Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Somebody School Me on Particulate Filters?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 01:30 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

When gas engines were port injected particulates weren't an issue. But since all modern gas engines are now direct injected (as are all modern diesels since long ago), the combustion will in some load points create particulates. (won't go into the combustion mechanisms here) Hence the need for particulate filters also for gas engines when emission legislations are sharpened. The filters are indeed an added component in the exhaust system and have to be controlled in the ECU, with burn cycles etc. They add cost and they add back pressure.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:06 AM
az audi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
When gas engines were port injected particulates weren't an issue. But since all modern gas engines are now direct injected (as are all modern diesels since long ago), the combustion will in some load points create particulates. (won't go into the combustion mechanisms here) Hence the need for particulate filters also for gas engines when emission legislations are sharpened. The filters are indeed an added component in the exhaust system and have to be controlled in the ECU, with burn cycles etc. They add cost and they add back pressure.
So are they similar to a catalytic converter?
Old 02-05-2018, 03:20 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Here is a short write up about the timing of introduction of the filters:
As of September 2017 a Not-To-Exceed (NTE) emissions limit is set for Real-Driving Emissions (RDE) of new car models with a Conformity Factor (i.e. NTE/Euro 6 limit ratio) of 1.5 (1.0 + error margin of 0.5 to be reviewed) for the number of particles. It will apply to all new cars in September 2018. To meet that challenge, the Gasoline Particulate Filter (GPF) has been developed for GDI cars and has been introduced to the market with the entry into force of RDE requirements for PN.

So cars sold to the public in Sept of this year have to meet this NTE limit by Sept 2018.
The website with white papers you can read is:
https://www.aecc.eu/key-topics/gasol...culate-filter/
Old 02-05-2018, 05:14 AM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by az audi

So are they similar to a catalytic converter?
No, catalytic convertors do not require any active cleaning systems since they are not as aggressive in collecting particulates. Cats will last a long time in an exhaust systems, but a Particulate filter requires a cleaning very often(they are more precise), typically an active system is linked to the ecu with sensors from/on the filter sending the info for cleaning cycles. These cleaning cycles require the exhaust to heat to approx. 600 degrees and up to burn any soot/ particulates from the filter.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:16 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

BASF 4-way conversion catalyst explained

Old 02-05-2018, 08:37 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 175 Posts

Interesting!

Forcing the exhaust through a filter has to have some measure of impact on power though as it's causing a restriction by definition.

Is this going to be a sea-change throughout the automotive industry or are there already performance cars that have started using them?

I'm really curious as to what the impact is going to be. I see people in the GT3RS thread saying they're hoping to get a car without the filter and trying to get earlier allocations just to avoid it. I'm really curious as to how big an impact this will really be or whether it'll end up being a total non-issue in the end.

That video about the BASF particulate filter built into the catalytic converter doesn't mention anything about cleaning cycles or anything. The implication is that it's self cleaning when the cat heats up. Is that just overly simplified?
Old 02-05-2018, 09:00 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
That video about the BASF particulate filter built into the catalytic converter doesn't mention anything about cleaning cycles or anything. The implication is that it's self cleaning when the cat heats up. Is that just overly simplified?
I get the impression that this is the BASF filter works. No need for heating.
The original video (in german) is from dec 2014 so a lot of things can have happened.

Mercedes seems to been using particulate filters in some models:

http://media.daimler.com/marsMediaSi...l?oid=14317014

I have no clue of how these filters affect performance...
Old 02-05-2018, 09:17 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Technical stuff about GPF, Gasoline particulate filters:
https://www.aecc.eu/wp-content/uploa...-GPF-final.pdf'

Paper on GPF:
https://www.dieselnet.com/tech/gasol...te_filters.php
Old 02-05-2018, 09:19 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 161 Posts

Anything that adds exhaust back pressure will affect performance.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:22 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by carcommander
Anything that adds exhaust back pressure will affect performance.
So if they do in fact release the GT3RS both with and without particulate filters as is being speculated, it will be interesting to see whether they get different power ratings.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:34 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 296 Likes on 143 Posts

So if they do in fact release the GT3RS both with and without particulate filters as is being speculated, it will be interesting to see whether they get different power ratings.
I don't think it will released with both (with and without particle filters). I was told all GT3RS will be My 2019 only, which implies production only after September, when the regulations are already in effect. But I'm a nobody, so who knows how accurate that info is.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:38 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by GT3
I don't think it will released with both (with and without particle filters). I was told all GT3RS will be My 2019 only, which implies production only after September, when the regulations are already in effect. But I'm a nobody, so who knows how accurate that info is.
Do you think there's any chance they put in the filters for European cars and leave them off for the ROW cars?

I kinda feel like this would be a bigger deal in the automotive news if it were actually any sort of big deal.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:51 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

According to this article Volvo has already introduced GPF in their T3,T4,T5 and T6 models.

The 320 hp engine now has got 310 hp and the 254 hp engine now has got 250 hp.

Torque and milage is un-affected says Volvo.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:00 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 296 Likes on 143 Posts

Do you think there's any chance they put in the filters for European cars and leave them off for the ROW cars?

I kinda feel like this would be a bigger deal in the automotive news if it were actually any sort of big deal.
I think so. Those filters should only apply to cars built for and to be registered in those European countries. The GT3 and GT2RS are supposed to be MY2018 only. There are confirmed GT3 and GT2RS allocation for NA post September, but not European countries. I don't think those late year built GT3 and GT2RS, or GT3RS will come to NA with particle filters. However, some in Germany have stated that some cars, including the 2018 GT3, will not be able to be registered there after September this year, which could be true if production for European countries ends in September and then only GT3RS production with particle filters begins for them.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:09 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Ferrari Superfast is Euro 6c compliant... Does that mean that it has particulate filter or are there exceptions from Euro 6c?

https://www.adac.de/infotestrat/auto...t-f1-schaltung

Quick Reply: Can Somebody School Me on Particulate Filters?