VIP allocations, 918 owners, local dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 12:45 PM
Icutyou
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 14 Posts
Default VIP allocations, 918 owners, local dealerships

Hi guys,

A question came to mind yesterday after discussing with a fellow gt3 owner. I know 918 owners are still guaranteed first right of refusal but how that does work per dealership? For instance, lets say a 918 owner moves from NYC to LA. Can he or she just walk into a dealership in LA and have first right of refusal for their dealership? If their allocations are from PCNA directly does that mean they can take delivery anywhere and spec anywhere but it doesnt effect the local dealerships number of allocations? Or, do they have to return to where they bought the 918?

I have questions, rennlist! help!
Old 01-31-2018, 12:47 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Why post here, there is a 918 forum?
Old 01-31-2018, 12:49 PM
Icutyou
Racer

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Why post here, there is a 918 forum?

You're absolutely right, I just reflexively come here since this forum is bookmarked on my browser.
Anyways maybe someone will know.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:57 PM
Akunob

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

I'm not a 918 owner (clearly) but I would guess that the allocation stays with the original dealer (NYC in your example). The NYC dealer knows their VIP clients and will call the client (now based in LA) and ask if he/she wants the latest allocation. If the VIP client wants it, the car can be configured with and paid for at the NYC dealer and simply shipped/delivered to whichever Porsche dealer the client chooses (heck the VIP might choose ED or PEC Atlanta for all he/she cares). Once you are a VIP, then physical geographic location frankly isn't that big a deal anymore...same goes for other high end items (e.g., real estate, yatchs, etc). That's my guess but I could be wrong. For reference, I bought my two Porsches out-of-state and those two dealers still have my info and contact me periodically for stuff (and send me random gifts etc.)...and I'm not even a VIP!!
Old 01-31-2018, 01:02 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

it stays with your local dealer.. you have to go through the same dealer for all your VIP allocations.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:08 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Since Google is apparently broken:

- if you owned your 918 for six months or less, you are no longer a VIP when the car is sold
- if you owned your 918 for more than 6 months and less than 36, you get three years in the VIP program
- if you owned your 918 for over 36 months, you are in the VIP program for as long as you own the car, up to a maximum of 10 years
- all VIP program purchases are through the dealer that delivered the 918
- only works for the original purchaser of the 918, is not transferred

As of a year ago, I believe there were 250 people left in the VIP program. Probably fewer now.

Here is a link to the VIP brochure published by Porsche:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...fa0a5czuIVS0GQ
Old 01-31-2018, 02:23 PM
shamoo
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the ADM I paid for my darn GT3, I better be a VIP now! :P
Old 01-31-2018, 02:33 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill

- if you owned your 918 for six months or less, you are no longer a VIP when the car is sold
- if you owned your 918 for more than 6 months and less than 36, you get three years in the VIP program
- if you owned your 918 for over 36 months, you are in the VIP program for as long as you own the car, up to a maximum of 10 years

As of a year ago, I believe there were 250 people left in the VIP program. Probably fewer now.

Never quite understand why people participate in a discussion board only to take snarky jabs about people not using google or appropriately using the search function. If you have good info and are willing to share it then by all means please do. If it bothers you they didn't use google just move on. No reason not to just be nice about it. Thanks for providing the good info.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:43 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Never quite understand why people participate in a discussion board only to take snarky jabs about people not using google or appropriately using the search function. If you have good info and are willing to share it then by all means please do. If it bothers you they didn't use google just move on. No reason not to just be nice about it. Thanks for providing the good info.
Probably because it makes the search that much more difficult for those that use by providing a bunch of threads instead of using existing threads and forums. And even if someone provided a searched link with the info those that posted usually don't acknowledge.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:57 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 974 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill

Your information is mostly correct, except one bit.

For any owners who owned their 918 for over 36 months, they automatically receive 10 years of VIP status REGARDLESS of whether if he or she continues to own their cars past 36 months. So technically you could sell your 918 at the 36 months mark and still continue to get VIP status for 7 more years.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:03 PM
Icutyou
Racer

Thanks for the interesting info! Even the grumpy ones!
The whole VIP program really interesting to me, what a way to move a car! Paid in dividends.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:31 AM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

@unotaz I remember you telling me about how it was difficult but possible to change dealerships for your 918 VIP allocations. The Auto Gallery to Rusnak, right? So CAlexio is half right.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:43 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 744 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
it stays with your local dealer.. you have to go through the same dealer for all your VIP allocations.

not true. PCNA would move your VIP allocation to a dealer near you in LA if you moved. Also plenty of 918 VIPs have just moved dealers because they didn’t like and were treated poorly. Has to be approved but happens frequently.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:13 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Probably because it makes the search that much more difficult for those that use by providing a bunch of threads instead of using existing threads and forums. And even if someone provided a searched link with the info those that posted usually don't acknowledge.
Clearly you can be more snarky than that. Only a 4/10 for effort. 😀
Old 02-01-2018, 01:16 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Your information is mostly correct, except one bit.

For any owners who owned their 918 for over 36 months, they automatically receive 10 years of VIP status REGARDLESS of whether if he or she continues to own their cars past 36 months. So technically you could sell your 918 at the 36 months mark and still continue to get VIP status for 7 more years.
Only in the USA.

In Canada the VIP privilege ends the day you sell the 918.

Quick Reply: VIP allocations, 918 owners, local dealerships