Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 or Huracan

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 11:00 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

I can’t speak to what it’s like in NZ but in the US obtaining an allocation for a GT3 is difficult. You don’t walk in and order one unless your willing to pay a ADM.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:38 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I traded my 991.1 GT3 for a Huracan, realized I made a huge mistake, and got rid of the Huracan for a 991.2 GT3. The Huracan, as much as I love the looks and sound (with an aftermarket exhaust), just isn't a fun car to drive in non-Performante trim. It was flat out boring, and stirred up zero emotions. The GT3 may not be as fast in a straight line, but it's a much more fun car to drive, and I'd take it any day of the week. The interior materials in my Huracan were also sub-par and really detracted from my enjoyment of the car. The Porsches are much better there, too.

I'm going to try a Performante next week, and I may consider it as an addition to the GT3, but most certainly not as a replacement. The GT3 is a much more special car.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:53 PM
Boba Fett
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Id prefer the GT3 unless it was a performante...
Old 05-13-2018, 01:55 PM
Boba Fett
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Now go to the Lambo forum and ask there.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:01 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

I have driven both extensively. If track performance is an issue the GT3 is hands down a better car. The Performante would be a consideration but the steering is still a bit numb and the four wheel drive takes another but a feel as well. The Huracan has one of the best engines, I truly love the V10 and the car has been quite reliable even with heavy tracl punishment, I wouldn't worry about the the new Lambo Audi have helped out tremendously. that being said no company is putting out cars that can withstand punishment like Porsche. I could not get over the froint end push, understeer in the Huracan yes with the 2 wheel drive you can overcome it with the throttle but it still pushing like a pig and the GT3 is just perfect. Of course if Track is not your preference then either car is really stupendous. Again the V10 engine is fantastic and really one of the best engines out there. The new .2 GT3 engone is also in a league of its own so can't go wrong. Also the Huracan has virtually no room for luggage less than Ferraris so be warned. Still very cool cars so can't go wrong
Old 05-13-2018, 03:16 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Id prefer the GT3 unless it was a performante...
Yeh the new Performante gett the blood pumping but for another $120,000 hard to justify iver a .2
Old 05-13-2018, 03:18 PM
BlueGT3
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 55 Posts

GT3. Love the Huracan but I think it would get old after a month. The GT3 just clicks so many boxes, is a far more driver's car, and last but certainly not least under the radar enough for me to enjoy.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:19 PM
SeriouslySuspect
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too would pick a Performante, but I refuse to spend half a million NZD on a car!

There seem to be very mixed opinions regarding the interior quality of the two cars. This strikes me as odd as surely interior quality is something that is objective, not subjective. What are your thoughts on this?
Old 05-13-2018, 04:37 PM
Thinker23
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 43 Posts

Considered both, test drove both. GT3 feels a lot more exciting and connected.
The following users liked this post:
twospyders (10-19-2019)
Old 05-13-2018, 06:26 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by SeriouslySuspect
Thanks so much for your advice guys, I really really do appreciate it.

Obviously coming from older Japanese cars, I don't understand how this allocation thing works. Is it not as simple as me walking into my local Porsche dealership, telling them I want a .2 GT3, speccing one with them, then giving them my wallet?

Is it even possible for me to get one, or am I too late?
Well, if it's anything like the US.....

I was going to say between the Huracan and GT3. If you are going with what is easier to get, go Lambo. For the better car, GT3 every day and twice on Sundays...
twospyders (10-19-2019)
Old 05-13-2018, 07:21 PM
Einmalig
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 70 Posts

The GT3 and the Huracan are as similar as chalk and cheese.

The one thing they have in common is that both are VW Group products which ensures a level of engineering quality and a service life not duplicated by many other Brands. Since you want to be able to use the car as a daily driver, I would first suggest a drive in a Huracan to determine if you like the awd, ride quality, seating position, visibility, etc. if you are happy with the car’s attributes and the attention it creates, just buy it. Owning a Lamborghini can be a special experience and every drive will have a sense of occasion for you. In addition, that leaves one more GT3 for somebody not wanting a Huracan.

If not, do what I did and get yourself a 991.2 GT3 with a manual. By the way, no need for a test drive, it’s a GT3.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:31 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Check first if you can get a new 991.2 GT3. It is moot to decide for GT3 but you cannot get one.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:15 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You didn't specify the street/track split you expect to comprise your usage or the relative importance of each, but I can give you my 2 cents on the relative track merits of the two cars. I've driven a couple different 991.1 GT3s and 3-4 Huracans on track often and somewhat extensively the past 18 months. Being .1 cars, the GT3s were PDK cars, so my comparison is auto to auto. None of them were my cars, so no, I'm not a high roller with multiple copies of the same car.

Bottom line: The GT3 is a more visceral car with better handling, sharper reflexes, more linear throttle response, more precision at the limit and has a feeling of relative lightness compared to the Huracan.

The Huracan is more explosive in a straight line and that's about the only area where I'd give it a slight edge over the GT3. When you roll to WOT in the Huracan coming onto a long straight you get the sensation of a very powerful engine awakening to overcome the weight of a heavy car. In comparison, the GT3 throttle response is instantaneous and linear. So I wouldn't even pick the Huracan for straight line fun, but others might prefer the outright explosiveness of it.

The Huracan is a very tough fit for tall people, particularly if you have a tall torso. It also attracts gobs of attention with Joe Public drooling all over it at every encounter. That's a negative in my book, but some people like the fanfare.

Both cars are fairly robust under heavy track usage, but the .1 GT3 has shown less engine reliability - shocking but true for my small sample set. I'm very confident the .2 GT3 will have a bulletproof engine, so that shouldn't be a factor for the model you are considering.

Overall, they're two very different cars. The Huracan is an explosive grand tourer with exotic looks inside and out, Italian ergonomics (good and bad) and is a real attention magnet. The GT3 can blend into the scenery, somewhat Spartan looking, but is razor sharp, has quick reflexes and "feelsome" driving dynamics with very good track capability. If you want a car for 95 street and 5% track, I could see someone picking either car, depending on personal tastes and preferences. If track dynamics have a significant weighting factor in your book, the GT3 all the way. I'd pick the GT3 hands down for street or track or any combination of the two,
Old 05-13-2018, 10:54 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You aren't likely to get an allocation for the GT3 and should settle for the Huracan if that is the case. I don't believe that multiple Taiwanese students are rich enough to buy Lamborghinis in NZ. You shouldn't use a straw man argument and make such racist comments.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:51 AM
Howydo
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Currently have both a Performante and a 991.2 GT3 (PDK). Wow ! Tough choice. I love both cars so much . The Performante is faster , more of an experience and even better on the track. However, I don’t really feel right pushing my 350k Performante on the track. It feels more delicate and fragile. Sure the Lamborghini gets more attention (if that’s your thing) and looks and sounds better. But , somehow I just keep going back to the GT3. My friends think I’m crazy but the GT3 is just such a great great car.

I think ultimately it comes down to how you’re going to use the car. Cars and coffee, weekend cruising, car shows and occasional tracking I’d say Performante all day long, however, if you really want to drive the car, track the car, not be afraid to hurt the car, have superior fit and finish, engineering, drive to work, attract less attention , better electronics then I’d say 991.2 GT3 all the way.

By the way I’ve owned a 2015 Huracan in the past and it was fun but not even close to the Performante. If given a choice between a regular Huracan or a 991.2 GT3 I personally would go with the GT3.

Goodluck
twospyders (10-19-2019)

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 or Huracan