Sponsored by:

Tires for Rough street use?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 05:27 PM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Tires for Rough street use?

12k+ miles on the clock. 2nd time a tire got a bolt. The first one literally had no point...unless is clean broke off. The one now I still need to take out as it just happened today.

Both tires are the Sport Cup 2’s.

2 questions-
1. Are the SC2’s more susceptible to puncture? Something with the softer compound...?
2. Is there a tire that is more durable for road use in high trafficked areas(aka- ‘many poor road conditions’.)

I currently have Super Sports on the OEM wheels that I put on for any light use in the winter. ; )
but I’m thinking they might just be better for the street overall. And save my BBS/SC2 set up for the track.

Thanks.

Last edited by PhilT3 (PT3); 06-24-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:15 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Softer the tire the more likely sharp objects will stick to it and puncture when it rolls over something like that.

So of course an all season tire that’s not quite as soft and which would also have deeper tread blocks is probably less vulnerable, but that sacrifices grip and sharpness cornering.

Probably the best compromise all season tire for Porsche is Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, which would also be excellent in rain and light snow.

But it reminds me of funny story when I took my first 911 (a 996 Targa) to tire shop and asked for most economical solution for winter driving. The guy walked around my car, appearing to inspect it carefully, then looked me straight in the eye and said, “1989 Toyota Corolla... it will drive better in the snow and cost less than a set of winter wheels and tires for this.”
Old 06-24-2018, 09:56 PM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
Softer the tire the more likely sharp objects will stick to it and puncture when it rolls over something like that.

So of course an all season tire that’s not quite as soft and which would also have deeper tread blocks is probably less vulnerable, but that sacrifices grip and sharpness cornering.

Probably the best compromise all season tire for Porsche is Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, which would also be excellent in rain and light snow.

But it reminds me of funny story when I took my first 911 (a 996 Targa) to tire shop and asked for most economical solution for winter driving. The guy walked around my car, appearing to inspect it carefully, then looked me straight in the eye and said, “1989 Toyota Corolla... it will drive better in the snow and cost less than a set of winter wheels and tires for this.”
ha! Good story! The RS isn’t my daily. But I like to drive it as much as I can both on track and off.
‘Totally understand the loss of traction.
‘Your feedback is beginning to confirm my thinking. Thanks bud.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:35 PM
Aku700
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I would look at the Michelin Sport 4S. These are really quiet and smooth tires. I have them on my GTS and are fantastic. Two weeks ago I went to Exotics Racing in Fontana, did 13 laps with 991.2 GT3 and after it was done, I wanted to see if they had Cup2 or other and I was surprised it was the 4S tires as well.

Quick Reply: Tires for Rough street use?