Sponsored by:

GT3 Touring - Woah.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 09:07 AM
Filoize
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tstafford
Couldn't they get all that by seeing it in a parking lot? The plate is visible, the VIN is showing thru the windshield, etc.

I'm asking completely honestly because I've never understood the blanking out of the plate in photo thing.
I myself am not too worried about this since in Monaco, it's quite impossible for a carjacking to happen, but you could never be too sure.
The main reason why I will do it once I get my permanent number plate is just so that people don't know who I am. Especially here in Monaco, it's so small that basically we all know each other and since we have loads of car spotters, and youtubers etc I'd rather have it covered than revealed.

(And Monaco plates don't really get any tickets from anywhere outside Monaco so that's quite cool.)

But I do see where you're coming from with your point.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:54 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by tstafford
Couldn't they get all that by seeing it in a parking lot? The plate is visible, the VIN is showing thru the windshield, etc.

I'm asking completely honestly because I've never understood the blanking out of the plate in photo thing.
I've never blurred out my plates in my photos. Look me up, come to my house and try to take my car(s). It's not going to end well for anyone outside of a trained assassin.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:21 AM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Filoize
I myself am not too worried about this since in Monaco, it's quite impossible for a carjacking to happen, but you could never be too sure.
The main reason why I will do it once I get my permanent number plate is just so that people don't know who I am. Especially here in Monaco, it's so small that basically we all know each other and since we have loads of car spotters, and youtubers etc I'd rather have it covered than revealed.

(And Monaco plates don't really get any tickets from anywhere outside Monaco so that's quite cool.)

I'm more worried about identity theft and fraud than a car-jacking personally (or kidnap for ransom). In term's of automatic targeting of HNWs I think it's not beyond the realms of possibility to create a webcrawler with plate detection as a starting point.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:57 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 591 Posts

But you posted pictures of your friend's cars and license plates - no problem . Just kidding.

Gorgeous car - lots of class!
Old 04-21-2018, 07:42 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

Funny after I asked the question.. I asked google.. here is what she had to say.. (apologies OP for being off topic). Driver privacy protection act for the USA guys..
https://jalopnik.com/why-do-we-alway...net-1691298199

I not overly concerned. Car jacking in Aus is very very rare. Potential rego swaps get picked up quick due to the algorithms the police and freeway tolls run. Ie if doesnt match car it alerts straight away, so the bad guys don't do much if at all because you cant drive anywhere without going past one or the other. Much better to do bad stuff in your aunties Toyota, so she can report it stolen after.... Also to match a gt3, well we probably all know each other.. small population.
So just putting it out there my rego is A62435 .. .. also happens to be the last 5 digits of my wife's credit card..
Old 04-21-2018, 12:46 PM
Johisco
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess this can be a good way to introduce myself to the group? I've been following this forum for a while and just today decided to make an account.

Yesterday after a 4month wait (quite short tbh) I picked up the 911.2 Porsche Touring and honestly I am over the moon. This car is mental, it has the class the normal gt3 is lacking (next to the T - love the wing one though) but with all the brutal power and sound that engine makes. After speaking to a dear friend of mine, that races for Porsche, he told me that at least for Europe there is no break in period as the engines have already been ran in 500/600KM and that it just needs to be in temperature.

This short shifter is just great, and all the mechanical noises this car makes, every bump, every gear change, every little movement feels like you're breaking something and god I love that noise, so pure.

Here are a few pictures of the car:

I have yet to push it over 6K RPM but as soon as you floor it on first gear (let it be that the Cup 2 are brand new) the rear end likes to slide around.
I'll give a better review of it the more I drive it but managed to put 30miles on it even though where I live there is a car event + Tennis master series meaning the roads are properly blocked.

