Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Schroth belts to use, 4 point or 6 point???

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 02:16 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BK77
Yeah, 4 point does makes a lot of sense... decisions decisions..... Thanks of the offer, but if I do go 4 point I'm going to go black.
No problem, your post only reminded me I have them. Not in a hurry to sell, until my RS arrives... I'll not know 'for sure' what color belts I may need.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 06-25-2018, 06:40 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Dunno about PCA not allowing 6 point harness because a tiny slit needs to be made in the passenger seat. I have6 points both sides. On the other hand PCA has made some very odd rules - the 5 year harness rule for example. It's OK to use a 20 year old 3 point belt but a harness expires after 5 years ...WTF?

I am told PCA is planning on a rule which will require a HANS if a harness is used. In a car with functional airbags this makes zero sense to me. ... other than making money for people that make and or sell HANS.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:03 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Dunno about PCA not allowing 6 point harness because a tiny slit needs to be made in the passenger seat. I have6 points both sides. On the other hand PCA has made some very odd rules - the 5 year harness rule for example. It's OK to use a 20 year old 3 point belt but a harness expires after 5 years ...WTF?

I am told PCA is planning on a rule which will require a HANS if a harness is used. In a car with functional airbags this makes zero sense to me. ... other than making money for people that make and or sell HANS.
I believe this rule is in effect, if you have harness must have Hans. Lot of weird rules, windows down, only hand signals no use of indicators( very unsafe). No 4 point with antisub belt but will allow 3 point. etc. What I really find funny is that they updated the rules for Hans devices with harnesses for safety yet they still won't allow windows up with indicators allowing for constant control over the steering wheel, Thats what they do that in at The Driving School but we still have to use hand signals and windows down. At first I thought it was just because it was hard to get changes to the rules but here we are with the brand new hans rule so really WTF?
Old 06-26-2018, 12:01 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 196 Posts

The 6-point may be a hassle to install in our street cars but that's the only harness I'd go with. Safety's the obvious point--if you're going to take your GT2RS to the limit, you want the best protection.

Then there are practical performance considerations. The LWBs (or whatever seats have you) are road seats. They just don't hug you the same way a fitted race bucket does. The net effect is we rely on the belts for seat feel in the road cars, rather than the seat itself.

The lap belts are there to provide lateral seat feel. But with a 4-point you're missing the forward-backward dimension afforded by the crotch belt.

I used to not finesse with the crotch belt, thinking it was just there to prevent the driver from submarining in a frontal impact. But as one got faster, the the data started showing my butt shifting front-to-back, and that in turn affected my braking consistency (esp. true if you LFB, and there's no left foot for buttressing). Towards the end of last season I reconfigured the crotch belt for a tighter "hold" and voila, the braking traces began to look far better, and I was shaving times just from being more secure.

If a better fitted crotch belt yielded tangible improvements, I can't imagine lapping without one. And while we're at it, I wouldn't go for 5 points... go the whole way with 6.

BTW I had 918 LWBs in the 991.1 and installed 6-points no problem. The seat shells had pre-fab'd holes under the crotch.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:29 AM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
The 6-point may be a hassle to install in our street cars but that's the only harness I'd go with. Safety's the obvious point--if you're going to take your GT2RS to the limit, you want the best protection.
But as one got faster, the the data started showing my butt shifting front-to-back, and that in turn affected my braking consistency (esp. true if you LFB, and there's no left foot for buttressing). Towards the end of last season I reconfigured the crotch belt for a tighter "hold" and voila, the braking traces began to look far better, and I was shaving times just from being more secure.
I couldn't agree more, I am in between RS cars at the moment and only running the lap belt with a Hybrid Hans in the Touring and after a bunch of sessions this weekend my bootie muscles are all kinds of messed up from moving around, the LWB are decent but not full race seats like you say but the lack of harness is killing me, can't wait to get the RS back and get her properly ready for the track. 6 points all the way and a proper race seat esp with the PDK and left foot braking
Old 06-26-2018, 11:28 AM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback guys, very much appreciated.

I've decided to do 6 point both sides, it just doesn't make any sense to not to have them especially when tracking the car.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:33 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 108 Posts

I use the 4 pt, and has been great on track. I use 6pt in my race-cars, but for my dual purpose GT3 and M3, nothing beats the Schroth quickfits specific for those cars. Perfectly safe and the support it provides is great for DE driving. No lap belts in the way for street driving, or hacking up a carbon bucket.

You can argue pro/cons for both, but ultimately it's just a decision. Both provide proven, sled tested safety.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:14 PM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gmgracing
Definitely recommend going with the 6 point. Its a little more labor intensive, but worth it!
I had my shop go ahead and order the your WEC bar, sub mount and Buffeting kit today, thanks again for the recommendation. I'm going with 6 point...

Quick Reply: Which Schroth belts to use, 4 point or 6 point???