Sponsored by:

GT3 Touring. Seat selection

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 03:38 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by _fletch
Remind me again what the T stands for in GT3?
moronic comment

your car your money porsche will sell u what u want
Old 04-07-2018, 03:49 PM
brainzito
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 118 Posts

Thanks for the comments. I love the looks and feel of the buckets. I'm young but still find them a PITA to get in and out from.
Some may say it may hurt resale, but I'm planning on buying the car I want, not the next guy that buys it from me...
Old 04-07-2018, 03:49 PM
brainzito
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by sccchiii

you already got rid of GT appeal by going wingless lol

seriously dump fire extinguisher it’s junk and my 2 cents is the best seat ever are the touring LWB with black cloth inserts....pissed they didn’t offer that on the non touring GT3, although my red stripe going from top to bottom is growing on me
Touché..
Old 04-07-2018, 04:36 PM
hiroshikato1
Racer

Received 311 Likes on 168 Posts

I vote getting LWB seats and recovering the center cloth section to Pepita or similar pattern. I almost bought a Touring with 18 ways and had them spec LWB seats as a second set, the price was truly unbelievable, as in almost $30K. Doing the reverse would be much easier/less costly and having a set of LWB seats to sell... you would actually make money. In the end buy what you like but try the LWB seats, they are drop dead gorgeous but those who say they are comfortable... sometimes people make themselves believe certain things.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:18 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

I had a 991.1 GT3 with 18-ways and a GT4 with standard 2-way sofas (basically same as the 4-way sofas standard on 911). Sure they were comfortable and easy to get into and out of.

Now one I have a 981 Spyder with LWBs, and while they are more of a chore to get into and out of, they not only look great and hold you snugly in place during spirited driving, but I actually find them more comfortable and supportive on hours long drives than I did even the 18-ways. I suppose the snug fit and forced posture is better for my back than slouching that the sofas allow.

Importantly, the LWBs seem to change the driving experience in a positive way if you’re into feeling as connected to the car as possible, which most GT enthusiasts are. They go lower and help you to feel at one with the car more than the sofas do.

Pay no attention to the peanut gallery here about which is more appropriate for a GT3 Touring, and get what you like. The car will be super special and hold its value well either way.

I have a GT3 Touring on order with LWBs (CXX ones actually, with houndstooth and piping), and am excited thinking about it. Were I ordering it to use as a DD, which I am not, I would probably go with the standard 4-ways for ease of access and comfort of passengers, as well as to save $$$$. For most people, the 4-ways are just as comfy, if not more so say some, as the 18-ways, and they look the same too.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:21 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 774 Likes on 357 Posts

As long as your body is comfortable with them, I have to say buckets.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:27 PM
AndreasPeriera
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, First post here. Such a great forum!
I am between the Folding Buckets and the LWBs for my Touring. I love the way the LWBs look, especially the carbon fiber back. If the options are between the 4way and the LWBs then definitely the LWBs. They just fit the car better.
At the end of the day, you want your bum feel part of the car!
Old 04-07-2018, 08:03 PM
brainzito
Racer

Old 04-07-2018, 08:14 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,190 Likes on 574 Posts

I too have gone back and forth on this for my Touring build. From a practical standpoint, the 4 ways make more sense. The "back seat" area would be usable for golf clubs, etc and I really like the seat warming function in my 991.1 GTS 4 ways. From an aesthetic and driving standpoint, the LWBs make more sense to me because it is not going to be a daily driver and I want the driving experience to be as different from my PDK GTS as possible. My current build has the LWBs. Now, if I can just decide on a color! Poor me!
Old 04-07-2018, 09:10 PM
brainzito
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
I too have gone back and forth on this for my Touring build. From a practical standpoint, the 4 ways make more sense. The "back seat" area would be usable for golf clubs, etc and I really like the seat warming function in my 991.1 GTS 4 ways. From an aesthetic and driving standpoint, the LWBs make more sense to me because it is not going to be a daily driver and I want the driving experience to be as different from my PDK GTS as possible. My current build has the LWBs. Now, if I can just decide on a color! Poor me!
What color(s) are you in between?
Old 04-07-2018, 11:29 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,190 Likes on 574 Posts

Brainzito - I am all over the place, quite frankly. My GTS is agate grey which I love but I want to mix it up a bit. I'm leaning toward lava orange with racing stripes but that kind of, sort of defeats the "under the radar" purpose of the Touring. But it looks killer. Carmine also has caught my eye. I have also considered GT silver, chalk, and carrara white but I think I have ruled those out for various reasons. I get tired of seeing black, white, silver and grey cars here in LA. I want to be different. Lava would certainly fit that bill, but I figure that if I am going to get lava, I should wing it. A good "problem" to have!
Old 04-08-2018, 03:32 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

I’ve had 4 ways in both my GT4 and now my touring. They fit me extremely well (though the buckets do too). The decision came down to folding and access to the rear seat area.

Currently if I had to do it again I think I’d probably go buckets. Tough call and it might be buyer’s regret speaking, but buckets seem more special. The surprise for me is that the Touring itself is special enough to really justify buckets. In the GT4 I had zero regrets specing 4 ways, but in the Touring they’re almost seem beneath the car (practicality be damned). Folding buckets would be my top choice, but in their absence LW buckets just work- they really play to the “wolf in sheep’s clothing” persona of the Touring IMHO....

I say that despite the fact that I’d probably still skip buckets in the winged GT3, where I almost feel like they’re trying too hard. If I really needed something I’d simply spring for a HANS ready Racetech.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:52 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
I’ve had 4 ways in both my GT4 and now my touring. They fit me extremely well (though the buckets do too). The decision came down to folding and access to the rear seat area.

Currently if I had to do it again I think I’d probably go buckets. Tough call and it might be buyer’s regret speaking, but buckets seem more special. The surprise for me is that the Touring itself is special enough to really justify buckets. In the GT4 I had zero regrets specing 4 ways, but in the Touring they’re almost seem beneath the car (practicality be damned). Folding buckets would be my top choice, but in their absence LW buckets just work- they really play to the “wolf in sheep’s clothing” persona of the Touring IMHO....

I say that despite the fact that I’d probably still skip buckets in the winged GT3, where I almost feel like they’re trying too hard. If I really needed something I’d simply spring for a HANS ready Racetech.
pete i am sure u know that 997 GT2 folding CF buckets with the right connector do work seamlessly on the 991 cars!!! have cake eat it too
Old 04-08-2018, 11:19 PM
mlkissel1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always fun reading everyone opinion. I am agonising over options/ colors in building a .2 GT3. The wing delete is just that, no wing. This does not turn it into a 911R, its a GT3 with no wing. If you like the full bucket seats, get them with or without the wing. Personal preference. I currently owe a .1 GT3, and will go wingless for many reasons. One main one is visibility out the back at night. The whole experience of driving a car like this will not be diminished simply by removing the surf board.......
Old 04-08-2018, 11:37 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 225 Likes on 127 Posts

Just got back from a 250 mile trip from the Bay Area down to Monterey and back. This is the longest trip I've taken in my touring with LWB's, and they were very comfortable for the whole drive. I am so glad I got them! I also hit 1,000 miles today, so I guess she's broken in.

Quick Reply: GT3 Touring. Seat selection