Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best white for GT3

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 03:49 PM
Gauss
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 9 Posts

Don’t go by photos. They are often deceiving.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:36 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 608 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
No way to judge colors by picture. I've seen them both in person many times, including side by side. What I stated is accurate. Base white is pure, CWM is slightly smoky and more complex. Both great looking. CWM pops more, base white is more pure white. I'd never do CWM on a GT3, but that just me.
Answering like a politician now? I took these photos in person and they looked exactly as captured: base white looks dull and yellowed by comparison to CWM. Please post a photo of any CWM next to base white in the same picture that makes the base white look more pure white and smoky by comparison!

Having personally owned a base white 991.1 GT3 while a track buddy owns a CWM GT4, I have had lots of side-by-side viewings. We both agreed CWM is brighter, purer white in all conditions, with the base white looking a bit faded / aged by comparison. When parked alone with the right lighting, base white looks great. But it's relative warmer color becomes obvious when parked next to CWM.

*Personally*, if I were ordering a white Porsche and CWM was offered, I would go CWM every time. I would encourage anybody that is interested in the comparison to find both colors side by side at the same time, since obviously there are a lot of completely opposite opinions on here!
The following users liked this post:
michaeldorian (10-27-2021)
Old 02-18-2018, 04:43 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Answering like a politician now? I took these photos in person and they looked exactly as captured: base white looks dull and yellowed by comparison to CWM. Please post a photo of any CWM next to base white in the same picture that makes the base white look more pure white and smoky by comparison!

Having personally owned a base white 991.1 GT3 while a track buddy owns a CWM GT4, I have had lots of side-by-side viewings. We both agreed CWM is brighter, purer white in all conditions, with the base white looking a bit faded / aged by comparison. When parked alone with the right lighting, base white looks great. But it's relative warmer color becomes obvious when parked next to CWM.

*Personally*, if I were ordering a white Porsche and CWM was offered, I would go CWM every time. I would encourage anybody that is interested in the comparison to find both colors side by side at the same time, since obviously there are a lot of completely opposite opinions on here!
I agree. I went to my dealership to see them side by side before I placed my order. Regular white looked dull and yellowish. The CWM is not really that metallic, it does not look luxury at all. You cannot tell it is metallic paint unless you get REALLY close. From over a couple feet away it just makes the white look, cool, bright and adds depth.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:43 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Base white is a tad warmer. While CWM excels in sun and mixed light situations, I find it looks a bit dull in the shade.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Base white reminds of refrigerator white. Not a good look especially next to CWM.
Agree 100 percent. It looks like plain pure white, like a refrigerator of yesteryear. Simple with no complexity too it. Like the white on a race car.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:52 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mech33

Not at all. You're confusing brightness with whiteness. CWM is a brighter color due to the metallic in it, but it has a smoky hue to it. Base White doesn't pop as much, but it is pure white, no undertones of yellow or anything. There have only been about a dozen threads on this topic between here and 6SO with almost universal opinion on this.

OP should just go look at the colors in real life. He will immediately know which one he prefers.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:52 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 608 Likes on 372 Posts

Agree 100 percent. It looks like plain pure white, like a refrigerator of yesteryear. Simple with no complexity too it. Like the white on a race car.
I prefer a pure non-metallic white. I don’t desire a metallic. I just wish Porsche used a colder less yellow white on their base white. Luckily CWM doesn’t appear metallic unless you get very close with point source lighting.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:06 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback......CWM is more complex than W but at the same time is simple because the metallic flakes don't overwhelm the tone as they might with a Toyota and/or Lexus metallic. Very hard to tell the difference as some people noted up close or far away. I do like the cool tone brightness of the CWM and will go with that color. Only at night does the CWM have a creamy look......also it does seem to show off the lines of the car more due to reflection off the metallic surface......again thanks and could have gone either way and been happy...................I was going to do Azurro Blue California Metallic PTS or Riviera Blue, but as we know PTS has stopped for now and next run might be October according to my SA at dealer.......
Old 02-18-2018, 07:50 PM
hayn911gt3
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If I had to pick, I would probably go with CWM.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:05 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

White is the best looking white i have seen on a car. Zero yellow to it.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:08 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Here is a pic. No yellow.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:44 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

CWM is definitely more white in person and in photos. You can see here the base white (on the right) is more yellow.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:47 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

The one on the right is a true white. The one on the left is a smoke white with metallic pop to it. Brighter but not true white.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:27 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

The CWM appears to have a cool blue undertone in bright light...
Old 02-19-2018, 02:15 AM
midwestamv8
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one on the right is a true white. The one on the left is a smoke white with metallic pop to it. Brighter but not true white.
This thread is hilarious. So, "true white" is now a yellower white than CWM which is a "smoke white"??

Y'all crack me up. I've owned both a white and a CWM porsche. "True white" is subjective, but what isn't is the shade of the color on the cars. Think of non-metallic "white" as a 3,000k lightbulb and CWM as a 5,000k lightbulb. CWM is brighter and more on the blue side of the spectrum, while white has hints more of yellow and is a softer color.

Quick Reply: Best white for GT3