Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have .2RS spring rates, now sway bars and shock valving..

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018 | 08:24 AM
Raucky
Instructor

Very interesting thread, I look forward to what you guys figure out. Please continue to share with us!
Old 06-19-2018 | 09:26 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Hi Sean,

Probably more chance to get an answer from him than from AP ;-)
Thanks.

Not much hope to get a response from either unless I find another 999,800 Youtube subscribers, but worth a try.
Maybe I need to start tracking sideways Tokyo Drift like with the wing on fire and a naked slutty model in the passenger seat to get an actual .2RS
I've sent you and he an email connecting you guys. Good luck! I can't believe you haven't gotten a .2RS.... crazy!
Old 06-19-2018 | 09:47 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Hmm, this car only has about a year of track duty left, so I have to see about cost and resale, unless of course I can swap them onto a new .2RS.
So those just ignore PASM and it’s plug and play?
I thought the new shocks are pretty good, but I just don’t know enough about them. Rally style shock setup works really well at Sebring though.
from my short stints in the 991.1gt3, 991.1rs, 991.2gt3 the shocks do get better, for sure, the 991.2gt3 feeling the best of that bunch. The one thing I did notice with the later car is compliance with control, and that’s what you want obviously. So nothing wrong w/ emulating. Interesting thought should you choose to go that direction... a setup like a TTX is what all the race teams use, i’m Sure they ALL know how to set these things up, will need to soften them up a bit, less aero, hoho vs. slicks, weight, but, i’ll Guess you’re not that far off the pace of club racers. :-)

Just something to consider.
Old 06-19-2018 | 09:54 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Originally Posted by sgroer
I've sent you and he an email connecting you guys. Good luck! I can't believe you haven't gotten a .2RS.... crazy!
exactly, some allocation gotta happen for Trakcar , his tenacity will succeed for .2rs car and as hype softens and someone bails out on check signing time

oh yea thxs for educational reading here all , more interesting than shade of whatever
Old 06-19-2018 | 11:08 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sgroer
Thanks Sean, email replied. Bribes offered, hehe.
Not looking forward to getting my deposit refunded, still fingers crossed....

Originally Posted by Spyerx

from my short stints in the 991.1gt3, 991.1rs, 991.2gt3 the shocks do get better, for sure, the 991.2gt3 feeling the best of that bunch. The one thing I did notice with the later car is compliance with control, and that’s what you want obviously. So nothing wrong w/ emulating. Interesting thought should you choose to go that direction... a setup like a TTX is what all the race teams use, i’m Sure they ALL know how to set these things up, will need to soften them up a bit, less aero, hoho vs. slicks, weight, but, i’ll Guess you’re not that far off the pace of club racers. :-)

Just something to consider.
I'm sure its better, but its one of those things I am not technical enough for to really want to experiment with. Kevin Estre did all right with the .2GT3RS, so unless someone else wants to let me drive their test lab it seems like a simple thing to duplicate OEM.

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
exactly, some allocation gotta happen for Trakcar , his tenacity will succeed for .2rs car and as hype softens and someone bails out on check signing time
oh yea thxs for educational reading here all , more interesting than shade of whatever
I'm just quietly waiting for my turn...For now, we upgrade Mr. Purple :-)

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 06-19-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-19-2018 | 12:37 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Peter,
Not sure if you saw my thread on the 997 section. I installed the gt2rs rear setup (fronts i went w/ swift). Just get the shocks from .2 , and send your .1 shocks to get re-valved if you don't find the .2 shocks to suffice, which i doubt you will find that to be the case.

As for the brain, does anyone know if the .1 and .2 active suspension module can be interchanged ? If not - why not give that a try ? Can DSC pull values from oem .2 active suspension and place in your DSC box ?
Old 06-19-2018 | 01:20 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I seen your thread.
Just waiting to see if I can clarify if PASM will take the .2RS shocks.
And that's a good idea to leave my old ones to maybe go beyond what the .2RS are. Revalving is cheap enough.