Fun fact: I also have a GLC 43AMG and that car took more time to be delivered than this beauty.
Congrats! Spec is very similar to mine

However, my instructions manual clearly states that I have to run it in. 3000km not over 4000rpm and preferably not short runs without letting the engine heat up propperly
Old 04-21-2018, 03:08 PM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Johisco
Congrats! Spec is very similar to mine

However, my instructions manual clearly states that I have to run it in. 3000km not over 4000rpm and preferably not short runs without letting the engine heat up propperly
What? 3000km under 4000rpm? Is that in the Swedish owner's manual? That seems waaay more careful than Preuniger's own instructions (500km below 5000, then increase 500rpm every 200km) That would mean we can hit 9000rpm already after 1900km)

I also have it from one of the (many) cleaning ladies inside PAG that basically, if you want max performance out of the engine, drive really hard from the start. With over 20 years of experience in automotive development, I agree, but I still won't do it with my GT3. AP:s approach or slightly harder, will be my way to go.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:10 AM
Filoize
Track Day

Talking

And here is a little 9k RPM tunnel run... Couldn't fit the whole video but hey at least you get to hear second gear! haha

Okay so no lift up shift sounds INSANE I usually always do it at around 6k rpm as it pops quite well, I have to admit though that in this video I did not do it because at 9K rpm I was somewhat frightened that it wouldn't work the way its supposed to.

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
GT3 TOURING.mov (4.79 MB, 102 views)
Old 04-23-2018, 10:26 AM
Filoize
Track Day

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
What? 3000km under 4000rpm? Is that in the Swedish owner's manual? That seems waaay more careful than Preuniger's own instructions (500km below 5000, then increase 500rpm every 200km) That would mean we can hit 9000rpm already after 1900km)

I also have it from one of the (many) cleaning ladies inside PAG that basically, if you want max performance out of the engine, drive really hard from the start. With over 20 years of experience in automotive development, I agree, but I still won't do it with my GT3. AP:s approach or slightly harder, will be my way to go.
I've looked everywhere in my manual and couldn't find anything about break in period! My manual is both GT2RS and GT3, I find that quite odd but I guess you can learn interesting things from that... haha
Old 04-23-2018, 11:05 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

I've looked everywhere in my manual and couldn't find anything about break in period! My manual is both GT2RS and GT3, I find that quite odd but I guess you can learn interesting things from that... haha
Interesting, thanks. I will compare once I get my hands on mine.
Just to add to my statement above about break-in - "drive really hard" is of course once all fluid temperatures are up,...
Old 04-23-2018, 11:07 AM
Filoize
Track Day

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
Interesting, thanks. I will compare once I get my hands on mine.
Just to add to my statement above about break-in - "drive really hard" is of course once all fluid temperatures are up,...
Yeah, I usually wait till the temps are at around 80*c and just have both tyres and brakes good.

It takes the engine 10minutes maybe less to get into temp, (reading the manual it just says to go under 7kRPM while not in perfect temp) and the manual's perfect temp is like 65*c.

It takes my GLC43 like 20 minutes to get at an okay temp, funny.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:47 PM
Johisco
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

That is strange, my manual is also for GT2RS and GT3.

Different strokes for different folks I guess but I will follow the break in instructions in my manual. I tend to agree with this guy, I don´t think the manufacturers would just make it up like in the case of NSX for example. Wasting money for no reason does not sound right...
Old 04-23-2018, 02:29 PM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I think he got most of the basics right.

When I say "drive really hard", in a GT3 on normal roads, 50% throttle and say, below 7000 will be perceived as quite hard... I do not necessarily mean launch starts and redline shifting out from the dealer...

As for the NSX, he said they are breaking the engine in for 150 miles... - and then the customer is free to "trash it on the track". 150 miles is maybe a bit short in my book before going 100% rev and load, but it actually proves my point...

What I am findind very strange is that Porsches instructions state 3000km. That's over 1800 miles where you are driving restricted. If I am doing my maths correctly AP:s procedure will be done with after 1900km. But during that run it's a gradual build up to 9000 so it won't feel too boring during that period. Johisco - out of curiosity, would you mind taking a photo of the break in procedure in the manual and posting? Thanks

Sorry, OP, for hi-jacking your thread.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:58 PM
BLACKMAMBA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U.K. version

Old 04-23-2018, 03:12 PM
Marto
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is your manual from Porsche France? Mine came with a standard 911 manual and I was told Porsche Fr had not published GT3 manuals (collected in Jan this year).

Quick Reply: GT3 Touring - Woah.