Sponsored by:

DSCv3 Controller vs. 2018 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 04:08 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,594 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick11
Curious how those that have gone the DSC route are feeling about it on 991.2s specifically? Just took delivery of mine last week and putting some thought into this. Have always been curious but don’t have direct experience it.
Ive had the DSC on my 997.2 GT3 and my 991.1 GTS and I really liked them on those platforms producing a noticeable and valuable improvement in handling, but I have not yet taken the plunge on my 991.2 GT3 mainly because I really feel like the 1.2 GT3 is such a capable car that any aftermarket improvements I would make would be gilding the lily or the cherry on the cake ... basically I would not be able to "access" those improvements because my skill level was such that I could not extract the benefits of them from the car... YMMV (and just to put that in perspective my personal best 'Ring BtoG time was 7:35 in the car...)
Old 01-03-2019, 04:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
ok - we're installed - man that's a pain in the *** with the GMG roll bar - but it's installed - only thing is I can't get device to show up on USB bus - but it might be my cable

Question: does the device come ready to use with a baseline for 991.2 GT3 - or do I have to actually get it to connect to the DSC software and do an initial install - PSAM button works as expected - no noticeable differences as of yet - but we'll be testing at Laguna Seca this weekend!!
I should have said that the DSC comes ready to plug and play - you do not need to perform any post-install initialization, *however* you might want to install the appropriate maps for the car (unless your vendor did that for you already)
Old 01-03-2019, 05:40 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

i have tom's dsc in my 991.1 gt3 track car... i also have the dsc in a pasm 997.2 carrera s

in both cases i would say the biggest benefit is that the dsc seems to broaden the pasm operating range on shock damping, esp. on the soft end... therefore more compliance for road driving while still supporting the loaded corners of the car well at speed

when driven hard, i think the effect is more subtle... to me, the car seems to stay slightly calmer when loaded/unloaded, esp. in tighter corners on track. no doubt the stock calibration in a 991.1 gt3 is already excellent... i am quite a smooth driver on track (have learned over time this is a real key to speed) - maybe someone who 'tosses' the car more would feel more of a difference

all in all - as larry cable said, it adds something quite positive to ownership experience
Old 01-03-2019, 05:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
i have tom's dsc in my 991.1 gt3 track car... i also have the dsc in a pasm 997.2 carrera s

in both cases i would say the biggest benefit is that the dsc seems to broaden the pasm operating range on shock damping, esp. on the soft end... therefore more compliance for road driving while still supporting the loaded corners of the car well at speed

when driven hard, i think the effect is more subtle... to me, the car seems to stay slightly calmer when loaded/unloaded, esp. in tighter corners on track. no doubt the stock calibration in a 991.1 gt3 is already excellent... i am quite a smooth driver on track (have learned over time this is a real key to speed) - maybe someone who 'tosses' the car more would feel more of a difference

all in all - as larry cable said, it adds something quite positive to ownership experience
+1 also worth noting that (I believe) the DSC also dynamically (can) stiffen the front under braking and the rear under acceleration, as well as stiffening the "outside" of the car in corners which also improves braking and cornering ...
Old 01-04-2019, 11:50 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 943 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib

Thank you for your feedback! Your car looks great!

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 01-04-2019, 12:16 PM
Maverick11
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks everyone, exaclty what I was looking for. Going to spend a couple more weeks to get used to the car and get through break-in then decide what to do. Agree that its hard to imagine the car getting much better but the dynamic features sound good enough on paper that its probably worth a try.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:24 PM
FredGT3
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a V2 unit on my 991.1, I got it from Macca who had played with the coding a bit. I do find it better on the road with the DSC, you can use sport mode a surprising amount of the time.

I've swapped back and forth a number of times and always like it more with the DSC in.

Regards
Fred
Old 01-04-2019, 01:09 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 943 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
+1 also worth noting that (I believe) the DSC also dynamically (can) stiffen the front under braking and the rear under acceleration, as well as stiffening the "outside" of the car in corners which also improves braking and cornering ...
Yes, DSC does dynamically stiffen the front damper compression (and simultaneously stiffens the rear damper rebound to supplement the front) during hard braking to help prevent excessive weight distribution to the front. This feature reduces the rate of front dive and in some case the total amount of front dive, which results in more stable braking, and increases front tire grip thus slightly delaying ABS engagement to allow for slightly deeper threshold braking. In HPDE events this may not quantify as anything, but in door-to-door racing this make all the difference with two cars side by side which car can brake 3-5 feet deeper. In my opinion even if this cannot be quantify in improvement in lap time a more stable car is safer to drive at the grip limit and can be more pleasurable to drive. The amount of stiffness that DSC commands to the dampers to directly relative the the amount of actual load(brake line pressure, vertical g-force and rate of change).

For cornering, DSC commands the dampers to be softer during initial corner entry. This allows the tires to "bite" better and then as the lateral g-force builds up from the tire grip, DSC commands the dampers individually to be stiffer relative the g-force and rate of change. The bonus as Larry Cable pointed out is the inside damping stays soft for compliance apexing over track curbing.

The objective of the DSC is to work with the driver to optimize weight distribution management.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:49 PM
blurum
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick11
Thanks everyone, exaclty what I was looking for. Going to spend a couple more weeks to get used to the car and get through break-in then decide what to do. Agree that its hard to imagine the car getting much better but the dynamic features sound good enough on paper that its probably worth a try.
@Maverick11 - Did you ever get the DSCV3? Thread's gone quiet. Was thinking of getting it for daily driving mostly.
Wonder if any more forum members got one since the last post on this thread? Curious about their feedback on daily driving it.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:42 PM
Maverick11
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

I have not pulled the trigger yet. Still leaning towards it but have just been preoocupied with other things last couple months. When I do finally do it Ill give a review so folks have some better intel to make a decsion on.

Quick Reply: DSCv3 Controller vs. 2018 GT3