I've never directly communicated with DSC, maybe you can ask those questions?
If they can, with the right instructions, I will get a read out. I have a USB cable that's plugged into the DSC box coming to the front for easy plug in.
I just don't know how, nor do I have the software. I'm sure Orbit can sort this out.
Old 06-19-2018 | 02:49 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Peter, the DSC V3(?) controller for your car; is it like the C7 Corvette version in that besides the stock map version, you can within the software go in and adjust each variable for each individual shock? IF so, you could ‘soften’ up the settings in the firmer ‘Sport’ modes perhaps?

Mike at DSC would be the person I would be reaching out to, if again, the shocks/DSC allow to customize each corner of the car.

Apologies, if the different car versions don’t allow this.

Bish
Old 06-19-2018 | 03:17 PM
A/S
Rennlist Member

I did something similar a few years back to my 2012 Carrera S. I had the base PASM car, so initially I only changed the springs to the S-PASM but kept the PASM shocks (the S-PASM 991 springs are super stiff, rear ones are stiffer than a 997.2 GT3 per specs and double checked by testing them with a weights and a caliper).

Results were fine in the front, but the rear got floppy, stiffer but under-damped (like having no shocks, it was that bad). So, I bought all the hardware: 4 shocks from S-PASM, new bump stops, and I bought a new controller (shock computer) as it was a different part#. Installed everything and the car was so much better. In this car I already had a 991.1 GT3 front sway bar and the stock rear PASM 991 sway bar. Car was fantastic to drive. I had the chance to drive my car and a 2013 PASM/PDCC 991S on the same wheels/tires at a test track (we actually swapped the wheels to both cars), my car was faster on the timer with 2 experienced drivers.

So, simply buy 4 new shocks from the 991.2 GT3 RS (I wrote about this in another tread, shocks/springs must match, springs by themselves won't do much). Also buy the stock controller, and place the DSC in a box at your office desk. At a later time, 1-2 years from now, TPC and their great staff should be able to come up with maps for the 2019 GT3 RS, but while that happens, you may not be running an optimal shocks control setup with DSC despite of using all the hardware from the 991.2 GT3 RS, as I doubt a DSC map would work with 991.1 GT3, 991.2 GT3, 991.1 GT3 RS, 991.2 GT3 RS. Now, if you have access to a shock engineer that knows DSC fully, and they can match or improve the maps in the stock 2019 GT3 RS shock controller, go for it, but while that happens, the stock 2019 GT3 RS controller will keep you checked.

On a related topic, the 991.2 GT3 RS sway bars (I don't have the parts manual yet for that car) if they are different part# than your car, just buy them (include the bushings) they install in the same location for all the 991 GT cars. If you feel adventurous, buy the Carbon sway bars and I will buy them from you when you part ways with your car (at 25% of its retail price, so you get the idea how expensive they are). Sway bars are part of the spring package, so make sway bars, springs, shocks and controller match. Save your stock parts, for a future car buyer (people like to have their stock parts even though they would never use them).

Ohlins makes a suspension kit for the 991 GT3 (their TTX series), but I don't like to be playing with shocks (compression, rebound, low and high speed adjustments, 4 corners, thousands of combinations, thousands of chances to get it wrong). Nothing more "East Button"(r) than PASM. With a shock engineer and Ohlins TTX, the car would work better than any stock setup (the stock car needs to be street capable), but I doubt Ohlins has settings for your car, your weight, your wheels/tires package, the track temperature and the track you decide to run on a given day. So, PASM is the easy option.

TPC has the Tractive stuff, that is far superior to anything Porsche stock, and works with the current DSC, that would be another option.

If you want to go even faster, Catless headers, my 991.1 RS gained a lot of top end when I had them, I miss them, but the car was a little loud for my taste. Even faster: Cup wing. Even faster: Pirelli Slicks. Even faster: start deleting comfort items for weight reduction.
Old 06-19-2018 | 04:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Thanks A/S.

Makes sense.
I'm hoping for some confirmation from Germany that the .2RS stuff just bolts over and be done with it.
I'm keeping this RS, so once its relegated to DD, you can still get my parts :-)

Quick Reply: Have .2RS spring rates, now sway bars and shock valving..