Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you guys think this R is a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 05:48 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
It's a monopoly, genius move actually. We are ALL unwilling subscribers

(Someone about to claim theyre the last of the Mohicans hold-out non-subscriber in 3,2...1...)
Radio delete baby!!
Old 06-10-2018, 06:23 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
It's a monopoly, genius move actually. We are ALL unwilling subscribers

(Someone about to claim theyre the last of the Mohicans hold-out non-subscriber in 3,2...1...)
Satellite radio is already past it's time. I remember when it first came out I was excited, the pitch was cool. And I was shocked when I heard it and though it sounded WORSE than FM. So then I looked into it, and "all digital" doesn't matter if your stream is compressed to the tiny amount of data they use for each channel. In general FM has better sound quality than satellite radio. And HD radio surprisingly is really awesome--never would have chosen it but it just came with the car.

I'd be interested to know the actual subscription rates. Like others said, with Google Play, Spotify, iTunes etc there is just no need for satellite radio. Horrible sound quality and it's still just "radio".

The only good reason to subscribe is to get them to stop harassing you.

And I swear to god, I would pay $100 in a heartbeat to be able to delete it from a build. I'm scared to think of the upper bound of what I might pay to delete the wart actually--especially if you had PTS. Oh, you know that wart you hate and will never use? Well now that you pay $12K extra, we're going to paint the wart BLACK and still force you to take it! :P
Old 06-27-2018, 09:51 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

On Bring A Trailer. $275 at the moment.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2016-porsche-911-r/

Old 06-27-2018, 10:53 AM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 179 Posts

If this GT Silver 911R had buckets in Tarpan and SMFW, I would buy it immediately in lieu of Touring.

Strongly considering radio delete for my Touring build but don't know if I'll have the courage. At least the warts are coming painted in body color on Tourings (even PTS I believe). Also, the location is less offensive. I hear that black warts were a mistake on the non-Tourings that they never bothered to correct after the start of production.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:56 AM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

I'd guess that the market value of this 911R without key features is roughly $225k, close to the price of a very loaded Touring.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:58 AM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the one that somehow traded down from Canada without being sold. It’s a strange story and stranger build.

Originally Posted by Nizer
On Bring A Trailer. $275 at the moment.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2016-porsche-911-r/

Old 06-27-2018, 12:32 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

At $175-200k for a Touring, and if the R with SMFW and houndstooth buckets are at $275-300k, without having driven either one but based on what I've read and what appeals to me, I would go with the R if I could swing it. Reading past the general vitriol towards the R and based on the RLers who own the R and talk about it, it seems like a very special experience and IMO that's what these cars are all about. Limited edition with some retro bits even better, I am totally drinking that Kool aid!!

I also personally wouldn't buy a car based on potential depreciation/value loss, I have never done so and never will. View all my cars including GT3 as depreciating assets to be enjoyed, whatever the market value is of the car when I am ready to move on so be it
Old 06-27-2018, 12:42 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 939 Likes on 414 Posts

Personally, having driven both the Touring and the R, I would say this:

At both MSRP, hands down and without a doubt, the 911R gets my vote.

At MSRP + 75K for the R vs MSRP for Touring, I would still buy the 911R.

Anything above 75K for the R vs MSRP for Touring, I would go with the Touring because the pricing is just stupid.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:04 PM
carrerafanboy
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
If this GT Silver 911R had buckets in Tarpan and SMFW, I would buy it immediately in lieu of Touring.

Strongly considering radio delete for my Touring build but don't know if I'll have the courage. At least the warts are coming painted in body color on Tourings (even PTS I believe). Also, the location is less offensive. I hear that black warts were a mistake on the non-Tourings that they never bothered to correct after the start of production.
Where are the warts on the GT3 Touring? From photos, I don't see the satellite antenna on the rear... Is it just the headlight washer covers?
Old 06-27-2018, 01:51 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

^^^^Most don't have the warts because they only exist in the US and a handful of other countries.

Unotaz, would you buy this GT Silver R without SMFW for +$50k over-and-above Touring?

Old 06-27-2018, 02:18 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
If I knew that I could get called every month to subscribe to SiriusXM (along with the roof wart), I would have gotten radio delete. Go freaking annoying and I even told them to not call me again because I'm not interested but they can't seem to listen.
Haha that's the best reason to get radio delete. I thought backup camera was a law for new cars sold in the US... But this must not be in effect yet because I see people buying them without radios still.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:26 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Didn't this car have red stripes?
Old 06-27-2018, 02:28 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 269 Posts

^law went into effect May 2018. As long as the car was produced prior to May, you can get it. So cars can still be delivered after May with no radio/backup camera.

Mine was produced in April and delivered last week in May.

ive been driving around now almost a month with no radio and I’m still alive. Second best option on my car after PTS
Old 06-27-2018, 02:51 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

^^^^Well I guess that I'll chalk this up as a dealer oversight. My build isn't until November but was only recently told, as a matter of fact, that Radio Delete was still available.

Wow. In addition to cleaner look, no wart, faster lap times lol and no regular harassment by Sirius XM... It must also be so nice to have a place to put crap like your phone, Enjoy!
Old 06-27-2018, 02:56 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
^^^^Well I guess that I'll chalk this up as a dealer oversight. My build isn't until November but was only recently told, as a matter of fact, that Radio Delete was still available.

Wow. In addition to cleaner look, no wart, faster lap times lol and no regular harassment by Sirius XM... It must also be so nice to have a place to put crap like your phone, Enjoy!
Colloquially referred to as the sandwich holder I believe

Quick Reply: Do you guys think this R is a good deal?