Sponsored by:

Would you get new GT3 without PCCB?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 05:15 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,391 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by whatif
A lot of people like the brake pedal feel / modulation better with the irons.

Irons can be upgraded to CCB at any time if needed.

Buying a used car with CCB is a bad idea since it’s not easy to know when they will need to be replaced.

I had CCB on my GT3 — they looked cool but no advantage in braking performance. Ordered new RS with irons.

Basically CCBs are like bling for your car. If you care about the look and impressing people at cars and coffee, then go for it. Purely from a rational perspective, they don’t make sense.
The entire car doesn't make sense from a rational perspective, so what is your point? If you like 'em (for whatever reason) get 'em.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:26 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

If ordering/configuring a car PCCB is a must for me as well. If looking at a pre-owned car, if everything else is what I want - I wouldn't rule out a car for *not* having PCCB. But for my personal use/style of driving, if I have a choice I will go PCCB.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:27 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

PCCB's 9200$ for option
With street and light track usage 2-3X year the PCCB's should last approximately 100k Miles. The real question is with same usage with irons how many times will irons be changed in the 100k mile period. How much will it cost for iron brake jobs. If you plan on keeping car for a while the PCCB's are actually cost effective over the irons.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:40 PM
whatif
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
The entire car doesn't make sense from a rational perspective, so what is your point? If you like 'em (for whatever reason) get 'em.
My points were exactly what I wrote. Couldn't be any more clear. Never said to get them or not.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:55 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,739 Likes on 5,126 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Understood.

ST refurb 5x is TBD, I'm not there yet but should only be a few weekends away of doing the first one.
My thoughts on PCCB or no PCCB would be; If I got a car with PCCB, I pay $9200, sell the rotors for about that money, maybe more?
The new replacement PCCB rotors are about $25K, so maybe they bring $13K in order to buy the ST rotors and you get yellow calipers.

If they bring more straight off the car, then why not?
Curious what they go for now straight off the car. The last time I sold new ones, I got $10K on my 997RS.

If you want to sell the car eventually with new PCCB rotors, then keep them on the shelve but I wouldn't care about that personally.

Only for street use, this all doesn't matter, the PCCB will last forever.
I do actually like the steel brake feel a little better because its too hard to get the rotors up to ideal temp.
But maybe the suspension and steering feel is just that little bit nicer with PCCB..
From talking to a couple of people with the Surface Transforms, the modulation (or is it brake feel?) is not the same as the PCCBs.

Just ftom personsl experience having driven nearly identical 1.1 GT3s back to back, same day and same hour, and same track, I can feel the difference between irons and ceramics. It’s not just the decrease in unsprung weight but the fade resistance is really confidence inspiring.

But again that’s just me and I’m sure someone who’s a better driver will have a different opinion.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:17 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Get irons and upgrade to Surface Transforms.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:24 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
PCCB's 9200$ for option
With street and light track usage 2-3X year the PCCB's should last approximately 100k Miles. The real question is with same usage with irons how many times will irons be changed in the 100k mile period. How much will it cost for iron brake jobs. If you plan on keeping car for a while the PCCB's are actually cost effective over the irons.
The steel rotors would also last forever me thinks.
I got 16 hard track days on front rotors and about triple that on the rears. Roughly I think the ST rotors need refurbishing at the same intervals.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

From talking to a couple of people with the Surface Transforms, the modulation (or is it brake feel?) is not the same as the PCCBs.

Just ftom personsl experience having driven nearly identical 1.1 GT3s back to back, same day and same hour, and same track, I can feel the difference between irons and ceramics. It’s not just the decrease in unsprung weight but the fade resistance is really confidence inspiring.

But again that’s just me and I’m sure someone who’s a better driver will have a different opinion.
From what I could tell not hammering too hard on someone else's car with PCCB, the ST is a bit more to my liking then PCCB, less wooden.
Pad choice of course also comes into play and is again very personal in terms of preference.

But the difference is such that anyone will calibrate quick enough to any of them where it's a non-issue to me either way.

Originally Posted by drdonger
Get irons and upgrade to Surface Transforms.
Unless you can sell your PCCB rotors straight off the car for more then $9200!
Old 05-21-2018, 07:20 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

A lot of people like the brake pedal feel / modulation better with the irons.

Not people who have driven the new PCCBs on track. The feel over a 30 (or even 60 min) session is insanely consistent. None of the progressive fade you get with even the best irons.
Irons can be upgraded to CCB at any time if needed.
True.
Buying a used car with CCB is a bad idea since it’s not easy to know when they will need to be replaced.
Not true - very easy to check at any dealer.
I had CCB on my GT3 — they looked cool but no advantage in braking performance. Ordered new RS with irons.
Basically CCBs are like bling for your car. If you care about the look and impressing people at cars and coffee, then go for it. Purely from a rational perspective, they don’t make sense.
Now that's funny - thank god the $100k extra for the RS comes without any bling!
Old 05-21-2018, 09:03 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

I spec’d iron, then spent similar money as PCCB option upgrading to the AP Racing caliper plus AP Racing iron rotor kit. It’s within a pound of the PCCBs weight at each corner, and should make pad changes a breeze.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:06 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
One of the biggest advantages of PCCBs is that you don't have to swap pads for the track and they don't squeal on the street. This may be possible to replicate by using the PCCB pads with steels as mentioned above, but I don't know if this is possible. Swapping pads with this horrible caliper design is a major PITA.
Bu77$h!t.

mine are loud as hell.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:04 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,391 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by 8enny8lack

Bu77$h!t.

mine are loud as hell.
I’m curious if this is a result of bedding them in or not bedding them in. Is it recommended to bed PCCB brakes in regardless of tracking heavy or not at all? Would it result in squeaking if you do/don’t bed them in?
Old 05-21-2018, 11:18 PM
whatif
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex

Now that's funny - thank god the $100k extra for the RS comes without any bling!
What $100K are you referring to though?
Old 05-21-2018, 11:21 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,190 Likes on 473 Posts

Didn’t AP himself already settle this debate? He clearly stated at this cars release that PCCBs are the choice for street driving, steels for tracking.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:27 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Interesting thread. Surprise that so many people ordered/want ceramics. I bet you 5 years ago was way different

But both Reds and Yellows squeak. Maybe Ceramics slightly less.

I do prefer Ceramics but would never be a deal breaker on a secondary car
Old 05-21-2018, 11:30 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,739 Likes on 5,126 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Interesting thread. Surprise that so many people ordered/want ceramics. I bet you 5 years ago was way different

But both Reds and Yellows squeak. Maybe Ceramics slightly less.

I do prefer Ceramics but would never be a deal breaker on a secondary car
That's because the Gen III PCCBs are much improved over the Gen II (which most people here still cling to as a reference point for the "should I get PCCBs if I track my car" question)

Quick Reply: Would you get new GT3 without PCCB?