Sponsored by:

First track weekend in new 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 08:56 AM
gan1hck
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Not me. I imagine that if I ever get to a point where I feel like the nannies are holding me back somehow then I might CONSIDER turning them off, but so far in my Boxster any time they did anything it was to bail me out.

I took a friend out for a session and he laughed and referred to my driving as "electronixing" around the track.
The PSM does not slow you down or hold you back. It corrects mistakes for you.
I have not gone faster by turning them off...and as I mentioned, Jad is faster then me, and he keeps his turned on.
When the PSM intervenes, I usually don't know what the mistake was. By turning them off, I'm able to feel exactly what mistake was made, and what correction I made to keep the car on track.

Just one philosophy of doing Driver Education...one with it's obvious inherent risks.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:00 AM
gan1hck
Advanced

Julius,
You should paddock with us next time.
chi

Old 04-13-2018, 09:15 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny2five
Thanks for sharing. Just got back from PSDS at Barber and it is an amazing track. Can only imagine how awesome it is in a new GT3.
Yup, I sent my wife there that didn’t trust us yahoo instructors.
Very VIP event and great way to very safely learn the basics form the best.
You get a bit of everything in two days; skid pad, autoX, track, off road..

Originally Posted by F1tifosi
Boys - you have inspired me to have the courage to take my GT3 on the track. Some serious technical drivers/driving that is mega impressive. Great perspective.
Just sign up with a strict, wel organized group.
leave the loosy goosy advanced only days for later

Old 04-13-2018, 09:26 AM
3_PDLS
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 111 Posts

Enjoyed the read; most things that are rewarding you have to work for in life. And props for tracking your new GT3.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:29 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sattman
Are you guys at the skill level where you turn off traction control when on the track?
Never, for same reasons as Deacon posted.
The car does not go faster with nannies off, unless you are making a living driving race cars perhaps.

Originally Posted by gan1hck
I keep my nannies turned off.
I hope you never regret it.

Originally Posted by GT3PDL
Chi has big kahunas and is an impressive driver. I leave all my nannies turned on, at least until I get to know the car better. Last weekend Chi was behind me going through turn 2 and I could practically see him out of my passenger window for a brief moment. Not sure if it was me or the nannies that saved it, but I sure am glad they were on.
Better sage then sorry. Even the best driver in the world can’t brake only two calipers on either side of the car.

Not me. I imagine that if I ever get to a point where I feel like the nannies are holding me back somehow then I might CONSIDER turning them off, but so far in my Boxster any time they did anything it was to bail me out.

I took a friend out for a session and he laughed and referred to my driving as "electronixing" around the track.
This. It will never hold you back.

The PSM does not slow you down or hold you back. It corrects mistakes for you.
I have not gone faster by turning them off...and as I mentioned, Jad is faster then me, and he keeps his turned on.
When the PSM intervenes, I usually don't know what the mistake was. By turning them off, I'm able to feel exactly what mistake was made, and what correction I made to keep the car on track.

Just one philosophy of doing Driver Education...one with it's obvious inherent risks.
Just trying to make it clear for the couple of new track guys here.
If you become advanced as years go by, if you don’t know why the car is helping you, you are taking more risk turning it off.
better learn and understand why and work on it not coming on.

again, I had a very good driver run my car with it off and he couldn’t go faster.
i know why it comes on, sometimes lack of skill and talent, sometimes because I want to cheat and go faster.

One day we all get a blow out, oil or coolant on track and it may save you from a big crash.
If I thought I could go faster I’d risk it for the ultimate personal best lap time, I would turn it off but it doesn’t help.

None of this applies on older cars. 991 only.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:33 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
i know why it comes on, sometimes lack of skill and talent, sometimes because I want to cheat and go faster.

I'm a bit torn on this one. I can't really decide whether it's cheating or just using the tools available.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:42 AM
gan1hck
Advanced

I'm a bit torn on this one. I can't really decide whether it's cheating or just using the tools available.
I would say...if you are a total noobie...you are using all the tools available.

but if you are an advanced driver..then you are cheating...

and then there is the grey area in between.

I remember several years ago when I was driving a e92 M3, and was discussing using MDM with a friend. A female instructor interrupted me and told me to put on my big girl panties on and just turn it off

I did that day, and am now grateful that I made the transition.

On a side note...PSM is much more advanced than MDM, so leaving it on is not quite the same as leaving on MDM.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:10 AM
localmotion411
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 94 Posts

Great post Julius! Love to read your perspective behind the wheel of the GT3 on track for the first time. It's interesting to me having never driven on track, and coming from a Turbo S into a GT3 (Nov.), that a GT car which is track oriented can be such a handful and not simply a telepathic event. Very eye-opening to me just how difficult and demanding track driving really is.

