Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 metallic rattle at idle + 4000 rpm drone

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 03:06 AM
Gastrogt3
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Disconcerting when nobody can work it out. Had very similar from the R rear of my .1 and as suggested it turned out to be the heat shield. Simple fix and much less worrying than some of the alternatives
Old 01-29-2018, 05:54 PM
gigi02
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Brick
Hi all
My .2 GT3 PDK is 1 week old, late November build, LHD, 600 km on the clock.
Since day 1 I have this bad metallic vibration on thick over, only when the engine is hot; it’s not a rattle from the rear diffuser and it doesn’t seem the exhaust.
The dealer stated it comes from the engine case and opened a “ticket” with Porsche...now I’m waiting an answer.
Here it is https://youtu.be/pSuJXnGZxpY

Also I have a deep drone from 3800 rpm on in every gear (didn’t go over 4500 as I’m running in) in every...and some “clonk” from the rear when passing on some potholes, I thought it was the rollbar but a friend of mine has the same noise on a Touring Gt3 so not the case.

I’m wondering if it could be an engine mounts issue (new and electric on this car respect the hidraulic ones of 991.1) giving all the various noises...can’t think that this 180K euros car has problems at least in 3 different areas !!!!

Any opinion/help is well accepted.
Mr. Brick,

I can't help you with the metallic noise except that it is not normal however I know what you need to look for concerning your drone issue. Hopefully the picture will be clear. There are two solenoids in the rear of the car connected to the exhaust. One on drivers side and another on the passenger side. You can see from the picture that my driver side is disconnected. Someone here had the same problem and out of curiousity I had checked mine a week or two ago and they were both connected. I experienced a drone yesterday and upon checking I saw that it is now disconnected. I am thinking that the rubber hose is a tad short and tends to disconnect. Your dealer should be able fix this. Hope this helps.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:01 PM
Mr.Brick
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts

Hi
Little update, I got my car back today from the wrap shop and I could check all the possible shields in the back of the car...well it’s definitely not a vibrating shield to cause the rattle at idle (warm).

I’ll take the car to the dealer tomorrow morning (snow permitting) as somebody at Porsche told them what to check and which tests to do on my car to better understand the rattle.
One benign hypothesis of myself is some loose baffle inside the muffler...I read of someone having this vibrating baffles on .1 cars.
Obviously I will update.

I read all the various complaints about the exhaust valves transition around 3800 rpm to cause the drone, and that should be my case too.
Will check the vacuum hoses (thanks for the suggestion!) but as far as I understand the drone is always there even when the hoses are correctly connected.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:52 PM
Mr.Brick
Instructor

Hi

Still no solution from Porsche for the noise...
The car is sitting at the dealer for 3 weeks now and nothing happens, Stuttgart asked for an engine oil sample and 2-3 videos...but still no decision has been taken.
My patience is now ending.

I discovered another car in Italy with only 200 km on the clock and the same noise...both cars are November builds.

Please listen to your cars HOT, it’s very strange that only 2 cars in the same country sound like that and ROW is rattle free : )
Old 03-15-2018, 02:58 PM
Mr.Brick
Instructor

Problem “fixed”...after 4 weeks sitting at the dealer the answer from Weissach was “we know that noise, it’s not an issue”

Meanwhile several .2 GT3s of friends developed the same rattle...sometimes at idle speed (850 rpm), sometimes 100-200 rpm higher, it depends on the oil
temperature and how you drive the last miles.

I also found videos of customer and factory cars on with the noise (and nobody complaining, as here on RL).
The yellow SportAuto car does it as well....so it shouldn’t be something that makes the car slower : )
First few seconds of the video:

About the 3800-4500 rpm cabin drone in my fully stock car...I will try to disconnect the exhaust valves or fitting a rear by-pass...or both.
Even swapping the side mufflers with “Cup” tubes could be a try.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:04 PM
gigi02
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Happy for you it is solved and you can drive it as it is meant to be. I would still not do a launch control if you have not reached circa 2000 miles. I think the rattle comes from the metallic tube (see picture above) which gets into contact with the exhaust line. Bending it ever so slightly solved my issue.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:29 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

