Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protective Film + Ceramic Pro (Look & Experience)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018 | 08:44 PM
dre13
Advanced

Default Protective Film + Ceramic Pro (Look & Experience)

Hi All,

Scheduled to have clear bra installed on all front panels + hood (not a-pillars, doors, roof, back panels, etc).....and ceramic pro on all body panels, lamps, glass and wheels.

Has anyone had experience doing this? I understand the film may lose some luster after a few years (im ok with that, ill just redo), and that the ceramic coating will increase its lifespan.

That said, I'm curious/concerned about two things:

1. Even though the film is being tucked under all panels front panels/hood, and aging of the film aside, will you be able to see a difference in finish between the film protected and non-film protected parts of the car? Assume there are no points where the film ends on a visible part of a body panel.
2. I've read that it's advised to apply the ceramic coating *after* installing the protective film - but as i've never done these two together - just want to be sure im not missing anything.

Any guidance/advice from people with experience?

Appreciate the help.
Old 05-10-2018 | 09:05 PM
PorscheFrank
Racer

I had my 991.2 GT silver GTS wrapped with xpel and two coats of cquartz finest reserve. I wrapped everything except the door and rear bumper. No way tell which parts were wrapped and which weren't. Also definitely do ceramic coating on top of the wrap. It makes no sense to apply the coating under the wrap.
This was my first experience with paint protection film and I was very happy. Happier than I would have expected. It gives you some comfort when you are even washing the car that you really won't be introducing swirls into the paint. The absolute most important thing is finding a good installer. Look at their work if you can. It makes all the difference. It's worth paying double to make sure the job is done by someone who really knows what they are doing.
You might consider doing a full wrap. I'm planning to do that on my .2 GT3. I get that it is more expensive but I think the peace of mind is worth it. Especially that big back fender piece. Let me know if you have other questions.

Old 05-10-2018 | 09:11 PM
dre13
Advanced

you're the man frank. appreciate the insight and uploads.
Old 05-10-2018 | 09:13 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Agree with most folks, put ceramic coating on top of the PPF. That said, when doing PPF on my 991.2 TTS, the installer was nervous about the issues with PPF delaminating the head lights when removed, so he put down two coats of ceramic coating before applying the PPF on the head lamps. The thought being that the ceramic coating would be a barrier between the head lamp and the PPF adhesive.

He he did have to redo a head lamp the next day and he no issue with the PPF delaminating the top
layer of the head lamp, but I haven’t put this to a long term test.

Anyway, food for thought.
Old 05-10-2018 | 10:31 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Front bumper areas are not tucked in and will still be able to see the edges. Pita when dirt gets in but in the end the benefits outweigh any negative.
Old 05-10-2018 | 10:59 PM
dre13
Advanced

Originally Posted by Psup4s
Front bumper areas are not tucked in and will still be able to see the edges. Pita when dirt gets in but in the end the benefits outweigh any negative.
psup4s,

can you elaborate? how visible?

certainly still worth it, and more concerned about being able to tell a panel is wrapped vs not from a safe distance...but curious how blatant exposed edges are.
Old 05-10-2018 | 11:09 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dre13
psup4s,

can you elaborate? how visible?

certainly still worth it, and more concerned about being able to tell a panel is wrapped vs not from a safe distance...but curious how blatant exposed edges are.
If you wash your car yourself you see them easily but to most people they are basically invisible. A good installer would make it seamless imo
Old 05-10-2018 | 11:13 PM
dre13
Advanced

Originally Posted by Psup4s
If you wash your car yourself you see them easily but to most people they are basically invisible. A good installer would make it seamless imo
thanks
Old 05-11-2018 | 07:39 AM
italiafan
Instructor

Question...do you put the ceramic coating on the windows too?
thx
Old 05-11-2018 | 07:57 AM
ChoyV
Racer

Best aftermarket expenses I’ve done on any of my car. Did PPF on full front and rocker arms plus ceramic coating on my 991.1 GTS. It was done by Esoteric and planning to do the same on my 991.2 GT3T, when it arrives.
Old 05-15-2018 | 07:08 PM
StrictlyGT3
Track Day

You need to do the rocker panels as well. The factory stone guards are not big enough.
Old 05-16-2018 | 02:32 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

all film gets old
dirt gets on the edge, even if you tucked them
they do not last forever, if u drive your car, film are to be replaced periodically

i think there's major confusion on nano coating.
it sheds water,
makes washing faster
but it's like a "clear coat" on paint. you CAN SCRATCH IT. you CAN SWIRL IT.
and it not easy to fix the scratch on nano coatings. you basically have to polish it off and re-do.

i coat my DD. bc i need it clean fast and some swirls dont bother me on dd
on my GT cars, no coating, always old school wax. yes it takes a long time to do it. but i dont see many cars with the wet look i have.

nano coat (ceramic pro, PPE, whatever fancy name ...) is good stuff, but it doesn't do magic.. dont let your detailer smoke you. buy it for the right reason
Old 05-16-2018 | 02:41 AM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Mooty’s post is accurate. Coating is for chemical protection and maintainenance ease. You can replicate the effects of a professional ceramic coat if you were willing to apply paint sealant to your car every few weeks.

PPF is for physical protection. Unfortunately the 911 PPF templates are one of the worse ones I’ve seen...a lot of explosed edges and even a nasty join on the rear of you wrap there. It’s far more noticeable on lighter colors as the edges build up dirt.

Old 05-16-2018 | 02:03 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Just make sure installer doesn't use a template. Request they use bulk and do a custom wrap.
Old 05-16-2018 | 02:12 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mooty
all film gets old
dirt gets on the edge, even if you tucked them
they do not last forever, if u drive your car, film are to be replaced periodically

i think there's major confusion on nano coating.
it sheds water,
makes washing faster
but it's like a "clear coat" on paint. you CAN SCRATCH IT. you CAN SWIRL IT.
and it not easy to fix the scratch on nano coatings. you basically have to polish it off and re-do.

i coat my DD. bc i need it clean fast and some swirls dont bother me on dd
on my GT cars, no coating, always old school wax. yes it takes a long time to do it. but i dont see many cars with the wet look i have.

nano coat (ceramic pro, PPE, whatever fancy name ...) is good stuff, but it doesn't do magic.. dont let your detailer smoke you. buy it for the right reason
Phil Yiu of Detailers Domain is a very well respected PPF installer. He is able to razor blade cut away the dirt lines as the years go by. Wrap will last at least 10 years using vehicle and longer is garaged. PPF can also be polished.

Quick Reply: Protective Film + Ceramic Pro (Look & Experience)