Sponsored by:

Touring vs Wing review

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 03:26 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrence
As you guys know, I got a Touring back in March. So now I have had the wing for about half a year and the Touring for about two months.

Here are some observations:

Wing car has Carbon wing, lid and hinges. As far as I can tell, T doesn’t have any carbon pieces in the back.

Wing has dual air filters and ram air from the two ducts. T has a cone filter and sucks air from the top through the the vents. I feel like the Wing car must get more cold air at any speed than the T due to surface area fed by the ducts. T will also be sucking half the air from underneath the cone filter which would mean hot air from the engine compartment which is probably not that good.

i feel like the doors are lighter on the Wing car, just from the effort it takes to swing them. Perhaps leather is heavier than alcantara? Or maybe more carbon fiber parts are omitted in the T?

Total 911 mentioned that the T has less sound deadening. Mine is definitely louder inside than the wing car, but I always have thought it was because of a different brand of center muffler-delete pipe. Maybe not? They also mentioned that the suspension is softer which I do not find to be the case at all as the ride is about the same if not worse.

The T has been slower than the Wing from day one, and still is, although it does have adaptive sport vs my buckets in the wing, and from my research, that is about a 70+ pound difference total.

My T has always sat quite a bit lower than the Wing whether raised or not. At first, I thought it was a different suspension tuning. Now I think maybe it is because the T is heavier than the Wing?

Food for thought. I am lucky to have both and be able to even make such comparisons.
Doors are the same, sound deadening is the same, suspension is the same, and they are the same speed. I know nobody wants to be called out, and I know this post isn't popular... but it's the same exact car.. imagination is powerful, emperor has no clothes.. etc etc.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:53 AM
itsujack
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Very interesting observations. With a Touring in bound next month, I'm interested in the differences, as I thought the cars were practically identical, save the wing and some interior options. I wonder if the different seats (buckets v sofas) are giving you a distinctly different perception of speed and handling? Not sure if the weight difference between the two seat options can be felt on the road though, maybe?
Old 05-08-2018, 08:56 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Doors are the same, sound deadening is the same, suspension is the same, and they are the same speed. I know nobody wants to be called out, and I know this post isn't popular... but it's the same exact car.. imagination is powerful, emperor has no clothes.. etc etc.
Its an interesting conversation. I tend to go with this view as well but have no direct comparison experience. Im going on fact that Porsche would market any difference they could as point of difference and hence add $/demand etc.... That said, the things that are clearly different will have a flow on effect in some areas. I would be surprised if suspension was set exactly the same for example when the wing would generate a lot more down force, but it may be.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:23 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

However there is one confirmed difference between a 991.2 GT3 wing and a Touring. That's the intake box configuration. Not sure it contributes to these differences people are claiming but it is a difference none the the less:

Touring:

Winged:

Old 05-08-2018, 11:56 AM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Lol! Sure. I made it all up for some discussion. Believe what you want, I don’t care. I actually used a decibel meter on Sunday on both. And I will weigh them this this week.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:01 PM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes, as I have mentioned in my original post, the Wing uses two flat filters and the T uses cone filters. I think the ducts on the Wing car produces more cold air for the engine than the T.

[QUOTE=1Gunner;14995031]However there is one confirmed difference between a 991.2 GT3 wing and a Touring. That's the intake box configuration. Not sure it contributes to these differences people are claiming but it is a difference none the the less:

Touring:

Winged
Old 05-08-2018, 12:04 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 118 Posts

What is the best Center bypass ? Looking for more raw sound but not lose the current character sound ... and help?

cheers
Old 05-08-2018, 12:56 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

Last edited by FORENN; 05-02-2019 at 01:21 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Yes, as I have mentioned in my original post, the Wing uses two flat filters and the T uses cone filters. I think the ducts on the Wing car produces more cold air for the engine than the T.

see 4:29... +20 bhp at vmax:

Old 05-08-2018, 02:55 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Yes, as I have mentioned in my original post, the Wing uses two flat filters and the T uses 2 cone filters. I think the ducts on the Wing car produces more cold air for the engine than the T.
When we take what we know as real and make assumptions to arrive at conclusions for what we think, it makes for a better story.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
When we take what we know as real and make assumptions to arrive at conclusions for what we think, it makes for a better story.
looking at the pictures of the touring airbox, it appears as though its "fully enclosed", that is the only opening, thru which air is intaken is from the top, via the grille in the decklid, so I dont see how it is possible that it can intake "warmer" air than the wing's decklid...

where there is a clear distinction is in the presence/absence of the "ram" effect of the winged decklids scoops vs the "simple" grille on the touring decklid ...
Old 05-08-2018, 03:12 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
looking at the pictures of the touring airbox, it appears as though its "fully enclosed", that is the only opening, thru which air is intaken is from the top, via the grille in the decklid, so I dont see how it is possible that it can intake "warmer" air than the wing's decklid...

where there is a clear distinction is in the presence/absence of the "ram" effect of the winged decklids scoops vs the "simple" grille on the touring decklid ...
Intake air temps will be equal. Touring twin filter airbox is sealed the same as the winged flat filter airbox.

Questions remain....
At what velocity must the car travel at in order for this "ram effect" to make it's presence objectively real and measurable??
Or does the wing create negative air pressure at the point of intake only corrected by the scoops?
Old 05-08-2018, 03:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Intake air temps will be equal. Touring twin filter airbox is sealed the same as the winged flat filter airbox.
that's what I thought...

Questions remain....
At what velocity must the car travel at in order for this "ram effect" to make it's presence objectively real and measurable??
Or does the wing create negative air pressure at the point of intake only corrected by the scoops?
As to the 2nd question, I would say "yes" since the "wing" is inverted, it will create a low pressure zone underneath it ("negative lift", creating downforce) so presumably the scoops isolate the intake from that and channel more air into the airbox...

totally different airflow from the touring... although both variants will experience decreasing air pressure in the general area of their intakes as speed increases since the profile of the car itself is that of an airfoil and those exhibit a low pressure zone towards the back of the foil...

probably only way to answer your 1st would be to stick an air flow meter (or use the one in the cars throttle body) to measure the (relative) air flows from 0-vmax on both cars...
Old 05-08-2018, 04:23 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Lol! Sure. I made it all up for some discussion. Believe what you want, I don’t care. I actually used a decibel meter on Sunday on both. And I will weigh them this this week.
You find any measure that your doors weigh differently between wingy and Touring as you claim, and I will donate $500 to a charity of your choice.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:26 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

You find any measure that your doors weigh differently between wingy and Touring as you claim, and I will donate $500 to a charity of your choice.
PET P/# comparisons are always a good way to determine variances between models...

Quick Reply: Touring vs Wing review