I have a rattle that I hear with the exhaust valves open around 4,000 rpms. I had it at the dealer for a while, they looked through everything, couldn't find any issues, and made some adjustments to the under-tray (which they said was a bit close to the header). I still hear the noise and they said its just part of the character of the car. The car drives great and I don't mind ignoring the issue until I can consistently hear it. Not sure if anyone else had that this problem and if/how it was resolved.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:35 PM
trlin
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 27 Posts

I’m convinced some of these .2’s drone from 3800 to 4200 RPM. Mine does the same.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:48 PM
991.2PorscheGT3
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Brick
Hi all
My .2 GT3 PDK is 1 week old, late November build, LHD, 600 km on the clock.
Since day 1 I have this bad metallic vibration on thick over, only when the engine is hot; it’s not a rattle from the rear diffuser and it doesn’t seem the exhaust.
The dealer stated it comes from the engine case and opened a “ticket” with Porsche...now I’m waiting an answer.
Here it is https://youtu.be/pSuJXnGZxpY

Also I have a deep drone from 3800 rpm on in every gear (didn’t go over 4500 as I’m running in) in every...and some “clonk” from the rear when passing on some potholes, I thought it was the rollbar but a friend of mine has the same noise on a Touring Gt3 so not the case.

I’m wondering if it could be an engine mounts issue (new and electric on this car respect the hidraulic ones of 991.1) giving all the various noises...can’t think that this 180K euros car has problems at least in 3 different areas !!!!

Any opinion/help is well accepted.
I have the exact same metallic rock tumbler sound at idle. I notice it when I’m going less than 10mph coming to a stop as well. Under acceleration it disappears. I had the Porsche mechanic listen to it. He did not have it up on a lift, but quickly stated it’s normal for .2 GT3’s. It sounds like a metal heat shield rattling on the exhaust. I read some suggestions below and will look at the clearance between shield and exhaust. However, did anything come of this or simply after 4 weeks at the dealership they said it was normal (as they did mine).
Old 05-08-2020, 05:25 AM
MacFever
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

some “clonk” from the rear when passing on some potholes
There is Porsche bulletin for that problem
I went to my dealer last week and my car is scheduled to replace both rear springs with an updated version

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
coil spring TSB.pdf (2.08 MB, 244 views)
The following 3 users liked this post by MacFever:
991.2PorscheGT3 (05-08-2020), AGO (10-11-2021), maxmartin (05-30-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 06:11 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by MacFever
I went to my dealer last week and my car is scheduled to replace both rear springs with an updated version
I need to have this done. I get the clunk sporadically but it really has not bothered me enough but since they are doing this for free I should go ahead and do it. I will print this and give it to them

Thanks
Old 05-08-2020, 06:14 AM
MacFever
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes I also needed to show them the bulletin before they even wanted to look at the car...
Thanks Rennlist
Old 05-08-2020, 09:53 AM
991.2PorscheGT3
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MacFever
Thanks for the service bulletin. I’ll hold onto it. Thankfully, I don’t have any issues driving over bumps. I have this rattle even at idle while stationary. I checked the heat shields and they are not contacting exhaust. I guess I will just enjoy the car for now and see if others have the same issue. Perhaps, their dealers will find a different solution? Thank you Rennlist members! Puts my mind at ease knowing I’m not the only one.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:56 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

I also had the springs changed, after I heard a clunk when passing speed bumps. They found the coil hit described above, and that the springs had turned somewhat. In addition, they found that the dampers had leaked, so they were changed at the same time. It meant however, an extra 1.5 week sitting in the workshop waiting for the dampers being shipped from Germany... Ask the workshop to lift the rubber boot on the damper rod and check. This leak developed after only 11000kms.
The following users liked this post:
991.2PorscheGT3 (05-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 10:13 AM
991.2 Gt3 Rs
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I have that same metal rattle on idle. It is suppose to be normal so I hear. It sounds like metal grinding. When the car starts up there is no grinding rattling noise present. As soon as the car starts to warm up and gets over 85 oil temperature the noise comes back every time.
The following users liked this post:
991.2PorscheGT3 (05-08-2020)

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 metallic rattle at idle + 4000 rpm drone