Sponsored by:

Need some Renn'rs Los Angeles/Ventury County

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 10:39 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Aku700
I live in Westlake Village and have really only seen deer/coyotes on the roads during the day, mainly around the 23 hwy going up and over to beach, but I have driven the night routes probably 50+ times and so far, haven't seen 1 creature yet. I think driving fast day or night you always have a chance, but I actually think night canyon driver is safer simply due to less cars and the fact you can see oncoming traffic is fantastic. But when I go, its usually about 8-9pm, so most nocturnal creatures due come out, but I expect later.
Info from a canyon resident - night hammering is dangerous - yes the deer cross the roads at night, they go down to the creeks to drink, and yes they get hit. Recently a night canyon slammer - we hear the screeching tyres - hit a big buck who crawled with broken legs 200' down the hill and died an ugly undeserved death near my trail. For days the vultures picked its bones. Night is not the time to hammer the canyons, a deer can leap in front at any time, and you have very short visibility. You need time to power stop to avoid, it's happened to me many times.

A tip if you're going to hit a deer in a 911/GT car: duck down!!! Good chance it's coming through your windshield.

BTW, also scattered around my trails are car bits from all the crashes that become what the tow truck drivers call canyon retrievals - the long wire and hook down the mountain and the long pull back up. Slam with care!

Last edited by Sun Ra; 07-14-2018 at 10:49 PM. Reason: more
Old 07-14-2018, 10:54 PM
MJFDDS
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

No night canyon runs for me after reading that!
Originally Posted by Sun Ra
Info from a canyon resident - night hammering is dangerous - yes the deer cross the roads at night, they go down to the creeks to drink, and yes they get hit. Recently a night canyon slammer - we hear the screeching tyres - hit a big buck who crawled with broken legs 200' down the hill and died an ugly undeserved death near my trail. For days the vultures picked its bones. Night is not the time to hammer the canyons, a deer can leap in front at any time, and you have very short visibility. You need time to power stop to avoid, it's happened to me many times.

A tip if you're going to hit a deer in a 911/GT car: duck down!!! Good chance it's coming through your windshield.

BTW, also scattered around my trails are car bits from all the crashes that become what the tow truck drivers call canyon retrievals - the long wire and hook down the mountain and the long pull back up. Slam with care!
Old 07-15-2018, 12:27 AM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Sun Ra

Im thinking of trying some of the canyon drives at night but at a leisurely pace/the speed limit to just enjoy the car and scenery... would that still be feasible lol
Old 07-16-2018, 01:04 PM
Aku700
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been living in Westlake Village now 12 years and over the last 2 years I have noticed one odd item, when I went for drives and hikes(2 hikes a week) in local hills, I used to see deer about every month, I saw coyotes 35% of time I went on walks about 6am, but in the last 2 years, I haven't seen but 2 coyotes and probably 2-3 dear, so not sure what happened, did someone poison local food supply, did they relocate or other, whatever the reason it is odd, where did they go? At the end of the day, canyon running is a risk day or night, but I prefer night still because there are NO pedestrians to hit. I went for 7am drive on Saturday, ran across 5 bikers, 2 hikers and about 8-10 cars within 10 minute, vs at night last 50 times, no bicyclists, no hikers and just a few cars. And I have seen more deer at day vs night. Obviously safest is to drive at your comfort level, your pace and do whats best for you. there is no right/wrong when driving a PORSCHE, lol.

sorry I missed drive on 14th on ach, I didn't see the post on that, damn. next time.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:56 PM
MJFDDS
Rennlist Member

Next time for sure!

I have been living in Westlake Village now 12 years and over the last 2 years I have noticed one odd item, when I went for drives and hikes(2 hikes a week) in local hills, I used to see deer about every month, I saw coyotes 35% of time I went on walks about 6am, but in the last 2 years, I haven't seen but 2 coyotes and probably 2-3 dear, so not sure what happened, did someone poison local food supply, did they relocate or other, whatever the reason it is odd, where did they go? At the end of the day, canyon running is a risk day or night, but I prefer night still because there are NO pedestrians to hit. I went for 7am drive on Saturday, ran across 5 bikers, 2 hikers and about 8-10 cars within 10 minute, vs at night last 50 times, no bicyclists, no hikers and just a few cars. And I have seen more deer at day vs night. Obviously safest is to drive at your comfort level, your pace and do whats best for you. there is no right/wrong when driving a PORSCHE, lol.

sorry I missed drive on 14th on ach, I didn't see the post on that, damn. next time.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:18 AM
BrianPaul
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Include me in on this get together. I’m in Beverly Hills. Just got my GT3 Friday. I need friends. Lol.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:32 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can I expand this to the OC folks and maybe even SD? Let's get a meet/drive together. Too much talk on this forum and not enough driving.

The Socal GT4 owners have done a few drives already with great turnout (15+ cars). Who's interested?
Old 08-02-2018, 09:26 PM
Aku700
Instructor

Originally Posted by johnny2five
Can I expand this to the OC folks and maybe even SD? Let's get a meet/drive together. Too much talk on this forum and not enough driving.

The Socal GT4 owners have done a few drives already with great turnout (15+ cars). Who's interested?
Really comes down to distance, meaning SD drive to Malibu can take about 1hr or so, and vice versa.

but ya, why not, i love to drive, especially when roads are empty, 6/7am. Just post when, where and plan.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:27 PM
Aku700
Instructor

Really comes down to distance, meaning SD drive to Malibu can take about 1hr or so, and vice versa.

but ya, why not, i love to drive, especially when roads are empty, 6/7am. Just post when, where and plan.

and ya, too much yapping and not enough driving. Lol
Old 08-02-2018, 10:02 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,374 Likes on 635 Posts

SD to Malibu is more like 2.5 hrs unless it's at 3am
Old 08-02-2018, 10:10 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,079 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny2five

I'm in, PM me where and when.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:19 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 87 Posts

Shipping my car back to Canada in a couple of weeks, so looking to do one final drive next Saturday (11th), most likely ACH to Newcombs. Who's in? The more the merrier.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:26 AM
KJC03
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would love to tag along.. Anybody going out this weekend?
Old 08-03-2018, 01:41 AM
MJFDDS
Rennlist Member

I’m down to go. Let’s get something planned.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:41 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,079 Likes on 2,331 Posts

What time? I need to be back in Orange County by 10am to meet my client.

Quick Reply: Need some Renn'rs Los Angeles/Ventury County