Sponsored by:

sway bar adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 06:10 PM
SANDIEGO
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default sway bar adjustment

the GT3 .2 has three settings on the sway bars. From the factory it come with the middle setting. Has anybody gone to the max setting on their sway bars. If so, did you notice much of a body roll difference? I am considering doing this on mine since it does seem to have a bit of sway around corners.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:37 PM
JRidge
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to insult your intelligence, but did you turn on the Sport mode with the PASM button first? That stiffens the chassis considerably and would eliminate some of the roll if you haven't done that already. But to answer your question, I never considered moving both in the same direction. Seems like that just reduces grip at both ends without changing the handling dynamics. I'd only adjust the sway bar to tune the oversteer/understeer more to my liking by changing one and leaving the other as is. Or changing them both but in opposite directions. Just my .02, YMMV
Old 04-12-2018, 06:45 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

I have set my rear bar to full stiff (front bar remains in middle) for moving balance towards oversteer. Haven't noticed a big difference yet, but haven't tracked it like this yet. Generally adjustable swaybars are there to adjust handling balance at the limit, rather than to prevent a bit of roll in corners.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:25 PM
SANDIEGO
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I was in the SPORT setting. I will try the rear sway adjustment first and see if notice a difference.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,610 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by SANDIEGO
I was in the SPORT setting. I will try the rear sway adjustment first and see if notice a difference.
buy a DSC and get it programmed appropriately, it can effective "mimic" PDCC by dynamically stiffening the compression/rebound on the "outside" shocks.

I believe TPC-Racing are actively working on some off the shelf maps for the .2
Old 04-13-2018, 03:06 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I have set my rear bar to full stiff (front bar remains in middle) for moving balance towards oversteer. Haven't noticed a big difference yet, but haven't tracked it like this yet. Generally adjustable swaybars are there to adjust handling balance at the limit, rather than to prevent a bit of roll in corners.
This. The adjustment is to change oversteer/understeer balance, not about roll. Most street cars are set up to understeer, so it makes sense to dial in less understeer - more oversteer for better corner rotation. This will be my first GT3, though, so i will see how it behaves on the track with the factory settings. I sense I may do what Grant did, stiffen up the rear. In my prior track toy, a C4S, I softened up the front and stiffened the rear. Great car rotation around the corners, but that setting chewed up the front tires too much.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:08 AM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
This. The adjustment is to change oversteer/understeer balance, not about roll. Most street cars are set up to understeer, so it makes sense to dial in less understeer - more oversteer for better corner rotation. This will be my first GT3, though, so i will see how it behaves on the track with the factory settings. I sense I may do what Grant did, stiffen up the rear. In my prior track toy, a C4S, I softened up the front and stiffened the rear. Great car rotation around the corners, but that setting chewed up the front tires too much.
I am running the opposite (and contrary to what I would have thought until I tried all iterations) - I am running full stiff up front and full soft in the rear. I found that I preferred as much rear end grip and earlier acceleration out of the corner as possible and preferred managing the understeer with trail braking. I have not fought understeer much and love the exit speeds so far. Note that I am running 255 front wide tires and not the 245 OEM (which probably helps a bit to lessen potential understeer).

Quick Reply: sway bar adjustment