Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 05:22 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3T

What about Satin Aluminium wheels? 😝

I am bringing this thread back.

I debated long and hard on this. In the end I went black exterior with standard wheels and chrome accents, just like the photo above. This is such a classy and retro look... truly timeless.

Post delivery, I am taking a gamble on the end result and am having the following done:
- refinishing wheels from standard finish to satin black with a diamond polished lip (to tie in with chrome accents and separate the wheel from the tire)
- full PPF
- satin Black 911r stripes and side decals

The major risk lies in if the chrome accents will suit this look or if it will be a fail.

The end result will be an almost all black Touring with chrome accents that can later be returned to a classy retro look without much cost or damaging the PPF.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:48 AM
BOS991.2
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

sorry didn’t even know this thread existed, here’s a picture of my all black touring from this weekend on a drive with a couple of buddies.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:03 AM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber

I am bringing this thread back.

I debated long and hard on this. In the end I went black exterior with standard wheels and chrome accents, just like the photo above. This is such a classy and retro look... truly timeless.

Post delivery, I am taking a gamble on the end result and am having the following done:
- refinishing wheels from standard finish to satin black with a diamond polished lip (to tie in with chrome accents and separate the wheel from the tire)
- full PPF
- satin Black 911r stripes and side decals

The major risk lies in if the chrome accents will suit this look or if it will be a fail.

The end result will be an almost all black Touring with chrome accents that can later be returned to a classy retro look without much cost or damaging the PPF.
I would do PPF and Satin stripes and decals but please don't do the wheel. Your car looks perfect.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:25 AM
rfg
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All black GT3

Took delivery of my all black touring about 3 months ago. Black wheels and trim are a bit extreme but after many vehicles with silver-tone trim I wanted to go all the way. I wish black or red calipers were an option with the ceramic brakes. In the cabin I got all (most?) available leather trim. For some reason the bottom trim of the door, where the storage area is, can only be done in embossed vinyl, and unlike my 997 C4S which had a leather roofliner, the GT3's comes only in Alcantara. Side note/question: I have tried to abide by the <4k rpm break-in recommendation in the owner's manual, but find it hard not to hit 5k in " normal" driving. Sorry if there is a separate thread for this. Do other owners find the 2k mile break-in recommendation to be based on mechanical reality - and abide by it?
Old 07-04-2018, 05:07 AM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 179 Posts

Congrats. The all black look on these cars is quite special, particularly with those satin black wheels. Yes, it's a shame that we can't pick the color of the calipers when mostly everything else is so customizable. But it's a Porsche branding thing. The red works so perfectly in this case where the yellow is a bit too conspicuous. Simple solution really. Just have them painted. Regardless, your car looks awesome.

As far as break-in goes... hung jury, split down the middle from what I can tell. I follow the owner's manual because I'm naive like that.
Do what you feel is right.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:37 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by rfg
Do other owners find the 2k mile break-in recommendation to be based on mechanical reality - and abide by it?
2k miles is very conservative to the point of being too much. I’m comfortable starting to work revs up 1k at a time after 500 miles; full beans by 1k miles. Most critical is letting the engine fully warm to get proper clearances before getting on it. Keep in mind the race versions of these engines have zero break-in: assemble then go qualify. However they do get fully warmed and for the R/ RSR clearances start on the high side.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:29 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Here is mine before wheels are refinished in satin black with a diamond polished lip and satin black stripes/decals.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:39 AM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Does it really get any better than all-black on this car?

Old 07-10-2018, 11:09 AM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

BrntRubber: CONGRATS! Your car looks absolutely amazing!! Did you do the work yet? Can't wait to see the wheels and stripe. If you haven't done the stripe yet, consider 3M Grey.
I spec'd a black Touring and belabored over stripe color for a month. Grey is the next lighter shade and would look stunning on your Touring. Although, 3M Black Matte is nice too. Can't go wrong either way.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:12 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Picked her up in Zuffenhausen last week.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:08 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
BrntRubber: CONGRATS! Your car looks absolutely amazing!! Did you do the work yet? Can't wait to see the wheels and stripe. If you haven't done the stripe yet, consider 3M Grey.
I spec'd a black Touring and belabored over stripe color for a month. Grey is the next lighter shade and would look stunning on your Touring. Although, 3M Black Matte is nice too. Can't go wrong either way.
Thank you!

No the work will be done towards the end of summer.

i was leaning towards Satin Black or Matt Black to match the wheels and plastic trim pieces around the car. I want a subtle contrast. After seeing pics of Whoopsy’s 911R I just love it.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:41 PM
jaxdroproll
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any Touring owners in the Los Angeles area?
Old 07-17-2018, 01:55 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxdroproll
Any Touring owners in the Los Angeles area?
Old 07-29-2018, 07:47 AM
itsujack
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine just landed here in OZ. Went for a Sunday morning run with some mates. Car is epic!

Quick Reply: Has anyone done All Black GT3 Touring