Sponsored by:

She's a big girl..check out my build!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 02:23 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by TBC63
Both of your perspectives are important to me. I have the Bose in my 16 GTS Cab (PDK) and 09 C2S Cab (Manual) and hardly use it. I'm thinking more of when I or someone else would want to listen to music how does the Bose sound compared to the standard? (have not searched the topic yet) I don't have firsthand perspective.

On another note eliminating the Carbon Mirrors, Bose, and Light Design totals $3500. Gas money...she will be driven! But in the end I do want the experience of a my first hard top GT car that has performance, three pedals, visuals and comfort. Enjoy now while I still can!
I am sure the Bose sounds better than the standard. When the car is parked. I do listen to the radio, Apple car play is on all the time. My point is that at 65 MPH, you won't be able to tell the difference berween Bose and the standard, because of all the other car sounds around you overwhelming it. I have to confess I'm not the expert at it since I purposely didn't get the Bose due to the above concerns. The GT3 makes a lot more wonderful car noises than either of your two previous Porsches. Test drive or ride a GT3 with a friend, cruise in the highway, and listen for yourself. Maybe you have a more discerning ear than me.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:34 PM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree that light design is a waste. I had carbon mirrors on a .2 GTS that was GT Silver with black wheels and thought it looked incredible. With silver wheels on a touring I think you could skip the carbon mirrors. It’s kind of an expensive option for what you get. im thinking about ditching the carbon mirrors on my Miami blue .2 GT3 build because I think the regular mirrors look great especially in a bold color.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:01 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 132 Posts

I like your build. Mine came in at $187k and I don’t have auto dim or bose.

my 2016 C4S had bose and to me the stereo in my .2 GT3 sounds largely the same.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:38 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
I am sure the Bose sounds better than the standard. When the car is parked. I do listen to the radio, Apple car play is on all the time. My point is that at 65 MPH, you won't be able to tell the difference berween Bose and the standard, because of all the other car sounds around you overwhelming it. I have to confess I'm not the expert at it since I purposely didn't get the Bose due to the above concerns. The GT3 makes a lot more wonderful car noises than either of your two previous Porsches. Test drive or ride a GT3 with a friend, cruise in the highway, and listen for yourself. Maybe you have a more discerning ear than me.
Bose makes a big difference, at any speed. I could show you an embarrassing video of my brother and I rocking out to AC/DC - Thunderstruck while at 200kph on autobahn to give you an idea of how good it is.. but then I'd have to Kill y......

Get the BOSE, it sounds nice enough to make a difference, the car isn't THAT loud
Old 04-25-2018, 07:57 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can see why people don’t think the Bose is worth it- the car is LOUD, even in ways I didn’t expect, and that can drown out the music, espescially when driving with purpose. Also, the car sounds great, and you want to hear that, too. But I could never call it a waste, or say it was for “bragging rights”. If anything, I’m a bit embarrassed over the total cost of my car, mostly bc of the judgy jenny’s on rennlist.

the fact is, the Bose sounds better than stock, and if that difference is worth the price to you, then go for it. It is NOT a rolling concert hall, though I have heard the $4500 burmeister or whatever is pretty damn close
Old 04-25-2018, 08:07 PM
wru
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 149 Posts

Having had all 3; base, Bose and Burmester, i can tell you definitively the base sound system flat out sucks. If you listen to anything - anything - you will hate that base system. The Bose is overpriced and the Burmester even more so, but the base is just plain embarrassing in a car at this price level. Get the Bose and if you want to upgrade from there, there are options to do so without breaking the bank.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:28 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Tops out at 183k...

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ9JVR56

If PTS was possible I would have added. Looked into houndstooth centers for 18 way seats..would have been another $8900. I'm thinking subtle GT Silver deviated stitch will be enough.
$8900 for inserts? PAG has no shame...
Old 04-26-2018, 01:21 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Went to town on the options list. My new Daily has been optioned heavily also.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:30 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by wru
Having had all 3; base, Bose and Burmester, i can tell you definitively the base sound system flat out sucks. If you listen to anything - anything - you will hate that base system. The Bose is overpriced and the Burmester even more so, but the base is just plain embarrassing in a car at this price level. Get the Bose and if you want to upgrade from there, there are options to do so without breaking the bank.
Disagree. I’m somewhat of an audiophile and have pretty high end equipment at home. The Burmester is clearly the best, but the Bose in my 2016 has a very muddy sound on low frequencies and shrill almost fatiguing on the highs.

it wasn’t garbage, but for an “upgrade” it sounded pretty mediocre. From what I understand, the base system is upgraded from previous model years to the “plus” system. In my 2018 the base system is comparable to the Bose in my 2016 C4S. For a car with so much other noises going on, the difference is indiscernible. I bet money that if I slapped a bose logo on my door speakers 99.9% of people won’t know the difference.

This isn’t complimentary to the base system, rather it is a criticism to the bose.

Having owned both, it is not worth it for the Bose.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:52 PM
wru
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 149 Posts

Johnny5, fair point. I should have clarified - my base was in a 2010 GTS, so it may have been improved. That said, i'll have some Burmester parts for sale cheap once 12V Nick gets done with her here shortly...
Old 04-27-2018, 04:08 PM
TBC63
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
$8900 for inserts? PAG has no shame...
Big number. Included in that price point I could do some other things to the seats in addition to the inserts: side piping, different color bolsters, headrest script changes) but as of now have decided to keep the interior to the two main colors of black with GT silver stitching. Lock date is July so I am sure I will second guess everything for a while until then.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:39 AM
KM1959
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Big number. Included in that price point I could do some other things to the seats in addition to the inserts: side piping, different color bolsters, headrest script changes) but as of now have decided to keep the interior to the two main colors of black with GT silver stitching. Lock date is July so I am sure I will second guess everything for a while until then.
Not that I am a billionaire but if I were, I'd like to think that I'd still balk at that stupid price and donate that $8900 to a worthy cause.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:40 AM
TBC63
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Had some time in my 16 GTS this weekend with light design and Bose. Rare that I drive her at night but this weekend I was intentional and have decided I'm going to keep the light design on Touring build. It's very subtle in the GTS but I liked having the little amount of illumination it provided.

Next up is comparing Bose. My GTS has it but not the right comparison needed. Have two buddies with .1 GT3's. One with and one without. Direct compare coming up in the next week or so.

I have PDLS on the 997 and LED in Black on the 991 GTS. Still hanging in with the PDLS in black for Touring. Three cars, three different lighting systems unless I really want the LED halos again.

Happy that I have enough time to continue to wobble back and forth to get comfortable on these small touches decisions. As always I appreciate everyone's thoughts and perspectives here.

Last edited by TBC63; 04-30-2018 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Typos

Quick Reply: She's a big girl..check out my build!