Sponsored by:

NYC GT3s?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 01:23 AM
gh0sd0g
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to Manhattan.
I've been here for about 2 years, and I often drive my GT3 in the city. mostly at night or in the weekend.

I service my car at a shop in Long Island: M-Chanics.
And I park my car at parking lot on 42 and 9 called MPG. it is ok price, and more importantly, it is self park. it has 5+ floors.
Multiple Porsches in there, even a 9ff.

Feel free to connect via mp if you need more info
Old 05-15-2018, 01:47 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

I live outside NYC and fully agree with others that have said live outside the city and commute or store your car outside the city. Do your research if your going to live in NJ as the commute can be brutal by car.

I believe the Classic Car Club of Manhattan provides car storage in Hoboken, NJ which is easily accessible via train or ferry service from NYC.

https://classiccarclubmanhattan.com/membership/

the good old news is that roads like this are only an hour ( plus ) away from NYC.

1 st pic shows Route 615 in NJ ( Google search the Walpack Inn )

2nd pic shows Route 44 / 55 in NewYork State ( Google Mountain Brauhaus New Paltz NY )
Old 05-15-2018, 03:39 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim137a

I live outside NYC and fully agree with others that have said live outside the city and commute or store your car outside the city. Do your research if your going to live in NJ as the commute can be brutal by car.

I believe the Classic Car Club of Manhattan provides car storage in Hoboken, NJ which is easily accessible via train or ferry service from NYC.

the good old news is that roads like this are only an hour ( plus ) away from NYC.

2nd pic shows Route 44 / 55 in NewYork State ( Google Mountain Brauhaus New Paltz NY )
Is it monthly membership? How much is it usually?
Old 05-15-2018, 04:04 PM
gh0sd0g
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim137a

thanks for the tip, didnt know about route 615.

I'd also suggest the 7 lakes road near Bear Mountain: less crowded and more fun than bear mountain.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:04 PM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 90 Posts

lived in NYC last 15 years, half a dozen Porsche GT cars there and many others, no issues, left the city when i was going on drives or going somewhere, if i had to go downtown i wasn't taking a car anyways. not sure what all the drama is about, its not a big deal. Take care of your cars, tip the Valet guys, its just a car, life is short. Live well today, don't protect or sacrifice things for tomorrow.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:36 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ascend
Is it monthly membership? How much is it usually?
im not sure regarding the cost of the Manhattan Car Club but here’s there phone # +12122292402

I do know that they provide storage facilities in Hoboken.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:01 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Storm King Highway- Storm King NY

Hawks Nest

Hawks Nest Port Jervis, NY

Roebling Bridge Lackawaxen PA

NPS 615 ( National Park Service) is one of my favorites as it’s pretty isolated has some awesome turns, very tight and very technical- not so smooth it some spots but I take it as a challenge - I learn to read the “ texture “ of the road and adjust my speed accordingly. There’s no side street entering the flow of traffic and obviously weekdays are best. What ever you do don’t go up the road towards Blue Mountain Lakes - I wouldn’t take a 4 x 4 up there. When I come to the intersection for the road towards Blue Mountain Lakes I turn around or you can follow the road onto Old Mine Road.

Another one one of my favorites is Pennsylvania Route 590 from Lackawaxen PA to Lake Wallenpaupack PA - awesome road with some extremely challenging turns. Start at Port Jervis NY and pass through Hawks Nest to the Roebling Bridge and onto Route 590. Once in lake Wallenpaupack head towards Dingmans Ferry PA VIA Pennsylvania Route 739.

And another favorite is Storm King Highway just north of Bear Mountain.

Originally Posted by gh0sd0g
thanks for the tip, didnt know about route 615.

I'd also suggest the 7 lakes road near Bear Mountain: less crowded and more fun than bear mountain.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:24 PM
nimprojects
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Cover the car in PPF and you’re good to go.

Having a nice car in the city is a real treat. Plenty of people in NYC keep their Porsches here, they’re just too busy enjoying living here to post on Rennlist ; )

I look forward to seeing your GT3 on the streets on New York.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:23 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nimprojects
Cover the car in PPF and you’re good to go.

Having a nice car in the city is a real treat. Plenty of people in NYC keep their Porsches here, they’re just too busy enjoying living here to post on Rennlist ; )

I look forward to seeing your GT3 on the streets on New York.
Including but not limited to Jerry Seinfeld, wolfmobil, Benjamin Chen, Andrew Zalasin.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:20 PM
btree
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone living in NYC used parking in NJ along thre Path line?

Also when getting car insurance, does it matter where you park the car vs where is your residence? I’m guessing insurance rates would be a lot lower in NJ or upstate NY.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:39 AM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by btree
Has anyone living in NYC used parking in NJ along thre Path line?

Also when getting car insurance, does it matter where you park the car vs where is your residence? I’m guessing insurance rates would be a lot lower in NJ or upstate NY.
My insurance company wouldn't even let me store it in Jersey (out of state).

Quick Reply: NYC GT3s?