I did finally sort my allocation and order which is at V200 for November delivery, so we need to catch up between now and then. I want to get on a track sooner rather than later, whether that's in a GT3 or a spec Miata or whatever. It's time.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:24 AM
JRidge
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back to the nannies, just to clarify, everybody's comments seem to imply all or nothing - we have the choice of either turning off ESC or ESC + TC. Anybody just turn off ESC and leave TC on? I'm under the impression, perhaps false, that if you turn off ESC but leave TC on, it will let you slide a little but still save you from a serious ****-up. Thoughts, opinions, or anyone with a more precise understanding of which does what please chime in.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:53 AM
gan1hck
Advanced

Originally Posted by JRidge
Back to the nannies, just to clarify, everybody's comments seem to imply all or nothing - we have the choice of either turning off ESC or ESC + TC. Anybody just turn off ESC and leave TC on? I'm under the impression, perhaps false, that if you turn off ESC but leave TC on, it will let you slide a little but still save you from a serious ****-up. Thoughts, opinions, or anyone with a more precise understanding of which does what please chime in.
orthojoe's track build thread has a discussion about it.

I personally couldn't tell the difference between part off and all off....other then no more blinking lights on my dash when it's turned off.

and don't get me wrong...I am NOT encouraging anyone to go PSM off....just my personal preference for doing DE's
Old 04-13-2018, 12:02 PM
bellatrix
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Never, for same reasons as Deacon posted.
The car does not go faster with nannies off, unless you are making a living driving race cars perhaps.

I hope you never regret it.

Better sage then sorry. Even the best driver in the world can’t brake only two calipers on either side of the car.

This. It will never hold you back.

Just trying to make it clear for the couple of new track guys here.
If you become advanced as years go by, if you don’t know why the car is helping you, you are taking more risk turning it off.
better learn and understand why and work on it not coming on.

again, I had a very good driver run my car with it off and he couldn’t go faster.

One day we all get a blow out, oil or coolant on track and it may save you from a big crash.
If I thought I could go faster I’d risk it for the ultimate personal best lap time, I would turn it off but it doesn’t help.

None of this applies on older cars. 991 only.

Reading Trakcar's words on this topic over the years has made it very clear to me that I will not be turning off the nannies.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:17 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Its both

I would say...if you are a total noobie...you are using all the tools available.

but if you are an advanced driver..then you are cheating...
and then there is the grey area in between.

I remember several years ago when I was driving a e92 M3, and was discussing using MDM with a friend. A female instructor interrupted me and told me to put on my big girl panties on and just turn it off
I did that day, and am now grateful that I made the transition.

On a side note...PSM is much more advanced than MDM, so leaving it on is not quite the same as leaving on MDM.
I want to give your female instructor a ride one day and restart that conversation :-)
Did drive a few BMW's and like the 997RS and most other cars it was undrivable with TC on.
So to be fair she might have had a point.

Originally Posted by JRidge
Yeah, great point. I don't get it either. So you can lose the ability for SC to save your *** but not the ability to lose traction on power? Not really seeing the point.
Then again all the buttons on the center console are useless Exhaust is loud anyway all the time, Sport plus doesn't do anything either when you shift manually.

Originally Posted by bellatrix
Reading Trakcar's words on this topic over the years has made it very clear to me that I will not be turning off the nannies.
No big girl panties for you either huh ;-)
Old 04-13-2018, 02:13 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Let's get an answer to the big question. You write you have a car where you were able to get 10/10 performance from it. The GT4 I believe you indicated you were at 9/10. With the GT3 your at 6/10 hoping to improve. Of the three, for fun factor which car do you prefer and enjoyed the most?

We all know that the GT3 will be faster but not necessarily the most fun given our driving abilities.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:16 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm an intermediate DE guy with most of my experience in 911s, and have always left nannies on. They have only ever intervened to save my butt and I've never felt "hindered" by them. I did have a BMW M4 a couple yrs back, though, and that car was nearly undriveable on the track w/ nannies on (even with MDM sport), it was constantly cutting power and at the most inopportune times (probably had to do with an overpowered torquey turbo engine in a FR car with limited grip).
Old 04-13-2018, 02:25 PM
bellatrix
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

Its both

I want to give your female instructor a ride one day and restart that conversation :-)
Did drive a few BMW's and like the 997RS and most other cars it was undrivable with TC on.
So to be fair she might have had a point.

Yeah, great point. I don't get it either. So you can lose the ability for SC to save your *** but not the ability to lose traction on power? Not really seeing the point.
Then again all the buttons on the center console are useless Exhaust is loud anyway all the time, Sport plus doesn't do anything either when you shift manually.

No big girl panties for you either huh ;-)
Definitely not!

Quick Reply: First track weekend in new 991.2 GT3