Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should I Trade GT3rs (2k miles)+$40k for New Touring?
Yes
26.77%
No
73.23%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Should I trade my GT3RS in for GT3 touring?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 02:37 PM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by willyb87
lol yes, thats exactly what they're offering. Well not 50-60, but 30-40k. I just had no idea what the market is for these tourings and really love them. Thats why I came on here to ask. I honestly would probably trade the RS for it straight up but Im not paying them 40k. My RS sticker is higher than the touring sticker and very low miles. Bad deal. Maybe Ill sell the RS privately in a year or so when it rebounds and pick up a touring... thanks for your input!
They’re also pocketing $10-20k on the RS trade in. Combine all that, $50-$60K is basically what they are pocketing in exchange for swapping their Touring for your RS, and that’s not considering the margin they already make from selling a car at MSRP.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:44 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys, thats what I figured.. I wouldn't say Id be getting "screwed" in this deal but it certainly isn't good. I just was not familiar at all with what the tourings are going for. All I saw was 1 on eBay asking 40k over so I figured that was about the market for them. Also, I don't see the GT3RS's going much lower than sticker any time in the near future. I think they will come back up especially low miles like mine. Definitely not doing this deal, but frigggin LOVE the touring!
40k for the Touring is on the high end but probably not that far off from the going market price of $25-30. So you're not necessarily getting screwed on the Touring deal. And the RS trade value is probably 20-30k too low, so again, not getting too screwed when looking at that deal in isolation. But taking it on both ends...yeah, i would put that in the getting screwed category.

Heck, I would probably trade my Touring straight up with a nice RS if someone came to me with that offer.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:50 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 784 Likes on 569 Posts

Agree Touring hysteria will die down long term........holding value? who knows, but it will be a rarer build which usually indicates it will hold a bit better in P-Car world, maybe $5-10K better in 5 years plus....but better holding than a PDK wing, especially noting a one year model build?.....time will tell........but all GT3 991.2 should hold well and drive even better!
Old 05-17-2018, 05:22 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 591 Posts

F- no on that deal. Now if you want a manual, wingless car, you can certainly do that. I'd prefer an RS to a Touring (equal $$) but that's me and not you.

On the deal itself, you are selling your highly desirable RS for wholesale and paying retail marked up to the max for a T. Within the same transaction. I think you can do far better.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:00 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

You're paying 964 RS money for a modern parts bin car. Sure the 964 RS will be a high mileage example, but it's a 964 RS.
​​​​​​
Old 05-17-2018, 09:09 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
You're paying 964 RS money for a modern parts bin car. Sure the 964 RS will be a high mileage example, but it's a 964 RS.
​​​​​​
Or 430 Scud money, or 997 RS money. Newer cars are produced in greater numbers and won't be as valuable. The big wing on the RS helps w/ visibility.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:45 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 216 Posts

Please don’t do that deal. I’m sick and tired of people paying premiums on cars and getting screwed on trade ins. The dealer wins every time and you screw it up for future buyers because you set a precedent.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:24 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

I have a 2016 GT3RS that I paid like 230 for. I like it but I really miss stick and love the GT3 touring. I am getting sick of the big spoiler on the RS and the uncomfortable bucket seats.. My dealer just got a chalk touring spec'd beautifully the sticker is 175k, It looks like they're going for around 40-50k over sticker... They want my car and 35k effectively valuing my RS at 180k which I think they'll sell for 199. It Doesn't look like the RS is going for anymore than 200. Do you guys know how many tourings will be made? Do you think it'll hold its value? Is this a bad deal in what appears to be the lowest ever market for the GT3RS. I love the touring but I still don't want to feel like I'm getting a bad deal... I am not the porsche appraiser that I think many of you are! thanks
Pricing aside, I understand your point of view. I have a 3RS and touring arriving on the same day. I am more excited for the touring due to the manual and more classy look.

I have never owned a 3RS though. I think the 2RS has overshadowed the 3RS for me. Screaming at 9k RPM might change that.

