Sponsored by:

Need advice before buyiing a .1

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 10:47 AM
avc2014
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Need advice before buyiing a .1

Guys, I have been on the hunt for a .1 GT3 for several weeks now. Seems like a good time to buy as there are lots of them on the market and I feel like I have some negotiating power at this point. Many dealers are still asking big numbers for low mile cars, but many of them are sitting for quite a while.
I know I will wind up with a car that may not have every option I would want, but I am ok with that as I have never bought new and have always bought used and never regretted it.

1. It seems prudent to stick with CPO cars from the dealer. Most .1's are going to be out of warranty this year. Is it worth paying a bit of premium for CPO ? I have mixed emotions on this as I typically buy used from the original owner and can at least get a feel for what sort of life the car has lived. For this car, I am feeling like I should get as much warranty as possible.

2. I am amazed at the non answers I get from dealers when I ask about the extended motor only warranty by Porsche. How do I get a real answer on this? I have not gotten a straight answer on this from any dealer I have spoken with . I have been reading all I can on this forum but would like to see something in writing before I go all in.

3. Other than the obvoius , ( special track seats, roll bar, harness etc. ) What are some of the subtle signs to look for in order to spot a car that has been heavily tracked ? I would like to avoid any cars that have been beaten hard on the track and find a car that has been someones weekend canyon carver / back road burner.
Thanks in advance . This forum is full of great insight and knowledge . Hands down, one of the best car forums going, always has been.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:59 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

The .1 is a great bargain, especially with the prices dealers are getting for the .2. Get the spec you want. Get CPO. The extended engine warranty is in the system. If they pull up warranty data on any .1 GT3 it will show the warranty in their system. Tracking isn’t a bad thing, since these cars are made for it. Get the car inspected (PPI) by another shop. Also make sure the maintenance was done. If it has ceramic brakes, have them check the wear on rotars and pads. Those are big bucks to replace OEM.

Good luck. You are going to love it.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:21 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 739 Likes on 403 Posts

I just went through the same process and bought a .1 in December.

I was in in search of a low mile CPO car with a few must have options. That is your first step, what must you have. For me it was 18 way seats, axle lift, leather interior (no plastic dash for me) and PCCBs. Once you know that it will make the search easier.

If you do go CPO you will most likely be buying from a dealer. I wanted that and was willing to pay a few bucks more for the piece of mind getting it directly from a Porsche dealer. I avoided like the plague these no name “wholesale” dealers. When buying from P dealer they will pull up for you the full history and usually they were the one to do the CPO so you can get specifics on the car.

People can hide hide track scars pretty well. Easy enough to remove a roll bar and replace the carpet (not that a roll bar means it was tracked). Depending on the miles, if a low mileage car and the tires are not the original then possibly tracked. Also under the side skirts if they are pretty rough then “potentially” tracked.

As said below the new engine warranty is just there, no that for sure however for some reason I also avoided any 14. Seems they had a few more problems or at least in my head they have from reading the stories it seems like it was always a 14.

Good luck in your hunt.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:30 PM
jaundice
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my .1 as well. Traded a 997.2 GT3 for it and was a little concerned I would miss it... Nope. Better car in every way. I would go CPO if you can get it, but the engine warranty is there regardless of CPO status.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:39 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by jaundice
I love my .1 as well. Traded a 997.2 GT3 for it and was a little concerned I would miss it... Nope. Better car in every way. I would go CPO if you can get it, but the engine warranty is there regardless of CPO status.
Tell us more. I may be headed down this exact road in the next couple of weeks myself.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:47 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Looking at .1 inventory today on cars.com, its the lowest I've seen in over a year. The .2 has actually helped sales it looks like. The extended warranty a plus too.

The GT3 is hot, and such a big difference in price for what the .2's are getting. Like $40K+ plus in many cases. The .1 is a great alternative to many.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:36 PM
jaundice
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WantA997
Tell us more. I may be headed down this exact road in the next couple of weeks myself.
Much more refined. Better riding, better handling, faster. I really like the PDK. I have a dedicated race car and so still get my fix with "rawness" whenever I want it. I like to drive my cars and the 997.2 was a little difficult to live with on a daily basis. I drive the 991.1 every day its not raining here in TX. Much more comfortable for daily life, but still an amazing machine when unleashed. True Jekyll and Hyde for me. Good or bad, my wife will actually ride in this one. She would not ride in the 997, too bumpy, too loud, even with the DSC controller on the suspension. I have a center bypass on the 991, and so with the exhaust button I can make it gnarly or subdued, depending on my mood. Plus, if you have never been holding on when you invoke "launch control", then you haven't lived the GT3. I could never launch a 997 or any manual for that matter like I can this GT3 with launch control. Its awesome.

Do I miss the manual? Sure, but very very little. I drive the 991 around town in manual mode, so its similar, but when on the highway and run into traffic, I don't kill my leg or the clutch in stop and go traffic. Plus, I have a dedicated track car, so I still get my manual fix.

Not as raw? Sure, but I wanted more refined. Better daily car than 997, but not soft like a turbo. It does have some nannies that the 997 didn't have, but I learned to track in a manual and still drive this one like my 997 and track car. It just makes me feel more like andretti than I really should!

You won't be disappointed. I was really worried I would miss my 997. I haven't and I love this one. I found my perfect spec and perfect color and went for it. I don't have any plans to look back.

Quick Reply: Need advice before buyiing a .1