Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 12:46 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 260 Likes on 160 Posts

Well, I had a chance to try out the MPS4s tires on my GT3 yesterday on the track at Atlanta Motorsport Park. The tires actually felt better than the Race Maxx tires I had before. Now, that may have been due to those tires being 4 years old. But, I was faster and felt more comfortable on the MPS4s tires than I was on the older tires even back last May 2017.

Last edited by parkerfe; 04-10-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:21 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 278 Posts

Thanks for taking teh time tor report on this, I will say that the Dunlop Race Maxx have been a pleasant surprise with how well they've done over a variety of environments, at least while fresh from the factory (rain, snow, wet, dry) the more I am driving

I have not yet had the ***** to try and get on the throttle in the wet with these yet though, I am afraid to see how the rear/back end will step out and will wait to find out until I can find out in a safe controlled scenario. So I am driving very carefully/grandma like in the rain especially when I see that the asphalt is collecting water

Road noise IMO for the Dunlops is miles ahead of the POS Pirelli P-Zeros I have on my C4 and not too bad in my .2 GT3, so if the MPS4S is an improvement over the Dunlops even better
Old 04-10-2018, 05:41 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
Well, I had a chance to try out the MPS4s tires on my GT3 yesterday on the track at Atlanta Motorsport Park. The tires actually felt better than the Race Maxx tires I had before. Now, that may have been due to those tires being 4 years old. But, I was faster and felt more comfortable on the MPS4s tires than I was on the older tires even back last May 2017.
Thanks for the confirmation, knew you'd love them! They've been great on my car.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 04-10-2018, 05:58 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Thanks for taking teh time tor report on this, I will say that the Dunlop Race Maxx have been a pleasant surprise with how well they've done over a variety of environments, at least while fresh from the factory (rain, snow, wet, dry) the more I am driving

I have not yet had the ***** to try and get on the throttle in the wet with these yet though, I am afraid to see how the rear/back end will step out and will wait to find out until I can find out in a safe controlled scenario. So I am driving very carefully/grandma like in the rain especially when I see that the asphalt is collecting water

Road noise IMO for the Dunlops is miles ahead of the POS Pirelli P-Zeros I have on my C4 and not too bad in my .2 GT3, so if the MPS4S is an improvement over the Dunlops even better
Nothing wrong with the Dunlops. I like that they get up to temps a lot faster than the Cup 2's on the street. The car feels like it has a lot more grip on the street with the Dunlops as compared to the Cup 2's. But the Dunlops didn't last quite as long either. On the track the Cup 2's which are more resistant to heat, would last longer than the Dunlops, which others have mentioned. For me, I want to see how much grip I will lose with the MPS4S vs the Dunlops on the street. If it is not too bad (not going 9/10ths on the street), then the extra life and better manners may make the MPS4S the better tire. We'll find out this year, as I am getting them shortly.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:01 AM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Nothing wrong with the Dunlops. I like that they get up to temps a lot faster than the Cup 2's on the street. The car feels like it has a lot more grip on the street with the Dunlops as compared to the Cup 2's. But the Dunlops didn't last quite as long either. On the track the Cup 2's which are more resistant to heat, would last longer than the Dunlops, which others have mentioned. For me, I want to see how much grip I will lose with the MPS4S vs the Dunlops on the street. If it is not too bad (not going 9/10ths on the street), then the extra life and better manners may make the MPS4S the better tire. We'll find out this year, as I am getting them shortly.
Rob, on the street... the MP4S are almost 'Better' than the Cup 2's... (I haven't driven on the Dunlops) but the MP4S have better 'cold grip' than the cup 2's...so around town they were far better for spirited driving, while also being quieter.

Best Regards,
Dave

Quick Reply: new tires