Sponsored by:

Walter Röhrl interview (german) - "EV is deviant/abnormal"

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 10:55 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
I have also spent a period in my career developing F1 engines (during the high-revving 3l V10 era).
Please do tell more.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:22 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 141 Posts

I personally welcome the change however I do hope that ICE doesn't completely die out. I think it's our environmental responsibility at least try and make things better and if EV, trains, and walking/cycling help I am completely for that. I can't write off EVs yet. Who knows we might actually make some really fun and engaging EVs. But if we don't try we'll never get there. I think 10 years from now there will be an EV sports car that will be fun and many of us naysayers will try it and buy in. I'm sure my parents never imagined owning ipads 20 years ago either, I can't pry them out of their hands now.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:33 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by richardbf
I personally welcome the change however I do hope that ICE doesn't completely die out. I think it's our environmental responsibility at least try and make things better and if EV, trains, and walking/cycling help I am completely for that. I can't write off EVs yet. Who knows we might actually make some really fun and engaging EVs. But if we don't try we'll never get there. I think 10 years from now there will be an EV sports car that will be fun and many of us naysayers will try it and buy in. I'm sure my parents never imagined owning ipads 20 years ago either, I can't pry them out of their hands now.
Agree & well said, Lamborghini's EV concept with MIT (while completely over the top) at least sparked a glimmer of hope for me to see cool, sporty EVs in the future. Just keep the ICE cars as the motorcycle in the least for enthusiasts and don't kill them off completely. I think if it means a lot to a person then fair enough absolutely let them drive gas combustion cars (like me), but for 99% of people I bet they would be happy/couldn't care less if the car was ICE or EV if everything else (including fill up/charging time) was the same if not better (like autonomy for traffic). Whatever science and facts dictate is better for the environment I am in favor of. I don't know about the long term effects of the battery and recycling and it's effect on environment.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:46 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 141 Posts

^exactly.

My fear isn't the EV, my fear is being legislated off the road. I think when (not if) driver-less cars become the norm it will start out like cigarettes. "oh you drive your own car, how socially irresponsible of you" and that will eventually lead to groups that will successfully lobby to not allow flesh driven vehicles on the road. Insurers would love nothing more than folks paying small premiums and rarely paying out damages. Not to mention reduced traffic, less accidents, and all the benefits that come from it. Government bodies would love that kind of stuff. I really think that's the direction transportation is going. And yes I know you can still legally smoke but you see what I am getting at. You can't ride your horse/carriage on the streets and that's for good reason. I am sure for the experience horse rider it's perfectly safe to ride most anywhere; but the benefits/practicality of the motorcar and how it fits into society far outweigh the horse. I think driving cars will one day be something you will have to do at a club on private grounds like the equestrian today.

/rant sorry I took things off subject. EVs are coming. Lets embrace it and try and help them be cool rather than stick our noses up in the air.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:31 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,128 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by richardbf
My fear isn't the EV, my fear is being legislated off the road...

I really think that's the direction transportation is going. And yes I know you can still legally smoke but you see what I am getting at. You can't ride your horse/carriage on the streets and that's for good reason. I am sure for the experience horse rider it's perfectly safe to ride most anywhere; but the benefits/practicality of the motorcar and how it fits into society far outweigh the horse. I think driving cars will one day be something you will have to do at a club on private grounds like the equestrian today.
All the more reason to make sure you buy an ICE car that is good on a track (if that's where we'll be relegated to using it someday). We can pull it behind our electric tow vehicle
Old 04-06-2018, 03:32 PM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Please do tell more.
Sorry, I don't think this is the right forum for that. But I can say I have seen numbers like 19970 rpm and 918 hp on the dyno... Unfortunately I ended my employment before we cracked 20000 rpm and shortly after the 2.4l V8:s were introduced.with a lot more restrictions on geometries and also later on revlimits of first 19000 and then 18000. Pffft...
Sorry for OT.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:27 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Porsche should make a 2-door 2+2 electric sports car at some point in the future, the EV equivalent of a 911; but I think they should retire the 911 name when the last petrol powered car roles of the production line.

Of course with VW's money men running the company who knows what they'll do, but that's what I think they should do.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:48 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts

You are crazy if you think EVs are somehow green. The power to charge them has to be generated... more fossil fuels burnt to do it. "Renewable" energy is a scam and not viable.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:56 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PantsFire
Porsche should make a 2-door 2+2 electric sports car at some point in the future, the EV equivalent of a 911; but I think they should retire the 911 name when the last petrol powered car roles of the production line.

Of course with VW's money men running the company who knows what they'll do, but that's what I think they should do.
That will be a sad day for many of us...

Then again, I'm already eyeing older 911s rather than looking at 992 etc...

Originally Posted by tqevo
You are crazy if you think EVs are somehow green. The power to charge them has to be generated... more fossil fuels burnt to do it. "Renewable" energy is a scam and not viable.
Uh.... Solar? My electric bill is $17/mo And in the PNW, hydro?
Old 04-06-2018, 05:03 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

I think it's great that Walter is outspoken on his preferences...and love that the Carrera GT is still in his mental mix. Still in mine, too. Along with small-bore flat sixes and 3.9/4.0-liter GT3 engines, etc.

