Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

.2RS Added Brake Cooling = trackable PCCBs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 09:53 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 75 Posts

Thanks for the input. I am trying to decide to option iron or PCCB on the next car. I have AP racing take offs from the GT3 which I would use for track if I went iron or I could sell them and go ST for little more than PCCB. With the ability to resurface once a year, that seems like the best option.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:19 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Love GR / gold! Such a special combo and comes as-is.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:13 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

The PCCBs make the GT3 a different car.
In my experience, straights are 10 - 15 meters longer before the brake zone initiation with PCCBs at speeds around 100 mph and lower.
Something to be keenly aware of when transitioning to steel rotors. Especially back to back sessions in GT3s with different brakes.
I don't have any experience with ST rotors.

First world dilemmas :-)

Have Fun!
Old 05-09-2018, 12:22 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by whatif
Are the OEM calipers identical between iron and PCCB (besides yellow paint)? Only difference being pads and rotors?
OEM calipers are same, except the body of the yellow calipers has a shape that acts similar to an integrated spacer which lets it work with the larger diameter rotors. It is not possible to use the smaller iron rotors with PCCB calipers for this reason, but you can add a spacer to the red calipers to work with larger rotors.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Thanks Grant
Old 05-09-2018, 01:52 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,027 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I went steel to ST.
Same calipers, Easy install, they did mine at the track in a couple hours.
What about brake pads...didn't you have to get different pads for the ST rotors vs. the steel rotors?
Old 05-09-2018, 01:55 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Not sure about having to change.
i love the RE10 for steel. Pagids were recommended by ST and the combo works crazy good, so I haven’t looked around, 12 track days so far.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:16 PM
whatif
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcipseric
The PCCBs make the GT3 a different car.
In my experience, straights are 10 - 15 meters longer before the brake zone initiation with PCCBs at speeds around 100 mph and lower.
Something to be keenly aware of when transitioning to steel rotors. Especially back to back sessions in GT3s with different brakes.
I don't have any experience with ST rotors.

First world dilemmas :-)

Have Fun!

It's interesting, but I don't know if there's any data to support that PCCBs stop better. In theory the stopping distances should be same for both brakes with the limiting factor being the tires. The iron brakes should be able to provide the same amount of brake torque, just less thermal efficiency. Is it possible that it's the mental factor of you thinking that you have better brakes with PCCBs being more confidence inspiring, so you're more comfortable going deeper into the braking zone?
Old 05-09-2018, 04:19 PM
whatif
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Never heard cracks matter..
Probably not for performance, just visually. But I guess it's still better than seeing rust on the irons.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:22 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

It's interesting, but I don't know if there's any data to support that PCCBs stop better. In theory the stopping distances should be same for both brakes with the limiting factor being the tires. The iron brakes should be able to provide the same amount of brake torque, just less thermal efficiency. Is it possible that it's the mental factor of you thinking that you have better brakes with PCCBs being more confidence inspiring, so you're more comfortable going deeper into the braking zone?
I think you forgot to account for unsprung weight. Faster acceleration, higher straight speeds, lower braking distance with less unsprung weight.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:25 PM
whatif
Rennlist Member

I think you forgot to account for unsprung weight. Faster acceleration, higher straight speeds, lower braking distance with less unsprung weight.
Pretty sure the weight is not significant enough to notice differences in acceleration or braking. Certainly not 10-15 meters worth. I would bet that it's the mental factor more than anything else
Old 05-09-2018, 04:33 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

1 lbs of unsprung weight is approximately 15.5 lbs of sprung weight. So if we reduce the unsprung weight by 10 lbs per corner = 40 lbs unsprung weight = 620 lbs lighter sprung weight. Much better performance.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:40 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Pretty sure the weight is not significant enough to notice differences in acceleration or braking. Certainly not 10-15 meters worth. I would bet that it's the mental factor more than anything else
I highly recommend going to the nearest Porsche Experience Center and see for yourself. You will learn lots and have a great time!
Old 05-09-2018, 04:42 PM
whatif
Rennlist Member

1 lbs of unsprung weight is approximately 18 lbs of sprung weight. So if we reduce the unsprung weight by 10 lbs per corner = 40 lbs unsprung weight = 720 lbs lighter sprung weight. Much better performance.
What are you basing that math on? How is 1lb = 18 lbs of sprung?

I don't have a PhD in physics, but that just doesn't sound right logically. The car weighs around 3100 lbs total. You're telling me that PCCB = 23% weight difference?

If that was the case the lap time difference between iron and PCCBs would be MASSIVE, but it's basically the same (maybe a tiny fraction slower).
Old 05-09-2018, 04:47 PM
whatif
Rennlist Member

I highly recommend going to the nearest Porsche Experience Center and see for yourself. You will learn lots and have a great time!
I've been to Atlanta -- drove a GT4 with PCCB. Definitely a great time. I also had a .2GT3 with PCCB. But now I'm not so sure about ordering them in the .2 RS since I want to do more track time with it.

Quick Reply: .2RS Added Brake Cooling = trackable PCCBs?