Of you have your heart set on a touring and want to minimise the financial hit,. sell your RS for top dollar then find a touring.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:47 AM
Jzips
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Why not just sell your RS for market. List it here. Then take the cash and go buy whatever you want, touring or something else. Otherwise, in effect you’re paying the dealer for taking your rare and desirable car.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:26 AM
Akunob
Race Car

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

"I really miss stick and love the GT3 touring. I am getting sick of the big spoiler on the RS and the uncomfortable bucket seats." Sounds like you've lost some love for your RS and really want a Touring. At the current offer, no way...however if that is merely their opening offer, counter with something like RS+ $10K. There's a deal to be done here unless the dealer is simply too greedy!
Old 05-18-2018, 11:34 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

Dealers generally need to re-sell your trade in at $20 to $25k over on GT3 cars from my limited personal trade-in experience. Double that and your dealer offer is even 15% over that! Some profit is reasonable, your dealer seems like he is giving you a shake down.

Fill out your profile with location - are you in the USA. If you are and prefer canyon carving to track time then the Touring with the 9000 RPM is your bag, BUT it really depends on how you'll use it. The bulk of your post is financial, so to respond to that IMHO the Touring is your target.
It has a broader appeal than the 991.2 GT3RS and is the only way to get a NA 911 engine for 2018 sans wing. My gut feeling (without data) has the impression that the Touring quantities will be very small compared to 991.1 GT3RS numbers and as the final refinement before 992 the Touring could mark the peak of an era before Porsche changes tack.

Pass on the Touring now and you'll regret it. As far as waiting for pricing to settle down, look at the 911R
Don't like the Touring and want to get back into a 991.1 GT3RS? There are dozens on the market
Old 05-18-2018, 11:46 AM
BlueGT3
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 56 Posts

wait for production to cease and pick one up secondary, and keep the RS
Old 05-18-2018, 11:52 AM
willyb87
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for all the great feedback... glad I did some research to find the true value of these Tourings right now. I just had no idea. Love my Porsches but haven't been monitoring the market prices. Just had my dealer hit me up yesterday because he knows Ive been asking about that touring. But yea after some research the dealer would be giving it to me on both sides of the deal. I do however like the feasibility and ease of a dealer trade-in as oppose to a private sale though. After tax savings and headaches its worth the $5-10k to me.. But not at these numbers. Thanks!!
Old 05-18-2018, 04:56 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
You could likely get a far better deal on a real GT3 with manual transmission and sofa seats.
Or the touring package option at another dealer, private party, etc.
Your "deal" sounds like you are taking it in both ends.
x2

No shame in wanting to move to a newer car for whatever reason (especially if you think MT is more enjoyable for you), but I would explore finding a GT3 with MT + sofas vs. the Touring pack and either negotiate the ADM down or obviously net more for your 3RS trade-in. You'll likely save some money because market will have a slight premium on the "rarer" Touring pack option (I choose to believe it just wasn't selected as much as people thought it would be) - plus you'll miss the wing!!

Also more GT3s are being built this year, so more will be trickling in (there are already quite a few with delivery miles for sale on AutoTrader etc)
Old 05-18-2018, 07:37 PM
bobbyd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not, sure what the market is for a Touring but here is my take, like it or not:

Touring cars will never be plentiful, most buyers don't "get it" and thus only a small minority of all 991.2 GT3's will ever be Tourings. My guess is double the number of R's when all said and done, maybe less.

The 991.1 RS was overbuilt and the car will continue to depreciate as the new RS rolls out. Both versions will be plentiful but the .1 version will lose more value over the next few years - it's nowhere near the bottom.

The motor issue of all 991.1's will negatively impact their desirability compared to any .2 moving forward. The new 4.0 motor is a huge step up, including over the motor of the .1 RS.

All dealers need a small margin on each car, say 10%. I think you can close the gap a little bit on this particular deal but not much.

Just My 2 cents, and probably worth less.....

Best.

Quick Reply: Should I trade my GT3RS in for GT3 touring?