Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feel stupid asking... but what are the fans for?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 03:06 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Feel stupid asking... but what are the fans for?

Hey guys,

This is probably obvious but I did a bit of searching and can't find an answer.

When you pop the trunk on the GT3 (and other 991's) all you get is some air intake openings and a couple of fans. And I guess the coolant and oil fillers.

So... umm... what are those two fans for?? The radiators are up front, aren't they?
Old 04-12-2018, 03:18 PM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 107 Posts

There just to keep temps inside the engine compartment down. They turn on after a certain threshold, particularly after you’ve parked it for a few minutes and the engine bay heat soaks on a hot day.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:27 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by A418t81
There just to keep temps inside the engine compartment down. They turn on after a certain threshold, particularly after you’ve parked it for a few minutes and the engine bay heat soaks on a hot day.
So that's it? They just blow on the engine after you stop? Do they draw air in from the vent under the wing? When you're driving, I imagine that vent is to let air out right? Then again... I'm not sure where it would be coming in... and it could actually suck air in due to some vortex effect or something.

Thanks! At least that explains why their purpose wasn't obvious to me.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:11 PM
pdudek
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't post often but can't resist ..

They're there for additional downforce
Old 04-12-2018, 04:13 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
So that's it? They just blow on the engine after you stop? Do they draw air in from the vent under the wing? When you're driving, I imagine that vent is to let air out right? Then again... I'm not sure where it would be coming in... and it could actually suck air in due to some vortex effect or something.

The vent on the top of the engine decklid? That is to let air in(faster you go, more air is forced in), just like a grill would on a car with a front mounted engine. Similarly, the fans are for cooling just like the fan behind the radiator on a car with a front mounted engine.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:22 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 781 Likes on 344 Posts

They keep the sub amplifiers cool.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:24 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

They are actually turbochargers..
Old 04-12-2018, 04:24 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Is fan blowing air to engine or in reverse venting it out? Have to say the fan on my 996 gt3 when it went into stripper therapy it did not miss the fan.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:27 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
The vent on the top of the engine decklid? That is to let air in(faster you go, more air is forced in), just like a grill would on a car with a front mounted engine. Similarly, the fans are for cooling just like the fan behind the radiator on a car with a front mounted engine.
No, I didn't mean the scoops on the top. I know what those are for. I mean the vent at the base of the wing at the back.

I'm assuming there are fans up front behind the radiators right? That's why I wasn't sure what those ones in the back are for. They're obviously not there to draw air through a radiator when you're not moving.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:28 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Yes they draw air from the top.
Fans work independent from ignition switch and have nothing to do with intake air flow.
They will run until the engine bay temp has cooled below the threshold point.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:33 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

They just make sure that all the rubber and plastic parts in the engine compartment do not melt or catch on fire. In front-engined cars the main radiator fan takes care of that but other layouts typically require such separate fans for the engine compartment.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:47 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

I see people with the lid up after coming off the track. Is that a thing I should be doing?
Old 04-12-2018, 04:53 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

I see people with the lid up after coming off the track. Is that a thing I should be doing?
Personal choice. With new Porsche not much accomplished with open engine bay IMHO.
Fans will cool irregardless of open or closed until the threshold temp is reached, then they shut down. In southern states I bet they work much harder than you'll ever experience up here in frozen tundra...
Old 04-12-2018, 08:48 PM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 107 Posts

That’s it. They are quite easy to remove if you are ever tempted to check them out closer. Quick release mounting and electrical connectors. Small motors on the back side. Not designed to move large amounts of air. They blow down on the motor, not suck hot air up and out.

Only there for once the car is parked or still and engine bay temps get too hot. The engine bay is passively cooled while moving due to air flow under the car.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:14 PM
astolfor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good for you for asking something about the car and not about ADMs..

Quick Reply: Feel stupid asking... but what are the fans for?