Sponsored by:

991.1 Finger follower progress

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 05:07 AM
s4corrado996tt
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Wesley Cheia
Hi All.. first time commenting on Rennlist and first time GT3 owner.
Took the plunge after many years of drooling outside the dealerships at them.
BUT... and there’s a big but. Bought the car at a slight discount because it had the check engine light on. Engine had a ticking noise at idle. Dealer told me it was minor and Informed me of the 10 year engine warranty that PAG offered...
long story short, Porsche won’t honor the 10 year warranty. They won’t give me a reason either since the history of the vehicle is confidential. 2015 991.1 and has 20,000 Kms on the clock. I’ve been stuck for over 2 months with no options left and my dream car that I can’t drive. So happy to see that there is options from what I’ve read here. Not sure of the cost but I hope it’s gonna save these amazing machines from becoming garage ornaments in a few years. This is a car I want to grow old with. It’s my poster car 😍

Please share your long story! Thx!
Old 12-15-2020, 09:44 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please, let's hear the whole story. There are a bunch of great resources on this forum with knowledge of the finger follower issue. It isn't a hidden problem, and I have yet to hear a story where Porsche denied the 10 y warranty
Old 12-16-2020, 01:10 AM
Wesley Cheia
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, I replied a few days ago but some how its not here.

To try answer all questions above and give the long story.

PURCHASE: Was not from a Porsche dealer. Porsche dont offer great trade values on preowned Porsches and more often then not owners take them to dealers like the one I purchased from. The majority of cars they have are Porsche and they have been around for many years.

MOTHERSHIP: has not been contacted and we were only denied by the Local dealer, Porsche Center Johannesburg. My mechanic who is helping me worked for Porsche and is now planning on contacting Porsche Middle East (they responsible for our region).

When I contacted Porsche locally prior to purchase, they would not look at the vehicle until it was in my name. They told me in order to have the car booked in, I needed to do a change of ownership. I purchased the GT3 in order to give them the NATIS documents which was the main requirement for the change of ownership on the warranty. Few days after, they contacted me and said they would not be honoring the warranty (without even looking at the vehicle) and would still not disclose the vehicles history to me. This is as far as I’ve gotten with them.

ENGINE ISSUE: The ticking starts above 60*c and is a constant, rather loud, sound. It’s coming from the right side of the motor. Check engine light displays “Engine control fault”. Car runs fine and only once the engine is up to temp do I you start hearing it. Engine runs smoothly, its just the very annoying ticking sound. The car is in amazing condition.

I am running out of options and its great knowing that there is alternatives. All I want is to save this amazing car from being an organ donor and to eventually be able to enjoy it myself. It’s been my dream car and a very frustrating and disheartening set of circumstances surrounding it.

Hope this answers some of your questions.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:21 AM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 725 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Wesley Cheia
Sorry, I replied a few days ago but some how its not here.

To try answer all questions above and give the long story.

PURCHASE: Was not from a Porsche dealer. Porsche dont offer great trade values on preowned Porsches and more often then not owners take them to dealers like the one I purchased from. The majority of cars they have are Porsche and they have been around for many years.

MOTHERSHIP: has not been contacted and we were only denied by the Local dealer, Porsche Center Johannesburg. My mechanic who is helping me worked for Porsche and is now planning on contacting Porsche Middle East (they responsible for our region).

When I contacted Porsche locally prior to purchase, they would not look at the vehicle until it was in my name. They told me in order to have the car booked in, I needed to do a change of ownership. I purchased the GT3 in order to give them the NATIS documents which was the main requirement for the change of ownership on the warranty. Few days after, they contacted me and said they would not be honoring the warranty (without even looking at the vehicle) and would still not disclose the vehicles history to me. This is as far as I’ve gotten with them.

ENGINE ISSUE: The ticking starts above 60*c and is a constant, rather loud, sound. It’s coming from the right side of the motor. Check engine light displays “Engine control fault”. Car runs fine and only once the engine is up to temp do I you start hearing it. Engine runs smoothly, its just the very annoying ticking sound. The car is in amazing condition.

I am running out of options and its great knowing that there is alternatives. All I want is to save this amazing car from being an organ donor and to eventually be able to enjoy it myself. It’s been my dream car and a very frustrating and disheartening set of circumstances surrounding it.

