Sponsored by:

what's the next closest car to a cabriolet GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 11:19 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

This happens with every iteration going back to the 996 GT3, Im glad to see the responses haven't changed much
Old 03-11-2018, 11:22 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,193 Likes on 575 Posts

I agree with reacher. I have a 991.1 GTS cab (PDK) which is my daily driver here in So Cal. I have an allocation for an October 991.2 GT3 build (I am going Touring) but I plan on buying my GTS at the end of its lease because it is such a fantastic car.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:13 PM
no401k
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
no401k - To answer your question, the 991.1 S and 991.1 GTS cabs are similar but not the same. The GTS has a wider rear body which looks killer and adds stability. The GTS also has 30 more hp than the S, unless the S is equipped with the x51 power kit. The GTS also has less sound proofing than an S, so it makes for a louder driving experience - in a good way. I do not know if the S and GTS have the same engine soundtracks as I have not driven or heard a 991.1 S cabriolet. I used to have a 991.1 base cab and there is a night and day difference in the soundtrack of the base cab and the GTS.
hey thanks so much. I didnt know the diff is that great for the gts..i thought it's just a bit more power and some black bits on the body....ok we definitely need to check a gts cab out from the all the recommendations on here
Old 03-12-2018, 05:51 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Boxster Spyder is awesome. I drove the last one and it's a seriously fast and fun car.
Originally Posted by no401k
Question for all the more seasoned porsche owners here...
I currently have a 991.1 C2S coupe and a 981 boxster (our first porsche and convertible), and while they are awesome cars, i think we are ready to try something a bit more focused from porsche. We are quite new to the brand (3 years). I am a big sucker for engine sound and normal aspiration, so i have always fancied the GT3. Watched lots of youtube listening to that 9k rpm howl, i can only dream about it. Since we have limited garage spaces, I thought about downsizing to a car instead of 2, which will also be my wife's daily driver (3 mile commute). However, me and my wife have debated this over the last year. as she doesnt want to give up a cabrio being in sunny southern california. We considered the boxster spyder / boxster GTS, but i am a bad manual driver and my wife doesnt know how The 911 cabrio or targa is a bit too familiar to our coupe, maybe we can hear the sound better but performance wise it's probably similar, if not a bit worse with the weight. My wife prefers a turbo s cabrio, but i watched lots of videos and while it is a perfect daily driver with crazy power, I am afraid it might lack in sound and feeling "boring" as many have reviewed..I love the GT3 / GT3RS with their high rev music, but I am not sure if we are ready to part with the cabrio. What would you say is the next closest thing to a cabrio GT3? It must be heavenly listening to that engine with the top down (we got a taste in the boxster, i can only imagine how much better with gt3 engine). I saw a post about some highly modified 911 which is basically a cabrio GT3, but that's prob too much money and too custom for my taste.
Me and my wife does a lot of spirited canyon driving together (no track), so daily driving consideration is important but not a deal breaker. I have a r8 v10 coupe and a 458 italia, and she's not comfortable bringing these to the office as daily. I thought about switching either of these cars to the spider versions, but both lose the glass engine views and IMO the designs are not as clean and sleek as a coupe (not to mention the hassle of trying to find the right one). I am not sure if we are ready to part with the v10 or v8 as they both have very distinct sounds. We can get a GT3 and keep the boxster, but then there's not enough garage space and that means even less seat time to enjoy the gt3. My garage was built with low ceiling so a lift is out of question. I am pretty sure I am overthinking this...wondering if any others faced a similar dilemma. Thanks
https://porschefresno.com/inventory/...tallic+1431361

This car was a RL'er car- has all stock parts plus aftermarket headers etc. Maybe the best sounding one around- it's currently in stock form. I can email over the specs- this was what I was going to say for a cabriolet close to a GT3. Above this I guess I'm going 570S Spider as I'm really liking the 3.8l turbo 8.

I think my first take is the best recommendation as its less than the other car you don't want to already drive to work vs more (more exotic/ more headache etc). I really like the usability of the Boxster - I was blown away at Barrett-Jackson when I had my luggage and it all fit in the boot and rear- front fit a full size garment bag + briefcase. Rear fit a roll on bag... absolutely not a compromise at all. This was in the 718s of course, but if I went Boxster it would defiantly be the Spyder.

Bests,

NB
Old 03-12-2018, 11:45 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by no401k
hey thanks so much. I didnt know the diff is that great for the gts..i thought it's just a bit more power and some black bits on the body....ok we definitely need to check a gts cab out from the all the recommendations on here
I test drove an S and didn't care for it at all. I test drove a GTS and loved it immediately. To me they feel like totally different cars.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:44 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by German_Saint

This car was a RL'er car- has all stock parts plus aftermarket headers etc. Maybe the best sounding one around- it's currently in stock form. I can email over the specs- this was what I was going to say for a cabriolet close to a GT3. Above this I guess I'm going 570S Spider as I'm really liking the 3.8l turbo 8.

I think my first take is the best recommendation as its less than the other car you don't want to already drive to work vs more (more exotic/ more headache etc). I really like the usability of the Boxster - I was blown away at Barrett-Jackson when I had my luggage and it all fit in the boot and rear- front fit a full size garment bag + briefcase. Rear fit a roll on bag... absolutely not a compromise at all. This was in the 718s of course, but if I went Boxster it would defiantly be the Spyder.

Bests,

NB
Gorgeous Spec!
Old 03-14-2018, 02:04 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by German_Saint

Bests,

NB
Ref only

Orig MSRP = $102070 (from database)
Link above does not make it obvious if CPO or not

Quick Reply: what's the next closest car to a cabriolet GT3