991.1 GT3 Condensation Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 08:02 PM
XPRESSO
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 991.1 GT3 Condensation Leak

I recently had a muffler bypass installed on my 991.1 GT3
My concern is condensatiion leaking on cold startup? The leaks occur at each of the new connections. Unlike the OEM muffler on cold startup where condensation spat out only through the exhaust tips.

1-If you did experience this problem is it likely to remedy itself?

2-Is there a possibility the leak will cause loss of back pressure?

Appreciate any help. Thank you.

Happy Motoring.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:31 AM
1963SWC
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Good questions- when I installed the GRP bypass on my .2GT3, I had all of the related fasteners loose so I could really move around the remaining components and get the best fit. That being said, once the outlets are centered in the cove opening of the bumper, I can bring the passenger side components towards the centerline and snug the clamps sufficiently to not even get a puff of exhaust gas upon startup. I have not been able to get this ideal fit on the drivers side (I can feel exhaust gas gently puffing out during idle so I am sure it is puffing more vigorously under throttle). I do not crank and run my car for lengths of time that would allow condensation to be an issue (run to temp and drive 10+ minutes- don't just let idle for a few minutes in garage) so I haven't worried much about it. I don't think the minimal leakage would cause any pressure problems. That being said, when I pull the bumper again, I am going to loosen everything and try for a more/better sealed fit. Maybe shim the slip fittings to seal any gaps- haven't fully thought it through.

The pic below (retaining watermark for recognition of whomever it belongs to- thanks) accurately demonstrates how mine looks. Better/deeper seating/fit of bypass on passenger side than drivers. Based on the discoloration of where the original center muffler tubes were overlapping and clamped, it seems that the bypass tubes are slightly (.5" each maybe) shorter so there is less overlap and I believe that is the reason for condensation leaks and/or exhaust gas puffing. I love GRP and the guys there so I have chalked it up to a design decision that makes sense for ease of install or otherwise and that it isn't an issue except to my (your?) OCD tendencies.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:23 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by XPRESSO
I recently had a muffler bypass installed on my 991.1 GT3
My concern is condensatiion leaking on cold startup? The leaks occur at each of the new connections. Unlike the OEM muffler on cold startup where condensation spat out only through the exhaust tips.

1-If you did experience this problem is it likely to remedy itself?

2-Is there a possibility the leak will cause loss of back pressure?

Appreciate any help. Thank you.

Happy Motoring.
1 -Will not remedy itself. Have them recheck and see if they can get everything fit and tight. In the end- actually not an issue

2 - You will be fine. No loss in back pressure. I had this issue with an after market exhaust on my GT4
Old 04-03-2018, 08:41 AM
XPRESSO
Intermediate

1963 SWC: I appreciate the feedback. The manufacturer claims this type of condensation leak is not uncommon. Also said, it happens with other brands as well.
My shop did remove the rear bumper for better access. Makes sense. However; it did take a few hours longer than normal to do the install. Not happy with that.
One would think time on task made a tighter fit. Wishful thinking I suppose. I've had bypass mufflers installed on previous P-cars with no issue whatsoever.
Didn't expect to see condensation running out of each joint where the new bypass meets OEM. I would hope there is a solution.
Its been a long winter in the NE which may have contributed to condensation buildup on engine internals. Soon it will be time to get out and drive. Btw: I saw a new Turbo S last week but its the first time I've ever seen Graphite Blue up front and personal....beautiful color. Enjoy.
Thanks again.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:55 AM
XPRESSO
Intermediate

Jimmy-D. While I must admit it bothers me...I feel it shouldn't leak. Had aftermarket mufflers on another GT3 and C2S with no leaks or issues at all. Thanks for getting back appreciate it.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:57 AM
XPRESSO
Intermediate

Default 991.1 GT3 Warning Light Instrument Panel

Last question....Anyone experienced the following? If so what was the outcome? After the required warm-up then driving off I received the following warning within minutes on the multi-function display:
"Oil level above maximum, Consult a workshop, Driving Permitted"

When ever previously checked the oil level has always-been-three segments above the minimum mark as recommended in the owners manual. No oil has been added.
I've owned several Porsches over the years but never saw anything like the above warning message. Could winter lay-up cause that much condensation to form in the engine oil?

Comments please.....Thanks in advance for your time..
Old 04-03-2018, 11:05 AM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last question....Anyone experienced the following? If so what was the outcome? After the required warm-up then driving off I received the following warning within minutes on the multi-function display:

When ever previously checked the oil level has always-been-three segments above the minimum mark as recommended in the owners manual. No oil has been added.
I've owned several Porsches over the years but never saw anything like the above warning message. Could winter lay-up cause that much condensation to form in the engine oil?

that’s very common. The system is very sensitive. U can either drive the car hard for a couple weeks to burn off the extra oil or take it to dealership (or do it yourself) and drain a little oil
Old 04-03-2018, 11:36 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Have seen many posts reporting similar issue with oil level going up. It’s either condensation, fuel dilution or some combination of both. There was a recent post of a used oil analysis from a gt3 RS that showed the presence of fuel in the oil. DFI engines are prone to this, from what I’ve heard.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:45 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Jimmy-D. While I must admit it bothers me...I feel it shouldn't leak. Had aftermarket mufflers on another GT3 and C2S with no leaks or issues at all. Thanks for getting back appreciate it.
It bothered me also in the beginning with my GT4. But the Master Mechanic from Porsche who installed it( and he works on race cars) assured my that it is not an issue. Some times it does not happen and some times it could around the flanges.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:47 PM
XPRESSO
Intermediate

Hey. Appreciate all comments and replies.... Thanks.

Last edited by XPRESSO; 04-04-2018 at 08:24 PM.

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 Condensation Leak