While I can't see my garage without a sporting ICE car in it, I am open to seeing how EVs develop. The 918 in pure electric mode surprised me...quite fun on a mountain road with a 987 Boxster Spyder on my tail—and the pace wasn't slow. Heard other noises hidden by ICE, tires, wheel bearings, suspension bits, etc. As exciting aurally as a flat six or V10 or even an I4? No. Nowhere close—but the torque vs. grip was definitely fun and there was a bizarre purity to the experience that I really liked. It's hard to remember an ICE car of any kind that felt like such a pure handling experience. The motive power felt more akin to sailing than motoring, like a great force harnessed and applied as I saw fit. Kinda neat.

But the comments about EV being green, etc. are also spot on. Then again...if we get to a spot where it's not crazy to run solar roof tiles that don't wreck the look of your home to an electricity storage device that can power your home as well as a good-looking, great-handling EV daily driver with good range that's parked next to your fun car(s), well, that doesn't sound so bad to me. I always hate using my ICE cars on short trips, where the oil doesn't get up to temp, and a TDI taught me to hate weekly (or more regular…) stops at the gas station.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:06 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
I think it's great that Walter is outspoken on his preferences...and love that the Carrera GT is still in his mental mix. Still in mine, too. Along with small-bore flat sixes and 3.9/4.0-liter GT3 engines, etc.

While I can't see my garage without a sporting ICE car in it, I am open to seeing how EVs develop. The 918 in pure electric mode surprised me...quite fun on a mountain road with a 987 Boxster Spyder on my tail—and the pace wasn't slow. Heard other noises hidden by ICE, tires, wheel bearings, suspension bits, etc. As exciting aurally as a flat six or V10 or even an I4? No. Nowhere close—but the torque vs. grip was definitely fun and there was a bizarre purity to the experience that I really liked. It's hard to remember an ICE car of any kind that felt like such a pure handling experience. The motive power felt more akin to sailing than motoring, like a great force harnessed and applied as I saw fit. Kinda neat.

But the comments about EV being green, etc. are also spot on. Then again...if we get to a spot where it's not crazy to run solar roof tiles that don't wreck the look of your home to an electricity storage device that can power your home as well as a good-looking, great-handling EV daily driver with good range that's parked next to your fun car(s), well, that doesn't sound so bad to me. I always hate using my ICE cars on short trips, where the oil doesn't get up to temp, and a TDI taught me to hate weekly (or more regular…) stops at the gas station.
Loved the latest 000 issue; Kristen interview was fascinating.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:16 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
That will be a sad day for many of us...

Then again, I'm already eyeing older 911s rather than looking at 992 etc...

Uh.... Solar? My electric bill is $17/mo And in the PNW, hydro?
how much did the panels cost you? and show me a solar panel producing factory that is sustained by purely solar panels.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:17 PM
DuckieRS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skip to 4:34 for those not interested in watches:

Old 04-06-2018, 05:49 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stout

This is really an interesting post, as my EV experience has been quite the opposite but I'll say the cars are also quite the opposite. I've owned the Leaf, then the i3, and now a Tesla Model X. All three were great in terms of cost to operate (nearly $0 thanks to solar), and the first two had great build quality (the Tesla's sucks, is a whale, and cannot handle to save its life). The technology is great though, especially in the Teslas. But the driving experience as a sports car enthusiast is ****. These cars are heavy, top heavy as well, 0 noise, and feel unpredictable when carrying speed into corners (I have no idea how they will react as the limit is approached and perhaps even breached). Obviously it is comparing apples to jalapeños in this case with a 918 versus these cars, so maybe there is more hope for the EV sports car than I previously thought if you hold the EV experience of the 918 in such high regard. I will say I don't know how I will be able to get over the loss of the glorious noise of the flat-6, but if the driving dynamics really pick up ala 918 into the mass market sports cars, it will at least ease the sting of entering the EV sports car age *in my opinion*

As Richard said, my fear is not EVs now, but exactly what he said. Being legislated off the roads for autonomous driving etc.... That would take away a big pleasure I derive out of life (I am not alone here I am sure)

Originally Posted by tqevo
how much did the panels cost you? and show me a solar panel producing factory that is sustained by purely solar panels.
What does the panels' cost have to do with the amount of fossil fuel burned per your original post? And I'll be completely honest that I have no idea how "green" my panels are in terms of their production, but I know that they reduced my electric bill from over $1000/mo to $17/mo as I produce more electricity now than I consume and unfortunately in Hawaii I cannot get credited for that, but I will take the cost savings any day of the week as well as reduce the amount of coal burned/emissions pumped into the atmosphere. The more closed loop my system can be, the more I am in favor of it even if there is an argument, albeit a weak one in my opinion, that it is not "green" or eco-friendly upfront to produce the materials needed to create the closed loop system to get me off the grid and off coal powered electricity to reduce emissions. Sure maybe for recycling them after the fact for replacement, I also do not know exactly about how green that might be, but it's been 7 years and knock on wood they are holding up great and hopefully will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

I'm also queued up for Tesla solar roof tiles, I hope their tiles will be better than their cars..
Old 04-06-2018, 05:52 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

No electric for me also. My children are all aware that I prefer ICE.
My office mate was asking me why don't I like Tesla. He ordered one with Government EV credit. He said that my children will like it. I countered his question with this, "If I ask my children which car to choose when I am done driving, Porsche or Tesla, which one will they pick". He did admit that it will be the Porsche. Case close.

Quick Reply: Walter Röhrl interview (german) - "EV is deviant/abnormal"