Sponsored by:

Rev Match on manual 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 01:42 AM
dbulker
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rev Match on manual 991.2 GT3

I just picked up my 991.2 GT3 and love it. I am a little surprised and disappointed with the rev match feature and the exhaust on sport mode. I am hoping that once the engine is broken in and I can push the RPMs above 4000, the exhaust and the rev match feature would be more impressive
Old 05-08-2018, 04:08 AM
Frenzyy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've used sports mode (rev match) when I'm driving the wife around and she doesn't like me missing the heel toe downshift to keep things smooth and it does a great job at it 99% of the time to perfectly give a smooth downshift. What is your complaint on the rev matching?

Last edited by Frenzyy; 05-08-2018 at 05:44 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:58 AM
Peter_GT4
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 17 Posts

I guess I know what he means...coming from a GT4 with a very impressive and hard bark at each downshift in my case, the GT3 initially felt less impressive to me.
The rev matching sounds more like induction noise compared to the lovely detonation in a GT4.

But things will get better, with 1800km run-in now, the GT3 sounds quite promising on downshifts. Pops and burbles are gradually coming. Give her some miles....

Peter
Old 05-08-2018, 09:31 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Only have 1200kms logged and am keeping revs below 4000. I'll go on record that I use "Sport" button around town and I like it! Keeps things smooth.

Not sure the point OP is trying to make.... disappointed and unimpressed with his GT3??

Last edited by NVRANUF; 05-08-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:13 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Yeah, you might need to break the car in and go over 4000rpm. I drove Sean Groer's car last week and the downshifts are impressive to the point of having me giggling like a school girl. This is a 9k revving machine so sticking under 4k isn't even 50% of the experience. Probably not worth starting a thread over. LOL
Old 05-08-2018, 10:36 AM
dbulker
AutoX

Thanks Peter. Yes you know exactly where I am coming from. Don't get me wrong, the car is absolutely fabulous but as Peter said, It doesn't have that popping and rumbling that the GT4 has. I am sure as the car gets more miles she will come around. I will wait to get above 4K RPM to see how the rev match compares to the GT4. It also may have a lag at low RPMs
Old 05-08-2018, 10:44 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Kinda OT, but I am heartened to read about people respecting the break in. Anyhoo, even with the PDK, the PSE and the bark with every shift up or down really comes into play after break in and going above even just 4K rpm
Old 05-08-2018, 10:51 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_GT4
I guess I know what he means...coming from a GT4 with a very impressive and hard bark at each downshift in my case, the GT3 initially felt less impressive to me.
The rev matching sounds more like induction noise compared to the lovely detonation in a GT4.

But things will get better, with 1800km run-in now, the GT3 sounds quite promising on downshifts. Pops and burbles are gradually coming. Give her some miles....

Peter
You can always do what other car companies do and either have fake exhaust noises pump through the sound system or remap the fuel curve to give you manufactured pops when you blip the throttle or downshift. That's what most other cars have. I personally find it cheesy and dishonest. It's not real. And I think it 100% goes against everything a car like the GT3 stands for. I'm glad Porsche doesn't do it.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:05 AM
dbulker
AutoX

Originally Posted by Palting
Kinda OT, but I am heartened to read about people respecting the break in. Anyhoo, even with the PDK, the PSE and the bark with every shift up or down really comes into play after break in and going above even just 4K rpm
yes. I guess I’m being a little impatient. Ty
Old 05-08-2018, 11:07 AM
dbulker
AutoX

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
You can always do what other car companies do and either have fake exhaust noises pump through the sound system or remap the fuel curve to give you manufactured pops when you blip the throttle or downshift. That's what most other cars have. I personally find it cheesy and dishonest. It's not real. And I think it 100% goes against everything a car like the GT3 stands for. I'm glad Porsche doesn't do it.
you are right on
Old 05-08-2018, 11:16 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,578 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
I hate the fake pops and burbles on my C2S during downshifts. But especially upshifts where I get this “pop” and it seriously sounds like something just broke on the car. Every time. Embarrassing that it’s so fake.

So Porsche definitely does do it. Guess just not on the GT cars?
Old 05-08-2018, 11:26 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
So Porsche definitely does do it. Guess just not on the GT cars?
I hope not.

SOME cars out there do it, and it's real. But it's for a very specific purpose in very specific applications.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:31 AM
Peter_GT4
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 17 Posts

To clarify, maybe it´s just my lack of corerect terms to describe, I do not mean those ugly and artifical popping sounds a la M4 and other turbps. Just listen to a GT4, nothing cheesy or dishonest there.
Driving both back to back, GT3 brand new, I could not help bit find the GT3 rev match a bit too unspectacular. It simply lacked some sharpness and force, which seems to be coming along with the miles.

Peter
Old 05-08-2018, 12:31 PM
rsms
Advanced

The 991.2 GT3 MT "sport assist" works in a perhaps too clever way:
  • When downshifting and holding or releasing throttle: blips for you
  • When downshifting and applying throttle: doesn't do anything
  • When upshifting and holding throttle: gently matches engine speed for you
  • When upshifting and releasing throttle: blips for you only if engine speed drops below optimal speed, otherwise does nothing
I came up with this after a thorough test with a friend. We both drove the car and agree this is what's happening.

My guess is that Porsche wanted to be clever and allow you to learn heel-and-toe while still in "sport" mode — if you apply or release throttle, it seems the computer assumes you are doing the work yourself and doesn't intervene.

Coming from a GT4 where "sport" always helps you (and never when off), it's probably just a matter of getting used to this new, "clever" strategy.

Last edited by rsms; 05-08-2018 at 12:32 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 05-08-2018, 12:38 PM
Marker1
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Also noticed that it anticipates a downshift on hard braking and blips before the lever is pulled. Anyone else notice that?

Quick Reply: Rev Match on manual 991.2 GT3