Hope this answers some of your questions.
Keep escalating it, you will get resoution. PAG isn't going to care about regional ownership nuances.
The following users liked this post:
robmypro (12-16-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 08:48 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by itrsteve
Keep escalating it, you will get resoution. PAG isn't going to care about regional ownership nuances.
Exactly. Keep escalating this issue. Ultimately PAG will cover the engine. Also, make sure PAG is aware of all your communication with your local dealer.

Good luck!
Old 12-16-2020, 09:19 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 342 Posts

Is there a possibility the previous owner modified the motor (tune?) in some way that PAG refused to honor motor warranty to that owner when it started to fail. That owner dumps the car to an independent to resell who plays stupid regarding the ticking sound and engine codes. Just sayin.

It seems strange that you can't get the car's history.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:00 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,740 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
Is there a possibility the previous owner modified the motor (tune?) in some way that PAG refused to honor motor warranty to that owner when it started to fail. That owner dumps the car to an independent to resell who plays stupid regarding the ticking sound and engine codes. Just sayin.

This was my first thought.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:09 PM
Mthrice
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 75 Posts

That’s why I mentioned going after the seller. He did get the car at a “slight discount” which he failed to define.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:30 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Yeah that is a possibility. But you would think the dealer would tell them exactly why the warranty was denied.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:03 AM
BergGt3
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

Get the service and warranty sheet for the car. If it was modified before and noted by the dealer there will be a small “t” near the top. This means technical modification and your warranty is voided on the vin. This happens if you modify the car.

Last edited by BergGt3; 12-19-2020 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:28 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 342 Posts

There may also be a small "f" after the "t" for F-ed!

The last time I heard a ticking sound like that when the car was warm was right before the rod in #6 went thru the case in my old 996!

Last edited by RDCR; 12-19-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-19-2020, 05:10 PM
BergGt3
Rennlist Member

There may also be a small "f" after the "t" for F-ed!

The last time I heard a ticking sound like that when the car was warm was right before the rod in #6 went thru the case in my old 996!

lol

This happened to me but I was “lucky”. They did the repair after 4 months but then marked the vin with the technical modification giving me no more warranty. It doesn’t technically void it but it gives porsche the legal out if they don’t want to cover something.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:19 AM
CWS
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BergGt3
lol

This happened to me but I was “lucky”. They did the repair after 4 months but then marked the vin with the technical modification giving me no more warranty. It doesn’t technically void it but it gives porsche the legal out if they don’t want to cover something.
Backstory on being "lucky"?
Old 12-21-2020, 12:27 PM
BergGt3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CWS
Backstory on being "lucky"?

the agate Gt3 I had a few years ago I put on a full exhaust, cats to center muffler. I had to give dealer the original exhaust back as It ended up sitting for months waiting for approval of a new engine at the Langley Canada dealer.

eventually they gave me a new engine.

when I was reviewing all the paperwork for it I noticed a small “T” which looked out of place.

That dealer claimed it meant since I had a claim it just tells them to double check.

However after contacting the US dealer they said that means “technical modification” and meant your car was noted as modified which carries with the vin and essentially your warranty work won’t get approved.

I traded it in to the Porsche dealer for another GT3 top spec white one..... that one was perfect. Miss that car!

Old 12-21-2020, 01:41 PM
CWS
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BergGt3
the agate Gt3 I had a few years ago I put on a full exhaust, cats to center muffler. I had to give dealer the original exhaust back as It ended up sitting for months waiting for approval of a new engine at the Langley Canada dealer.

eventually they gave me a new engine.

when I was reviewing all the paperwork for it I noticed a small “T” which looked out of place.

That dealer claimed it meant since I had a claim it just tells them to double check.

However after contacting the US dealer they said that means “technical modification” and meant your car was noted as modified which carries with the vin and essentially your warranty work won’t get approved.

I traded it in to the Porsche dealer for another GT3 top spec white one..... that one was perfect. Miss that car!

@BergGt3 Great intel and information in this thread on what to look for! For owners, looking for a "T" on documentation is a great way to understand how dealers indentify modified vehicle history.

Quick Reply: 991.1 Finger follower progress