Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3.2 and GT3.1 vs 700 hp M6

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 06:59 PM
Akunob
Race Car

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

The .2 is clearly so much faster, this has been settled a while ago. Great video though!
Old 04-19-2018, 09:24 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
I think part of the perception is the other differences in the cars. The suspension on the .2 is more supple, the ride is less harsh. The PDK on the .2 isn't as violent when it shifts. I don't think the 'sport' mode on the .2 changes the shift patterns as radically as on the .1 either. The .2 doesn't seem to blast through the revs as fast as the .1. The .2 lacks some of the mechanical noises of the .1. The .2 seems to be overall more quiet than the .1.

All the factors that make the .2 a better street car contribute to the perception that the .1 is faster. It's not just the butt dyno, it's all the other senses that contribute to the sensation. All the noise and drama of the .1 makes it seem faster when, in fact, it's not - as clearly shown here.
Thanks for your comments Bill,

I forget. Did you own a .1 previously?
I must admit your comments make me less excited about the .2 I have coming in. More supple ride is fine, but I hope you don’t notice more body roll in the .2 vs the .1?

The PDK not being as violent when it shifts. Is that just in auto or auto Sport? I primarily shift the PDK-S manually, and wouldn’t like it if the shifts of the .2 manual PDK-S feel slower in any way.

Last edited by Drifting; 04-20-2018 at 02:10 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:54 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,027 Likes on 5,240 Posts

Obviously, the tires
Old 04-20-2018, 06:28 AM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

I would so like to see a 1:1 comparison without jump-start. In the rev range between 7k and 9k, there should be not so much difference? Curios to test-drive a .2 GT3 some day
Old 04-20-2018, 10:41 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I think part of the perception is the other differences in the cars. The suspension on the .2 is more supple, the ride is less harsh. The PDK on the .2 isn't as violent when it shifts. I don't think the 'sport' mode on the .2 changes the shift patterns as radically as on the .1 either. The .2 doesn't seem to blast through the revs as fast as the .1. The .2 lacks some of the mechanical noises of the .1. The .2 seems to be overall more quiet than the .1.

All the factors that make the .2 a better street car contribute to the perception that the .1 is faster. It's not just the butt dyno, it's all the other senses that contribute to the sensation. All the noise and drama of the .1 makes it seem faster when, in fact, it's not - as clearly shown here.
Dr. Bill it sounds like you have owned a .1 and .2 PDK GT3. You mention the .2 not being as violent shifting. I assume you are talking about 1st to 2nd. Can you elaborate? In my .1 the shift between 1st and 2nd could be called brutal. Adds character to the car! What is the difference between this and the .2?
Old 04-23-2018, 03:27 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 704 Posts

Would love to hear bill elaborate further.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:58 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Taffy66
I have a .2 PDK and drove both .2PDK and .1 back to back at Silverstone last year..There is a distinct difference between the two in terms of power delivery which can mask any real performance gains..The .1 IMO feels pretty gutless below 5k in comparison to the .2,however at about 6k it takes off like a scalded cat and at that point it gives the impression of being at least as quick as the .2..The .2 feels a lot torquier below 5k, with the one caveat that when it comes on cam at 6k the change feels less dramatic but ultimately faster..
The top end of the .1 feels more dramatic at the top end purely because the final rush of revs is more concentrated in the 8-9k range where the .2's final rush starts at about 7k..
All this serves to confuse the butt dynamo into thinking both cars have equal performance and its not until you pitch both against the stop watch you realise that the .2 is in a different league because the power is more uniform right through the rev range..
Both are pretty awesome cars and any .1 owners should not feel short changed.

Very interesting comments and point of views. Power delivery can make a huge difference on how the two cars feel
Old 04-23-2018, 04:12 PM
strettyend
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

Appreciate the real-world comments on the difference in feeling between the .1 and .2.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:03 PM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
Anyone know why this has gone, it was a good watch I liked comparing the GT3 .1 sound vs the .2

Quick Reply: GT3.2 and GT3.1 vs 700 hp M6