So, I want it to feel like an event every time I drive the thing and probably have more of an appetite and tolerance for loudness as a result. However, I also want to be able to hold a conversation with my wife during our drives (which could be hours long). Can anyone advise on volume and "drone" between the two systems? I put quotes around the latter because, to be honest, it's never been clear to me what that really means. If it's just the engine and exhaust humming along, I don't see what the big deal is. But maybe someone can educate me!

Thanks--much appreciated!
Old 06-27-2018, 04:51 PM
mafoofan
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 35 Posts

For reference:

Evolution

Evolution Race
Old 06-27-2018, 04:57 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 231 Posts

Get the evolution race if you don't want to have conversations in the car - you would have no muffler with that setup.

The side muffler setup with bypass would be plenty loud for a street going car.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:25 PM
AhsanU
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by redmonkey928
Get the evolution race if you don't want to have conversations in the car - you would have no muffler with that setup.

The side muffler setup with bypass would be plenty loud for a street going car.
I think this is a common misconception. Most people automatically assume you can't have a conversation with the race setup or with a setup that had no mufflers/resonators. This is simply not true.

I currently have a set of long tube headers that go into valved side mufflers, then into a CMB. Yes, it's loud, but it isn't severely loud inside the cabin - especially with the windows up. When I first got it installed, I thought I'd be placing an order for Dundon's black exhaust, which sounds absolutely amazing, because it'd be too much. But much to my and my wife's delight, you can have a conversation inside without having to scream. Keep the revs over 3k (sub 3k can drone), windows up, and you're completely fine. The sounds from the outside is a completely different story.

If you go completely catless then prepare for odd noises and rattles. It's 100% worth it for me though. My daily commutes are 15-25 minutes and I haven't tired of it yet.

Sounds glorious imo, but definitely not for everyone

https://youtu.be/ffef6LPjt1Y
Old 06-27-2018, 05:59 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want the greatest sound gains eliminating the cats is the way to go. After that replace cats with sports cats (200 cel) and then removing mufflers will give an incremental increase in sound. Hard to ever know without hearing what the final sound level will be though. Note though that removing cats does give a potential to get a CEL unless you dyno tune or get ECU tuned. I recently put a full system with 200 HJS cel cats on my 570 a from a leading manufacturer with a no CEL guarantee but guess what? I kept getting the CEL up and it ruined my whole experience. Car sounded fantastic but ended up going back to stock - just my little "beware" story about aftermarket &/or no cats.
I agree with above that the car won't be NASCAR loud with either of the systems you mention where you need ear plugs in and you might get some drone - at certain rpm the exhaust will start to resonate and amplify the sound. It's affected by many things but can be described as blowing over the top of a beer bottle and gives a louder, annoying sound but either lift slightly or drop a gear and its gone - personally I don't worry about drone but appreciate that others do.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:40 PM
TAGMotorsports
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 410 Likes on 224 Posts

So we have installed the New Evolution System with Race Slip On (the one that includes side mufflers) and honestly, it has been a joy. We have logged a few hundred miles on the car so far and cant be happier.

With the new system, the valves close and open automatically at part throttle (even with the PSE Button turned on) eliminating the drone inside the cabin so its pleasant for long rides. When PSE is on, and you're on the gas - the system is intoxicating.

We will post up some photos and videos shortly!

web: www.TAGMotorsports.com - email: sales@tagmotorsports.com
Authorized Dealer For: HRE, Vossen, TechArt, AWE, Bilstien, KW, Akrapovic, Capristo, Fabspseed, BBI, Vorsteiner, Milltek, 1016 Industries, BBS, Brembo, GMG, H&R, Pirelli, Michelin, Hankook & more.

TechArt & AWE Tuning's #1 Volume Dealer Nationwide
Old 06-27-2018, 08:56 PM
TAGMotorsports
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here are some installed photos. The first one in the country.

If you have any questions feel free to contact us HERE
Old 06-27-2018, 11:01 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Does this system require ECU reflash which their website seems to suugest it does?
Old 06-28-2018, 02:47 PM
TAGMotorsports
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by djcxxx
Does this system require ECU reflash which their website seems to suugest it does?
There is always a chance with high flow cats for a CEL to come, but, our customers have been driving their cars for a few hundred miles now and absolutely no issues whatsoever.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:59 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Just to make sure I have this right the slip on race plus the link pipes deletes the side mufflers but OEM headers and cats remain?
Old 06-28-2018, 04:55 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to make sure I have this right the slip on race plus the link pipes deletes the side mufflers but OEM headers and cats remain?
It looks like it replaces everything. The OEM cats look to get replaced for race cats - I assume these are 200 cel cats??
Old 06-28-2018, 05:23 PM
TAGMotorsports
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

That is 100% correct. I would be curious as to how this would sound!

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
It looks like it replaces everything. The OEM cats look to get replaced for race cats - I assume these are 200 cel cats??
Race Slip-On is just the center muffler delete, much like your GMG and Sharkwerks center muffler deletes. I'm sure @djcxxx is talking about this section along with the Akrapovics stand alone link pipes which can be purchased separately in order to maintain factory headers and cats.

These Akrapovic cats are 100 CPSI

Quick Reply: Akrapovic Evo vs. Evo Race for 991.2 GT3